Thread: Best Beginner Offline Distro - Stable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Best Beginner Offline Distro - Stable

I am looking for a distro for a friend (imagine that he is called Bob) that is a Linux novice. Bob does not have the Internet, so getting programs will be hard, unless they all come on a disc that I can download for Bob. (Ubuntu does not have a CD of packages only).

I also want a stable distro. (Ubuntu is relativity stable, but is built on unstable Debian.). I have looked on distrowatch but am unable to come to a conclusion.
    Linux User|Ubuntu User|My Website|Computer tips
    1) Core 2 Quad|Geforce 8600GT|EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Mainboard|9.10 - 64-bit |||| 2) Eeepc 900|Ubuntu 9.10 - 32-bit |||| 3) iBook 17" G4 | Ubuntu 9.10 - 32-bit
    Proudly a Christian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Best Beginner Offline Distro - Stable

it depends what applications bob wants to use - ubuntu has a wide range of apps provided. the debian stable full set of cd's provides thousands of apps, i believe.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans

Would it be possible to use the Debian package cds with a Ubuntu install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

(bump)
    1) Core 2 Quad|Geforce 8600GT|EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Mainboard|9.10 - 64-bit |||| 2) Eeepc 900|Ubuntu 9.10 - 32-bit |||| 3) iBook 17" G4 | Ubuntu 9.10 - 32-bit
    Proudly a Christian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Portable_Jim View Post
    I am looking for a distro for a friend (imagine that he is called Bob) that is a Linux novice. Bob does not have the Internet, so getting programs will be hard, unless they all come on a disc that I can download for Bob. (Ubuntu does not have a CD of packages only).

I also want a stable distro. (Ubuntu is relativity stable, but is built on unstable Debian.). I have looked on distrowatch but am unable to come to a conclusion.
    Is Amazon still selling Ubuntu DVD's?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Your friend would probably benefit from staying with Windows. Windows' prime weaknesses are only an issue when it's connected to the internet, when it comes to offline work and activity though, Windows is very nice indeed. You can go to the store and pick up the latest game or application you need, no problem. Using a linux distribution off-line just isn't practical at the moment..
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    Your friend would probably benefit from staying with Windows. Windows' prime weaknesses are only an issue when it's connected to the internet, when it comes to offline work and activity though, Windows is very nice indeed. You can go to the store and pick up the latest game or application you need, no problem. Using a linux distribution off-line just isn't practical at the moment..
    Bob does not have the money to buy Windows
    Proudly a Christian.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Bob does not have the money to buy Windows
    Oh I see, a custom built rig? Well, if that's the case you're going to want any distribution at all with very very thorough documentation and with complete repos available via DVD/CD. I would suggest Debian but it sound's like 'Bob' isn't exactly very knowledgeable and Debian isn't the most newbie friendly thing on the planet. Perhaps if you took Ubuntu and put the repos on DVD that would work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh I see, a custom built rig?
    Bob is a teenager. He got the computer after it was replaced. Since I am into linux (which is free) he thought that he would have linux on the machine.
    Well, if that's the case you're going to want any distribution at all with very very thorough documentation and with complete repos available via DVD/CD.
    True. That is what I am trying to find.
    I would suggest Debian but it sound's like 'Bob' isn't exactly very knowledgeable and Debian isn't the most newbie friendly thing on the planet. Perhaps if you took Ubuntu and put the repos on DVD that would work
    ... then be his tech support when it breaks?
    Proudly a Christian.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Bob is a teenager. He got the computer after it was replaced. Since I am into linux (which is free) he thought that he would have linux on the machine.

True. That is what I am trying to find.

... then be his tech support when it breaks?
    It looks like you're going to have to be the tech support for this. As I've said before, Windows is the stronger off line OS, you may choose to use the openSuSE DVD or even buy SLED (or get the evaluation version)