Thread: Linspire 'open minded' to making patent deals with Microsoft

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Exclamation Linspire 'open minded' to making patent deals with Microsoft

Oh boy...you thought Novell would be the only one. Seems Microsoft's FUD has had some effect on Kevin Carmony (who used to post here) and Linspire.

Red Hat Does Well, But Linspire Needs a Gentle Shake

Linspire engages in coversations with its customers. Bear in mind that Linspire has at one point given Rob Enderle, whom I mentioned an hour ago, a virtual pat on the shoulder. This harmed its image.

On the other hand, Linspire has been getting close to Canonical and it even uses Ubuntu as its codebase, having replaced Debian. Mark Shuttleworth clearly explained to Matt Asay that he will not tolerate these ‘protection racket’ attempts. Perhaps Kevin Carmony (of Linspire) and Mark should speak.

Tread Carefully, Linspire, or Face the Consequences.

FUD is FUD. It is not actual risk. It’s imaginary and perceived risk and you seem like an innocent victim here. Please do not humiliate yourselves, Linspire. You are as safe as everybody else.
    Linspire Letter - Will 235 Microsoft Patents Hobble Linux?

Message board discussion thread on the topic, with Kevin Carmony

One thing I found quite amusing was the huge amount of negativity towards Kevin's idea in that thread. And yet he still seems to be going forward with it as of yet.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Linspire 'open minded' to making patent deals with Microsoft

Linspire? that's a surprise, NOT !

edit...this is not a dig at this post, it's just every time I hear the name Linspire, "fifth columnists" spring to mind.
    Last edited by lepz; May 17th, 2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: edit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Depending on the real MS stance on the patent issue, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark Shuttleworth having the same ideas. Because "Ubuntu has to survive", of course.
    Last edited by zugu; May 17th, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
    When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand. - Raymond Chandler

Beans

To each there own. I made a patent deal with them last night.
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

"Linspire Inc. on June 14 will announce an agreement to license VoIP, Windows Media, and TrueType font technology from Microsoft for use in its Linux distribution. Additionally, the deal includes protection for Linspire customers against possible violations of Microsoft patents by Linux, and other cooperative measures. "

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9642338710.html

Sheesh...
    Does this effect having CNR with Ubuntu? Ubuntu users won't be extended any protection correct?
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To tell the truth I would have expected linspire to be the first to sign any paten deal. It's not like they have any community to ruin. Apart from that, I thought they already paid for a number of royalties in their distro.