Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft's Vista sales power up

kevinlyfellow is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Microsoft's Vista sales power up

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I personally do not know of anybody that has rushed out to go and buy Vista. Considering you can buy a PC for the price of the OS I don't see many people doing so until they absolutely have to.

I also suspect the majority of those sales are due to OEM Vista bundled/forced with new PCs.
    I know people who rushe... oh wait, they found ways of acquiring for free... never mind.

Some microsofties I know were excited by it, but talking to them after they got it (free from companies/school site licensing) they just kinda shrugged and said, "Yeah, its nice."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
    Hmmm... besides bundled sales and OEM, maybe many of these figures are from companies and corporations which upgraded over to Vista?
    No corporate in their right mind would upgrade to Vista so soon unless they have an egit for a CIO. You wait 1-2yrs for the product to mature & settle before you let it loose in your company. And during that period you do LOTS of lab testing and role it out to 'beta' testers which is usually the IT staff and handful of others for testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

No corporate in their right mind would upgrade to Vista so soon unless they have an egit for a CIO. You wait 1-2yrs for the product to mature & settle before you let it loose in your company. And during that period you do LOTS of lab testing and role it out to 'beta' testers which is usually the IT staff and handful of others for testing.
    Right. I didn't know that. Now, I do.

Beans

I also suspect the majority of those sales are due to OEM Vista bundled/forced with new PCs.
    I can't help but agree with you. I'm currently looking for a laptop, and I'm having a hard time finding one that suits my needs without Vista. Oh, and for some odd reason (not really) most places "recommend" Vista Ultimate....
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man
    I have to agree with many people above, the 40 million number is VERY deceptive. There are a lot of things Microsoft does to fudge the numbers, first and most prominently this number does not actually represent consumer sales, this figure is the number that is "in the channel" that basically means it represents the number of licenses Microsoft has (unfortunately) sold to retailers like Dell HP etc, as OEM.
    yup, in other words, units shipped. not units sold and deployed. BIG difference. that 40 million figure figure also don't account for returns where people have been disatisfied...and there have been a lot of them.
    the actual figure for units sold and deployed is more like one or two million.

and for some odd reason (not really) most places "recommend" Vista Ultimate....
    hmmm i wonder why that is
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; May 16th, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
    WARNING FOR THOSE NEW TO LINUX: NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does.

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh, and for some odd reason (not really) most places "recommend" Vista Ultimate....
    I think it's part of the agreement microsoft makes with OEMs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposed View Post
    I think it's part of the agreement microsoft makes with OEMs.
    its more likely to be the fact that customers need to splash out that much extra to buy a bigger and more powerful PC.
    WARNING FOR THOSE NEW TO LINUX: NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does.

Beans

Well vista has some nice features and i guess people are bored at looking at the same os for 5 years in a row

byw most places recommend Home premium not Ultimate, which is really logical if you look at the feature list.

Beans

Subtract 1 for the statistic, I bought it, January 29, and overwrote it with Ubuntu soon after, so numbers bought is deceptive.

Beans

I personally do not know of anybody that has rushed out to go and buy Vista. Considering you can buy a PC for the price of the OS I don't see many people doing so until they absolutely have to.

When Xp was out I knews there was a lot of people going to buy it and to upgrade...with vista I know only few of my friends, and half of them got back to XP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast