Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Stacked at 33%

Beans

Re: Stacked at 33%

Quote Originally Posted by stevezygote View Post
    Wubi selected the file for me. I had no say in the matter.
    If you reinstall you cannot change the home virtual disk (to preserve data that might be in there). You have to uninstall, install again and press on settings.

It took all of 14 hours to download it! Eeeek.
    You can download the ALTERNATE ISO manually and place it in the same folder as wubi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I downloaded the vdisks.exe and tried the install as recommended. I extracted the virtual disks to the root of my c: and moved them into the proper directory.

What I think is missing is that first at 33% the formatting of ONE (1) Uno, a single one, of the virtual disks fail. When you create it at a smaller size it will format that and continue to the next virtual disk. Then the next. It seems to stop at 83% because it is attempting to format another.

When I replaced the virtual disks with the ones provided all 3 worked.

As the unattended install continued it told me it was detecting hardware. That went fine till it hit the networking components. Then it prompted me with a red screen and a message that the network portion had problems. No idea of how useful ubuntu would be without networking. Hopefully it copied necessary files anyway and configured everything with some form of defaults so that I can go back and fix the rest.

After I hit continue it continues and has been progressing through the installer error free.

I can't also imagine using only a 4 gig drive. So, I've downloaded the 10gig images. I'll go through this one more time after I see the installer complete and boot without any other serious errors.

BTW, I love ubuntu. I show it off to every customer that comes into my store. They get to see some really amazing things as my 24" wide screen HD LDC makes ubuntu and beryl look amazing. The more we all advertise this stuff to average consumers the more they'll understand they have quality alternatives to the spyware and DRM infested Vista.

Beans
    Distro

I managed to get a solid install of ubuntu w/ wubi earlier today and after doing a bit of configuring I decided that I wanted a larger virtual disk. The 4gig space was just not enough. Could never be enough for anyone unless they want to run a gimped system or they are not serious about ubuntu.

What I did was manually delete all files and folders except the .iso file. I left that in the directory it was in before. I've done this before without problems.

Then I reran the installer. I chose not to reboot. I deleted the virtual disks. I then extracted the 10gig pre-formatted virtual disks and moved them to the proper directory. Upon reboot the system began to reinstall.

During this attempt at using the 10 gig file it stopped at 33% and would not continue. I attempted to kill the formatting process to do it manually but nothing would kill the process.

I then rebooted, and reran the installer and this time I'm not erasing the pre-formatted virtual disks. I'm just changing the size and letting it go from there. During this I chose advanced and set the drive size to 10gigs. I then clicked next. At this time I got the message "Error opening file for writing: C:\wubi\license.txt...click abort to stop, etc. etc.".

I chose to ignore it. The installer continued and prompted me to reboot.

This time I did.

When it started up I continued the boot from the ubuntu option and it copied some files and then stopped at the 33%.

When I looked last time using alt+f4 it was stopped at 73/79. This time it is stopped at 65/79.

What this means is that I have to go back to the 4gig size and just not use the set up for anything real--until you guys work out the exact problem.

Also, in reading through these threads it has become abundantly clear that the issues are most likely to occur on notebooks. It doesn't seem to matter which drive manufacturer or which notebook manufacturer. Maybe the chipset for the IDE/SATA is in question so it would be nice to know the exact chipset and revision that each of these notebooks is using.

Beans
    Distro

I performed the install using the 4gig pre-formatted virtual disks to try to get back the Ubuntu install I had earlier. This time it appeared to perform all functions of the install properly but upon reboot into the final OS it locks only a fraction of the way in.

I exited the graphical progression (of the boot process) and finally got a message about stdin: error 0
    then some info about mod probe.

Then mounting messages telling me /root/dev on /dev.static/dev failed: no such file or directory.

Repeats that for /sys and /proc

busybox built in shell loads and i'm at initramfs.

Going to wipe and do it again.

Beans

Wonderful, the Potential Fix solved my problem ! Thank you !

Note that a first try failed during the installation (during the unpacking of the packages). I uninstalled wubi, reinstalled, ran vdisk, rebooted and it worked. The only difference is that at the first try, I was not connected to the network when I rebooted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo99 View Post
    During this attempt at using the 10 gig file it stopped at 33% and would not continue.
    Was that on an ntfs partition or a fat one?

When it locks can you try to kill the process either with Ctrl+c or with kill -9?

Can you then try to run the command manually?

mkfs.ext3 -v -c /dev/loop7

You may also want to use the -k flags with mkfs (slower).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    If you reinstall you cannot change the home virtual disk (to preserve data that might be in there). You have to uninstall, install again and press on settings.

You can download the ALTERNATE ISO manually and place it in the same folder as wubi.
    On this, it would be nice if the uninstaller gave an option to keep the ISO around (explaining that if it is removed it will have to be downloaded again). Just an idea.

BTW: I'm past the 33% hang and in a working Kubuntu system by using http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...nefield1.0.exe choosing a 4GB partition instead of the default 6GB. This works for me since all I'm using it for is development (can't stand developing in a Windows environment), but if I needed it for more than just that then 4GB probably wouldn't be enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin_12 View Post
    BTW: I'm past the 33% hang and in a working Kubuntu system by using http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetu...nefield1.0.exe choosing a 4GB partition instead of the default 6GB. This works for me since all I'm using it for is development (can't stand developing in a Windows environment), but if I needed it for more than just that then 4GB probably wouldn't be enough.
    Well if you are a developer you probably know your way around linux, we cannot reproduce the 33% issue on our side and need skilled users to help us pinpoint the issue. If you happen to have time to waste and manage to find out the underlying reason for the freeze, that would help us a LOT.

Beans

I will try to comment my tests..

First of all:
    1) file system of the installation
    - NTFS

2) HD type/raid/anything peculiar
    - Western Digital (40GB) IDE with more than 15GB free space.

3) How long did you wait at 33% (try to wait 10-20 minutes)
    - I waited more than 24hs, but almost every trying was waiting 10-20 minutes.
    - When it worked was waiting less than 5 minutes.

4) Virtual disk sizes (in windows AND in linux, press Alt+F2 to get a shell and browse the /host/wubi/disks folder)
    All access to the ntfs partition stays waiting, but you can stop it with ctrl+c. Only mkfs cannot be stopped.
    Some commands like "dmesg" and "cat syslog" blocked the shell and turned unable to close.
    5) Any message visible in Alt+F4
    Each trying it stops at one point. All showing a state X/Y of formatting process. I will explain better below..
    6) Is the wubi folder compressed/fragmented?
    No
    Now i am testing using the minefield0.8 version and:
    With 3GB and 4GB settings it worked fine. I have tried 2 times for each.
    Later, with 5, 6 or 10GB the formatting stays freezed.

before, I tested using a ubuntu-desktop iso cd.
    I booted and installed ntfs-3g packages.
    Mounted the /dev/sda1 (windows partition) with -t ntfs-3g
    losetup /dev/loop2 /mnt/wubi/disks/system.disk
    and mkfs.ext3 -c /dev/loop2
    Any times it worked, others It all the desktop appeared freezed..
    asap i will send more info..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    Was that on an ntfs partition or a fat one?

When it locks can you try to kill the process either with Ctrl+c or with kill -9?

Can you then try to run the command manually?

mkfs.ext3 -v -c /dev/loop7

You may also want to use the -k flags with mkfs (slower).
    It is an NTFS partition. I was able to get it to work with the 4gig pre-formatted earlier. It is the 10gig that didn't work which forced me to go back to the 4gig version.

I've tried alt+f4 and was UNABLE to kill the process. I tried repeatedly with every variation on killing the process that I know of. Killall, -9, -15, ctrl+c, ctrl+break No luck.

I could not get mkfs to work because I couldn't get the prior command to terminate.

Keep in mind my attempts at a 4gig generated from the windows installer didn't work. I downloaded and used your 4gig pre-formatted and got that to work. Then I undid everything because I was happy with the install, just not with the limited amount of space. I then downloaded and used the 10gig version of the pre-formatted files.

Also, keep in mind that you provide 3 pre-formatted virtual disks but when the installer creates them it only creates 2 for me.

Continuing on in this tale. The first pre-formatted 4 gig attempt worked. Then the 10gig pre-formatted failed. The subsequent reinstall using the pre-formatted 4 gig worked but I couldn't boot into Linux like I could the first time.

I'm going to try again but this time I'm going to delete the grldr file first. Not likely this will affect the issue, but hey, worth a try.

Your installer also creates the two virtual disk files slightly larger than the ones that you provide with your pre-formatted ones.
    Last edited by jimbo99; May 24th, 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast