View Poll Results: Does Joost run?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everything works (even if it's slow).

49 30.25%
  • No, video doesn't work.

16 9.88%
  • No, sound doesn't work.

14 8.64%
  • No, fonts don't work.

3 1.85%
  • No, Something else doesn't work (pleas post)

18 11.11%
  • No, nothing works.

69 42.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Joost (with sound)

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: HOWTO: Joost (with sound)

btw i have recompiled remade deps and remade to no avail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Funny, because I have wined3d over here. I can see it compile as make runs.

If you are _sure_ you are compiling the right thing, do you want me to send you the DLL?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mikewitt View Post
    ZeroXR:
    I know that Joost used to not work with the 915 chipset; that might be causing it, but I thought they fixed it. I can't seem to find the discussion of that, but the problem is that Joost wants to see a minimum of 512mb of ram, and another 32mb of video memory; the intel chipset uses regular ram as video memory, it just reserves some of it. Usually joost just ends in an error if this is the case, but I think the problem was that it didn't do this all the time; unfortunately I think they fixed it using driver access through a DLL, but wine doesn't use windows drivers, it uses the drivers of the host system.

Basically, I'm trying to say that I think it's your graphics card, and I don't know how to fix it.
    OK, I have this same graphics card as well. On a Dell computer. I've got 768 MB of memory.

This fixed DLL... can't we get it and paste it into wine? I've got an installation of Windows if that is what is needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Bullio View Post
    I do get picture, but the sound and video stutter. I noticed this in the terminal while running Joost. I don't know if it means anything (still a little new to the more advanced, technical aspects), but it didn't really look good.
    Code:
    fixme:font:GetCharacterPlacementW flags 0x00000132 ignored
    fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=3230 < primary_done=3232)
    fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=3230 < primary_done=3232)
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x1003e, 0x1631a8): stub
    And so on. Any thoughts? I hope this is of some help to someone.
    The same problem here. I also had to change that thing about drive_c. I tried changing the wine config, but nothing changes... Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mikewitt View Post
    ZeroXR:
    I know that Joost used to not work with the 915 chipset; that might be causing it, but I thought they fixed it. I can't seem to find the discussion of that, but the problem is that Joost wants to see a minimum of 512mb of ram, and another 32mb of video memory; the intel chipset uses regular ram as video memory, it just reserves some of it. Usually joost just ends in an error if this is the case, but I think the problem was that it didn't do this all the time; unfortunately I think they fixed it using driver access through a DLL, but wine doesn't use windows drivers, it uses the drivers of the host system.

Basically, I'm trying to say that I think it's your graphics card, and I don't know how to fix it.
    OK, figured out what the problem is exactly, but they have only got bad hacks that solve it right now.

<killertux> javaJake: problems is basicly that game takes all CPU away from the sounds... so it's priority problem.
    This explains why tvprunner.exe and wineserver use up my CPU. I've tried various audio settings, but none seem to work. If anyone gets stuck with Joost running with this bug, especially after installation, run "killall -KILL tvprunner.exe" - it's the only way you'll get it to close.

For more information, visit these links:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7821
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1631

So, to sum up, this bug is known about already, but cannot be fixed without dramatic patches.

I recommend that mikewitt post this, or a link to the information, on the HOWTO's Troubleshooting section so that we don't get more posts about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Agreed there... More insight would very much be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

OK, those who are dying to know what's being done to figure this out, I'm having a semi-active conversation with pijalu on the Gentoo forums who hosts another HOWTO on this same subject. His latest idea was here:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...0.html#4064456

I'm trying this out now, will let you guys know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by javaJake View Post
    do you want me to send you the DLL?
    I went and extracted it from the deb package a few pages back. Possibly should be different but I got joost to load with it none the less. Far to slow on this putter tho so il be awaiting the linux client currently in development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by javaJake View Post
    OK, those who are dying to know what's being done to figure this out, I'm having a semi-active conversation with pijalu on the Gentoo forums who hosts another HOWTO on this same subject. His latest idea was here:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...0.html#4064456

I'm trying this out now, will let you guys know how it goes.
    No, this didn't work on my system. I get the same wierd screeching noises for a half of a second, and the same errors, etc., and it still won't run.

I'm personally going to wait at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

After a bit of tweaking, I got Joost running somewhat acceptably.

First I was getting the black screen after you login. This was caused by my NVidia driver, and was fixed by downloading NVidia's beta driver, then switching over to a new terminal window via Ctrl+Alt+F6, killing gdm, and then installing the driver as root.

Then I was getting the stuttering sound/video problem. I ran winecfg and went to the Audio tab, then I set the Default Sample Rate to 48000 and the Default Bits Per Sample to 16. While this isn't really a great fix, it plays smoothly about 95% of the time now. There may be a better way, but it's pretty much working now, and I really need some sleep.

Hope this helps anyone else that's frustrated with the sound problem.

Edit: I just wrote a small launcher script so I don't have to launch it from a terminal anymore. (attached)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GoatTuber; May 22nd, 2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added launcher script

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast