Thread: Video streams in SecondLife

Beans

Video streams in SecondLife

I'm glad to be able to run SecondLife in Ubuntu Feisty, but I'd like to be able to view some of the streaming videos in game. Of course SL uses QuickTime, and Apple has chosen not to support Linux at all (yet). Has anyone come up with a workaround for this?
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans

Re: Video streams in SecondLife

I also use Ubuntu Linux and Secondlife, but I don't have streaming video enabled so thats my work around

However, I'm not sure exactly what would be an option here. The only thing I can think of is to maybe install Wine or Cedega and use the Windows version with Quicktime installed on Wine. Could be an option, but I don't know if it would work. Just a stab.

I have found SL to run fine on Ubuntu Linux... apart from the contents of some windows become totally black when minimized whilst SL is running. Very strange. Apart from that, fine!

Beans

Thats' one workaround. I'm not sure that using QT likethat would work, because SL/Linux may not see that I have QT/Win. I"m not sure I'd want to do that anyway because I only have 749 MB of RAM and SL can suck it up pretty quickly.

And before anyone says it, yes, RAM is on my shopping list, but I have other things that need to be gotten first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Run secondlife from a terminal and you can see the link to the videostreams when you click on them.

Fire up VLC and copy-paste the stream in there. Works like a charm.

Beans

Hmmm. I may try that. But I usually run SL in full-screen mode to asiste these old peepers and switching from full-screen to window (and vice versa) has been known to be the last thing I do bfore a crash.

Thanks for the tip.

Beans

I finally tried that trick with a FreeView stream and got nada, but there is a possibility that someone may resurrect the OS code for getting QT to work for Linux. Someone's looking at the possibility of a bounty for the job (a user, not the possible coder).