Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lubi: Wubi for Linux: Install *ubuntu on any Linux, no partitioning needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lubi: Wubi for Linux: Install *ubuntu on any Linux, no partitioning needed

new version is out (7.04.02), updates the lupin core to the same one as used in wubi 7.04.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

can i use lubi, in ubuntu which i boot using wubi on windows?

its like (windows(ubuntu(openSuse)))

Beans
    Distro

can i use lubi, in ubuntu which i boot using wubi on windows?
    No. If you only have Windows, just use Wubi; you'll see more details at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    its like (windows(ubuntu(openSuse)))
    I don't think you quite understand the point of Lubi; it's meant to install Ubuntu and its derivatives under basically any type of Linux/*nix, not the other way around. You can install Ubuntu under openSuse using Lubi, but not the other way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

owh sory2, i misunderstand to lubi function... ok ok now i understand... thanx for the explanation sory k

Beans

My question about Lubi is "where does the Ubuntu installation go?"

I'm running Ubuntu Dapper, and its partition is nearly full... although I have another partition with some room on it...

I wanna install Ubuntu Studio, but don't want to lose everything I have or have a big ole hassel. Is there some way of stipulating where the new installation gets put? And can it be put on a Fat32 partition?

I'm assuming of course, that its installed to a virtual partition...

Can someone clarify a bit? PlzThnx

Beans
    Distro

My question about Lubi is "where does the Ubuntu installation go?"
    /wubi, on the drive you specified to the installer.

I'm assuming of course, that its installed to a virtual partition...
    you're correct, it is

And can it be put on a Fat32 partition?
    yes, only you'll have to keep the virtual disk files smaller than 4GB

Beans

Ok... so if I'm understanding this right, I only need to mount my other partition (hda2) at /wubi... right? Will the installation harm the files in there? or will it just add a new folder?

Will the new installation be able to see partitions outside of its virtual disk?

namely, can I mount hda2 in it even though its in a file inside of hda2?

Beans
    Distro

Ok... so if I'm understanding this right, I only need to mount my other partition (hda2) at /wubi... right? Will the installation harm the files in there? or will it just add a new folder?

Will the new installation be able to see partitions outside of its virtual disk?

namely, can I mount hda2 in it even though its in a file inside of hda2?
    Sounds right, but I've never tried doing that. Just wait a little, I'm building a new version that can handle different installation targets...

Beans

Awesome... That sounds like it would be much easier and less risky than trying something like I mentioned in my above post.

That would be a very useful feature...Many people splice their Ubuntu installations up into multiple partitions... so that /home and/or /boot can be kept when re-installing.
    The root directory and namely new folders in it (ie: /wubi) may only contain a small portion of a user's entire drive. On my main box, for instance, I've got 6GB dedicated to Ubuntu, 2GB as a swap, and 250+GB as storage space on hda2 still formatted in Fat32 from when I was dual booting with Win. I just installed another box today with 5 GB for Ubuntu, 5GB for an as yet undecided distro, 300MB for /boot, and 29GB for /home. (not sure how I will like this set up yet, I'm just experimenting)

I wish there was a tool that could change the format of a partition without losing its contents... but thats probably never going to happen
    the 4GB limit on Fat32 gets on my nerves, but I'd have to burn over 200GB of data just to clean it off to change its filesystem.

Any ETA on the version you're working on with that capability? No rush, mind you, just curious.
    Last edited by CyberCod; August 6th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Any ETA on the version you're working on with that capability? No rush, mind you, just curious.
    New version has been released, Lubi-7.04.04, featuring the ability to install to non-root partitions. Also added a makeself-based self-extracting installer for non-Ubuntu/Debian-based distros to use. Please see the download page at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; August 6th, 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast