Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

Beans

Re: How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

In theory you don't need a separate install for every app, you can just install them on the same fake C drive like you wuld in windows. If you want a clean install you can remove the .wine directory. Warning: this will remove all your wine programs. You can also have different fake c drives for wine at the same time if you want to isolate apps and settings, you can specify another location for the wine directory by setting the WINEPREFIX enviroment variable: export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wine then create the directory by executing wineprefixcreate
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    That shouldn't happen and makes me wonder if you even have the latest wine version which is 0.9.37 (issue wine --version).

If you have the latest version and the problems are still there, type regedit in a command line, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D and add a new string value: UseGLSL and give it the value "enabled"*(you need to add the key Direct3D if it's not there already). See if that helps.

Also are you using an ATI card? If so that might be the source of your problems, I have no experience with ATI cards in linux but I hear lots of people are having problems with them.
    Yes, I have 0.9.37.

I have basically no experience editing registry though, so if you could perhaps walk me through it....
    Under wine there is no Direct3D folder.

I have an nVidia 8800 GTS.

Beans

Ok editing the registry is pretty easy, I assume you already navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\, If the Direct3D key isn't there, create it by right clicking the wine folder icon and clicking "add key", now type Direct3d and hit enter. Click on your fresh key and right click in the empty field on the right, in the popup menu go to new > String value (I think it's called string value, my install is dutch so im not sure look for something similair, a string is an array of characters). Call the string value UseGLSL hit enter right click your new String value and click edit, type "enabled" (without quotes) and hit enter and exit the registry. Fire up steam
    I go to sleep now so I hope you get it right.

Edit: rereading your post, maybe you misunderstood me, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\ is not a folder. You have to run regedit: Open a command line type regedit and hit enter, from there you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by bastiegast; May 15th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, I didn't really notice any difference...

But the issue I want to fix the most is how I can get it to just run in one of my monitors without having to turn the other one off... Because otherwise it wants to run it at a widescreenres.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Joe View Post
    Well, I didn't really notice any difference...

But the issue I want to fix the most is how I can get it to just run in one of my monitors without having to turn the other one off... Because otherwise it wants to run it at a widescreenres.
    What make is your video card and what method are you using for dual monitor display?

Nvidia's twinview, for example, treats both monitors as a single display and there is no way to display a fullscreen app on just on monitor while have the second monitor in use. You need to use a windowed mode, or implement a metamode in your xorg.conf with an entry like "1280x1024, NULL" to disable the second monitor when the game is running. Dual X screens will work too, but those have other issues.

Beans
    Hidden!

Forget it, I switched to Linux to get away from the script kiddies and all the rest of the punks who think they own the Internet.
    Wine is for people who want a little cheese with it.

Leave windows alone, don't look back, there be dragons.
    It hurts one time, and you're done.
    Last edited by topsites; May 16th, 2007 at 06:33 AM.

Beans

steam just fully locks up and freezes on me. All my drivers are up to date. I installed "Gecko" but im not sure if it's on properly, if not that may be the problem. Is there anyway I can check?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Macca86 View Post
    steam just fully locks up and freezes on me. All my drivers are up to date. I installed "Gecko" but im not sure if it's on properly, if not that may be the problem. Is there anyway I can check?
    Do this in a terminal:

Code:
    wine iexplore http://www.winehq.org
    If Gecko is not properly installed it will prompt you with the steps needed to do so.
    Last edited by Beren Camlost; December 21st, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123