Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any One in New Mexico planning to post to this forum?

Beans

Any One in New Mexico planning to post to this forum?

So let's post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Any One in New Mexico planning to post to this forum?

OK. I am posting.

If anyone lives near Santa Fe and is of a mind to help, I can sure use some assistance with getting Ubuntu to recognize and load my cd-burner.

I would also be interested in meeting local Ubuntu users in-person.

Many thanks!

-merlin

Beans

Were working on having in person meetings but right now were having trouble getting people juts to commit to signing up for the New Mexico Team.

I'd be glad to help with your cd-burner problem, can I get some details like make and model?

Beans
    Distro

Hi, and thanks for your response. I posted this problem on the Ubuntu hardware forum and also at Launchpad, but no solutions so far.

I have a Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A, which is listed as being compliant with Ubuntu.

Feisty recognizes my DVD-ROM player, but not the cd burner, which is a separate drive.

The only entry in etc/fstab for this kind of device is:
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I have tried adding similar lines such as /dev/scd and dev/scd1, but get error messages that there are no such devices.

In /media there is cdrom listed, but it is only a link to folder cdrom0. /dev/cdrom properties says link to block device scd0.

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

Also, perhaps you can give me some details about what is involved in signing up for the NM team.

Many thanks!

-merlin

Beans

Well, I'm glad to try and help, after all that is what Ubuntu is all about.
    I'm currently looking into your problem and your right Ubuntu should be compatible with your burner. Have you ever updated the firm ware on this device? I'll keep looking until we get it going.

The best way to join the team is.

Next go here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam follow the link to the mailing list and add yourself to the mailing list.

The next thing to do is register at Launchpad https://launchpad.net/ once you have registered go here to join Team New Mexico https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-newmexico

Go to http://myweb.cableone.net/dthomas check out the links and contact section for other places to go.

Hope you join, and like I said if we can get the membership and interest up we will have in-person meetings.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, and thanks very, very much for your assistance. I have not upgraded any firmware for the cd-burner.

Sad to say, it works perfectly with Windows 2000, which is the only reason I have kept a dual-boot with Ubuntu.

Is there a terminal command that might give more information on whether it is a master or slave, or its own device entirely?

I have already signed up at launchpad, and am on the nm ubuntu mailing list, although I have not received anything other than the welcome message.

Anything else?

-merlin
    Last edited by merlinus; May 14th, 2007 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

Have you thought about a clean install of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

After all my customizations, etc.? No thanks!

Besides, there are a number of other forum members who are experiencing the same problem, with a variety of cd drives.

Interestingly, though, booting from the Knoppix live cd finds and mounts everything correctly, even my now never-used zipdrive. Booting from the Ubuntu live cd does not. So if that does not find and load my burner, why would a fresh install do anything different?

And the fact that the forum moderators have not responded to anyone posting about this issue makes me think it is a known bug in Feisty that will hopefully be fixed in Gutsy.

But perhaps there is some CLI command that will force Feisty to look for and mount drives?

Thanks anyway.

-merlin

Beans

Well I will not give up on your issue, I'm going to keep looking and looking. A fix is out there.

Beans

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice to see some peeps in NM using Ubuntu. i just upgraded from 6.10 to 7.04 today; kinda HAD to, as i got 6.10 out of whack while trying to update my Intel i915 video display. 7.04 doesn't do much better of a job with the graphics (trying to get 1440x900 out of it) but it's still better than using *******.

i'm gonna go post a question on Automatix on why my upgrade won't work (www.getautomatix.com), just wanted to say hello all since the subject line asked for it!

*YAY* Linux!!! i look forward to a Santa Fe Users Group sometime in the near future!!!

c-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast