Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative X-FI Linux drivers officially cancelled (is anyone really suprised?)

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Exclamation Creative X-FI Linux drivers officially cancelled (is anyone really suprised?)

Linked from Digg

X-Fi running under linux is now officially dead - according to Creative Labs that is. Citing an unwillingness to enter the world of linux due to issues with DRM, (namely the distinct lack of them) CEO and general spoilsport Sim Wong Hoo has put the kybosh on any open source drivers ever being released from either it's Californian base of operations or it's Singapore headquarters.

In a memo originally intended for internal use only, all work on the open source drivers has ceased and the staff involved have been redeployed to other projects. All that remains of the original plans to provide Linux support is a scored out reference to their 2006 press release.
    This old thread (X-FI Driver- Delayed...) had some hope that Creative would release their "open source" (snicker, snicker) drivers, but that hope is long gone by now I guess. Too bad for those who bought Creative for Linux.

More info at the long-running Creative Labs Linux thread.
    Last edited by jiminycricket; May 12th, 2007 at 07:07 AM.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Creative X-FI Linux drivers officially cancelled (is anyone really suprised?)

Does that mean that if you have an X-Fi soundcard, you're boned?

No way to get sound at all?

There goes Linux then... a PC without sound is just a box of electronics...

Beans

Re: Creative X-FI Linux drivers officially cancelled (is anyone really suprised?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Clark View Post
    Does that mean that if you have an X-Fi soundcard, you're boned?

No way to get sound at all?

Just use onboard (most motherboards seem to have it these days) or get an Audigy 2.

And to be honest, I'm not suprised at this. I don't trust creative at all which is why them being a part of OpenAL worries me.

EDIT: Although, your post links to a Digg (no credibility) which links to some random guys Blog (no credibility) which claims it came from an internal memo... so...
    Last edited by Enverex; May 13th, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added content
    Wine FAQ and Newbie Guide - http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    Please read This Page on how to install Wine.

RetroTracks.net - Classic Game Music Tracks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This link http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

says there will be closed source drivers...which while I am not so happy about, are better than nothing at all..

Let us see some sources. A blog post isn't enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    Just use onboard (most motherboards seem to have it these days) or get an Audigy 2.
    Well I still have Windows for gaming, so I don't want to throw away a card that I paid more than £100 for and get a worse one.

I've wondered, since my X-Fi is connected to my speakers with the normal 3.5mm cables, could I plug in the on-board optical into my speakers too, then just flick between them when in Windows/Linux ?

EDIT: http://opensource.creative.com/ says that there will be. Clicking on the link that Lord Illidan did suggests that they'll be available late Q3/Early Q4.

Funny, as I read that less than half an hour ago, and missed it completely... :s
    Last edited by Mr.Clark; May 13th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Why no corrections from Creative on their _official_ message board, which I linked to?

Do you trust Creative at this point? They've delayed their drivers since 2006, IIRC.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am just sitting on the fence.. I'd like to get an X-Fi, but until it is supported in Linux, I am relying on onboard sound...which isn't so bad.

Beans

Drivers for X-Fi are available in OSS. Most distros come with kernels that support OSS, so you just need to go to
    http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi
    and download an RPM that suits you.
    I have a Creative X-Fi Extrame Gamer edition, works perfect with OSS (in the soundcard list it's stated that it's an early beta driver).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Clark View Post
    No. I don't use sound at all.

When I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and I started it up, I was shocked to hear it make noise. (Laptop has speakers)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    No. I don't use sound at all.

When I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and I started it up, I was shocked to hear it make noise. (Laptop has speakers)
    lol. I wasn't aware Xifis came in laptops. What a shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast