Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Studio is out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu Studio is out.

I love the web page design! Good Job. I really hope people find UStudio to be a valuable asset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No Desktop Effects in Ubuntu Studio?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I haven't gotten the desktop effects option on the menu either, but I assumed it was because it seems like my ati card doesn't support aiglx and I need to get XGL running and just haven't gotten xgl running with the fglrx drivers yet. Is desktop effects missing in studio? (I don't know why it would be)

Beans

Desktop effects are a dependency of the ubuntu-desktop metapackage which is not installed by default in Ubuntu Studio (unlike 'vanilla' Ubuntu). If you want the desktop effects in Ubuntu Studio, just install the desktop-effects package. It's working fine with my old Radeon card and open source drivers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkBuntu View Post
    Could it have anything to do with the "low latency" kernel? For that matter, out of curiosity, what does a low latency kernel do? I'm thinking maybe I'd get better performance using the module built for the vanilla kernel.
    I wouldnt think so since I run the kernel on my laptop (dont do this unless you plug it in all the time) but it could also be a HW issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkBuntu View Post
    One other quick question. Is there anything in particular that I'd be missing out on if I just installed the packages off the CD and enabled the Studio repos on a plain Ubuntu install? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this Ubuntu version, just curious.
    You shouldnt miss anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjitkop View Post
    No Desktop Effects in Ubuntu Studio?
    Nope. Its not what this project is aiming for. If a user does want them its easy enough to install themselves.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict View Post
    I wouldnt think so since I run the kernel on my laptop (dont do this unless you plug it in all the time) but it could also be a HW issue.
    Well, I added all the software from the Wiki onto a plain 7.04 install. I'll be at my local coffee shop tonight, so I'll let you know if I notice a difference. Probably just silliness on my part though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict View Post
    not what this project is aiming for. If a user does want them its easy enough to install themselves.
    Not to sound smart, because I really appreciate all the work on Studio, but why not just include this package in the install since the same people that are interested in graphics and video on Linux would be the same crowd that wants the option to enable some eye candy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i think i won't install any 3d desktop effects for ubuntustudio. because it's aimed on video- sound & graphic processing. i think it would be faster without without glx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

thought i'd mention here that i've created a theme for fluxbox heavily based on the ubuntu studio theme for gnome. i prefer fluxbox over gnome, but i really like the ubuntu studio theme, so i run gnome-settings-daemon to utilize the innards of the gnome ubustu theme and use my fluxbox theme for the window manager. i think it looks pretty good so far. link

i could make it available to all if anyone actually wants it, and if the ubuntu studio guys don't mind.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sk8dork View Post
    I could make it available to all if anyone actually wants it, and if the ubuntu studio guys don't mind.
    Sure. Could you PM me about this?

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast