Thread: Unreal Tournament 3 with DirectX 10 support

Beans

Unreal Tournament 3 with DirectX 10 support

Beyond Unreal

Mark Rein On UT3 DX10

After Roy Taylor's NVidia blog was updated Thursday with his blurb about Unreal Tournament 3 and DirectX 10, a lot of questions began to come in regarding whether or not Taylor meant to say DX10 would be required or supported:

More good news, I just had lunch at Vesuvios here with Mark Rein and he confirmed that we can now come out and say that Unreal Tournament 3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program for launch. We have a long standing and close relationship with Mark and the team at Epic. We're delighted to be able to confirm this. The official site for UT3 can be found here. Thanks to Bill Rehbock, the father of 'The Way Its Meant To Be Played' program for lunch. There will be more news on developments with the Epic team here soon. Thanks Mark.

Because things can change from what has been stated in the past, and to ease the fears of those tinfoil hat wearing gamers out there, we wanted to get a direct quote from Epic. Mark Rein had this to say:

Supported yes but absolutely NOT required.

Doesn't get more direct than that. Rest easy, conspiracy theorists, DX10 will be an extra goody for those that have it, while those that don't will be pleased to know that Vista will not keep them from enjoying Unreal Tournament 3.
    I thought all Unreal games use OpenGL and UT3 will work natively with Linux?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 with DirectX 10 support

Quote Originally Posted by ubu-for View Post
    I thought all Unreal games use OpenGL and UT3 will work natively with Linux?!

Windows versions of Unreal use Direct X. Linux & Mac versions use OpenGL. I am pretty sure that there will be an Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux (native).

Beans

Yeah, they normally have 3 renderers. Software, OGL and D3D. Back on the UT1 days they had about 6 renderers. Software, D3D, OGL, Glide, S3, etc...
    Wine FAQ and Newbie Guide - http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    Please read This Page on how to install Wine.

RetroTracks.net - Classic Game Music Tracks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i wouldn't worry to much about it they come with multiple mode of support and epic already stated that unreal 3 will shipp with a native linux client. unreal tournament has always been developed on linux using open gl then ported over to direct x which is why unreal tournament ran faster and better under linux vs windows

Beans

There will be UT3 for Linux I see
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rain
    All this means is that UT3 will support DX10 - it does NOT mean that DX10 is required! We expect the vast majority of our users will be Windows XP / DX9 users. We will also support Mac and Linux as per usual.
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...=570096&page=3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

i just came across that post now, that just made my day

also looking at the poll on beyond unreal, 15% (at the moment) is a pretty good amount of people going to buy this for linux
    Last edited by aidanr; May 15th, 2007 at 03:40 AM.