Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: What pushed you over the edge?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: What pushed you over the edge?

My ancient Adaptec external CD/ROM burner on my ancient Windows 2K (upgraded from NT 4.0!) machine died. Since I was going to need to somehow actually spend money on my machine I decided to just go in for a new rock-bottom website-special Dell. Since it was a brand new machine, I just decided to stick Ubuntu Breezy on it (which had just been released). I kept my old Win2K machine around for a while, until I eventually made the crucial decision to start reading my email on the new Linux machine. Once I did that, I was motivated to get the last few crucial apps running on the Linux machine (most notably, JPilot, for my Palm synching) and then there was no looking back. A few months later, I had to boot into the XP partition which came installed on my new machine (even though I didn't want it) to test out a website in Internet Explorer and it took so long to boot, with 10 million pop-ups coming up trying to sell me a subscription to some anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, whatever, that it it hit me how I had gotten used to the "quiet boot" of Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Windows Activation / Toshiba bundled restore disks

I was dual-booting ubuntu for quite a while, and not really using the windows partition much anymore. Just for a few choice applications I was using for school. (AutoCAD) But I really didn't need those much anymore as I was just starting to use a school computer for that.

What really pushed me over the edge was that I wanted to reinstall windows. (it was getting full of crap, and a base XP upgraded to SP2 install is huge and full of lots of extra crap) Using the toshiba system restore disks was not an option as they delete all partitions, and then copy a pre SP2 image over to the computer that is full of extra toshiba supplied crap. So I borrowed my friends XP SP2 disk and reinstalled the OS, I was going to use my CD key (on that horrible windows sticker on the bottom of my laptop) but guess what? I have a special toshiba key and it will only work on a toshiba cd. So I had an unactivated version of windows. That coupled with the fact that toshiba changes something in their Geforce 420 Go video cards so that they don't work with the official Nvidia drivers. (just toshiba's 3 years out of date drivers) and I couldn't get any of the http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ drivers to work properly. (The ubuntu supplied nvidia drivers worked great) This convinced me to delete the 15 gb waste of space fat32 partition off my computer and scrape the "Built for windows XP" sticker off the laptop.

I upgraded to dapper during the beta testing stage, and I've been really enjoying it. Ubuntu works great and no stupid licences or activation crap.

P.S. Toshiba makes good laptops, I've had this one for three years now and no problems, but they do screw with somethings to lock you in to their parts and other crap. (only toshiba cd/dvd drives & internal wireless cards will work)
    Peter VK

Beans

also when windows implemented the windows update validation tool and unlicensed windows user is denied of having windows xp updates... funny windows now allows them to get updates (except sp2) and only notifies unlicensed users that they are not using authentic windows. and if i can remember it that was last year where linux just sparked like a big bang... boom everyone is using it and they hate windows.
    Last edited by ubuntoy; June 30th, 2006 at 04:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Been using Linux for about 4 years now, since I was 13, on my own computer. I started using linux, as i was recommended it by a friend. I wanted to use the system to save all my GCSE coursework when at Secondary School. This worked really well, as I could HTTP/FTP/SSH data to my box. I still use Linux now for absolutly everything. I am a keen programmer, and can do everything on Linux. I still do need a ******* box, for programming PIC microcontrollers (as I havent found a compiler quite like CCS C compiler for Windows).

However. After using it for a few years, you certainly do, or I have, got used to using it, and the advanced/extended features it offers over windows.

Im convinced. And more people are moving over now, especially with Windows Genunie Advantage (which appears more of a disadvantage to everyone!)

George Smart, M1GEO
    Ubuntu Linux
    ---

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Talking Re: What pushed you over the edge?

The very simple truth is that I have been using knoppix cd's for years but I finaly got so sick of using windows and having to keep the thing running virus free I switched to this little distro that I heard of called ubuntu and never looked back

maily b/c of the power the speed the smootness and the open source I love the open source part =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I purchased a laptop brand new. WinXP crashed and I had to reformat. When I went to 're-register' my copy of ******* and it said my copy was 'in use (or something like that). I called Microsoft and they were supposed to get it resolved. They never did. So I switched to a a few Linux distros and finally ended up using Ubuntu. I'm actually glad all of this happened--I love and Lunux and I love Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Basicly I wanted to try Linux for almost a decade but anyways I was a safe windows user with Computer associates anti virus, Spyware blaster and Sybot search and destroy, I also had a2 malware remover. Anyways I always disliked spending all the time needed to update all thse and run them. But what realy pushed me over the edge was all the the MS B$ I was reading, And mostly the Vista news with a base watered down os starting at like huge amounts of money etc. So I was seriosly thinking about giving Linux a try. The thing that finaly pushed me over the edge when I was using MSN and when't to check for what used to be free custom smileys listed for $3 to $4 for a couple smileys. That was the last straw. Like get real like im going to pay microsoft $3 for two smileys. It got me thinking that Windows was turning like the greedy convience store in the middle of no where selling chocklate bars fpr $5. After years of denial I finaly saw Microsoft for what it realy is.
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718