Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

Ok, so I looked it up, and it says, "Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike 1.6, Source", then it says, any games that run on the Half-Life or Source engine.
    Does that include Garry's Mod, HL2 Deathmatch, HL Source, Episode 1, DM:MM, and SiN: Emergence?
    Also, will I be able to run any mods?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

Sounds like anything originally based Half-Life series. After all they are just mods of the original game and use the same technology. So it looks like all should apply. But I don't know if SiN will, not to familiar with it or it's engine. Life would be easier if Steam came out with a linux version but I don't think that will ever happen.

I suggest looking at the gaming forums here to get a hands on experience opinion.

Beans

FYI if your running an ATI card you will have a much harder time getting source based games to run. On 7.04 with WINE 9.33 installed via the WINE apt repository I could only get source games to run in a 1024 x 768 window on a 1680 x 1050 widescreen monitor and it was not stable. This was on a AN8-SLi with a opteron 165 and 2 gigs of memory and an x1800xt video card with 512 megs of ram. Also alot of the advanced video settings were unavailable. I'm not sure if this gets better with a Nvida based video card or not.

Good luck and please post your results if you don't get it to run.
    z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, I got it running, and the first thing I downloaded was half life, becuase it was smallest.

First impressions: It works, but there are definitely problems.
    1. I can't change my resolution.
    2. Even when it's in fullscreen mode, it's not fullscreen, it's in a 'window' but it doesn't have borders.
    3. When I start a game, I can look around, but once a press a key, it locks up, and I can't move or look around or anything. But I CAN press esc and get back to the menu.

I'll keep trying to get it running though.

EDIT:

I tried manually changing the resolution from the launch option to 1152X864 but it still remains at it's unknown but small resolution...
    Last edited by Hobo Joe; May 15th, 2007 at 02:51 AM.

Beans

I suppose the obvious question is ask whether your drivers are all up to date.

My experiences when running HL with Wine were reasonable, except for the fact there was a half-second delay between a sound event and hearing the actual sound. You'd fire a gun, see the muzzle flash and recoil, but the gunshot would be played a short moment later. It wasn't a critical thing, but it works perfectly in Windows, so...

Beans

Well how does Counter Strike 1.6 work through wine? Anyone tried it or is it the same problems as it is with half.life?

Edit: Now i tried Counter Strike 1.6 thorugh steam on my ubuntu. Works perfectly to me
    Last edited by paparappa; May 15th, 2007 at 08:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just tried CS 1.6, and i got like average 40 or so fps in windowed mode.
    CPU 2.6Ghz, 256 MB of Ram and ATI Radeon 9200 SE (haha). Using opensource drivers or smthing, runs well. ^^

Beans

Ok this is quite embarrassing. I started steam when it was installed but then i shut down.. Now i want to start it again and i dont know how What should i write in the terminal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

cd to steam dir, and then wine steam.exe

Beans

Edit: Sorry, missed the Sudo part

However i still get an error though it looks like this now:
    Code:
    fixme:msi:MSI_OpenDatabaseW open failed r = 80030050!
    Edit: Sorry, again!

I just wrote the thing totally wrong, it works perfectly now
    Last edited by paparappa; May 15th, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast