Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do we need default home directory folders?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Do we need default home directory folders?

Quote Originally Posted by foresth View Post
    Seriously, does really anyone use this pre-created folders?
    There are no precreated folders so no one uses them. If you are talking about osx then yes many people do.

Quote Originally Posted by ixus_123 View Post
    I for one wouldn't like any more folders in the home folder.

If I want them I'll make my own. It would annoy me to get an install of Ubuntu and them have to go about removing things.
    I do not like that there are tons of packages included in ubuntu-desktop that I do not want. I remove them and it doesnt bother me. Look this is something for a new user. If you ever had to deal with someone who is computer stupid you should know that if they arnt given folders from the start everything ends up sitting in a slue of 'New folder 1-1million'.

As for smart folders, I do not think they will make nautilus any heavier. Since it already can play music files and display images. It would just take up the bar where the Trash: page has the 'empty trash' button.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Do we need default home directory folders?

I think it'd be an interesting experiment.

What annoyed me about those folders in Windows wasn't there existence but their automatic re-creation after deletion; for example, if I don't have any eBooks, I don't want a My eBooks folder.

What annoyed me about the predefined folders in Mepis was how many of them there were (more than just a few).

A simple Documents, Music, Pictures would probably do the trick--one of the few things OS X gets right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123