Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista support, testers wanted

Beans

Re: Vista support, testers wanted

Quote Originally Posted by leibowitz View Post
    It works.

I just put grldr.mbr in the partition 1) (Windows Xp)
    Can you try to use only Vista partition? Our target are users with only Vista installed on a single partition

Beans

Can't.

As I said earlier, Windows use the first partition of the primary disk of the system for it's boot files. Whatever it is.

So if you have Vista only, you just have to put every files on the c:\

But as for me, I need to put them on the Xp partition (that's the first partition of the disk).

PS: if your first partition is a linux and you put them there, I think grub will not find them. At least AFAIK
    Last edited by leibowitz; May 11th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.

Beans

Thanks, that will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, i finally dug up my Vista DVD and painstakingly restored Vista bootmanager. Once Vista booted, edited bcd as instructed and copied grldr files to WindowsXP partition, as it is the active partition and Vista bcd is installed to it.

Rebooted and chose Ubuntu. Ubuntu menu was displayed and i chose the kernel i usually use. Some stuff about sector mismatches was displayed, but it booted and seemed to work fine in Ubuntu. I'll try to get the error messages written down when i have time to fool around with it.

Beans

Since none of us has vista I'll assign this bug to you https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/113297
    Relevant files are in wubi/src/installer. I am sure Ecology2007 will also be able to help out on that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed Wubi 7.04-test2 in Windows Vista as usual, but followed the instructions in the first post to get it to boot. After installation, I got a full-working desktop.
    Last edited by MethodOne; May 12th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

Just wanted to let you guys know, the technique in the first post worked perfectly. I have vista installed on one drive, no XP or anything else. The initial install gave the "cannot find file" when Ubuntu was selected in the boot screen, but after following the steps and rebooting, it booted right up.The only issue I can see is that I after following the step i had two entries for Ubuntu in the startup manager, one working and one not. I had to remove the first one manually. I see no reason you guys couldn't write a batch file to perform these steps in vista installations, and include the files needed to make it work.

Beans

Hi, I put in the settings, and yes I was able to go into the installer. However when it was formatting it appeared as if it froze and I am assuming it wasn't doing something right. so I came back and here is how I set it up:

-I had used the test2 wanting to install wubi onto my C:\ although I put those extra two files into a logical drive (should I have done that?) when it said "
    Then copy grldr.mbr to C:\, grldr and menu.lst to the root directory of any FAT16/FAT32/NTFS/EXT2 partition" and, I did. But all I know is it worked and I think I need to get those drives reformatted.

Edit: I must have done something wrong, because after deleting those two partitions that were created, I rebooted to go into it again and it said it couldn't read the alternative iso, and it went into a kernel panic. What should I do? Well I'm going to reinstall wubi to see what happens.

Edit2: Apparently it isn't what I did that messed it up, cause it happens again. When its formatting the home partition, it freezes at 83% and no HDD I/O happens. Is this a bug, and if it is, it it a known one? I'll look around.

Edit3: possibly final edit: I see that there is in fact something known about this, so besides the fact that that is occurring, it at least boots into it.
    Last edited by Jerick; May 13th, 2007 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    hmm nobody with vista? Is it that bad?
    it only had a life span of 3.5 days on my computer,i reinstalled xp now i have to ring them again and validate it again
    It's hard to get the big picture when you have such a small screen
    registered linux user 436419.,,,ubuntu user 9885
    www.cafelinux.org/forum/,,,http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/

Beans

...SUCCESS! After redownloading the iso file, I managed to install Kubuntu through Wubi via Vista using the instructions (: it works pretty well.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast