Page 270 of 289 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by fredglinux View Post
    Ubuntu does not recognize my Passport External Disk, i.e., without some tweaking from an expert in Linux software.
    :) Running a mount command or editing /etc/fstab doesn't require an expert in anything. There are literally dozens of step-by-step howtos on that.

If Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (forget 12.04) could recognize 'automatically' the USB drives
    It can - just so you know. If you need help with auto-mounting USB, you can ask in General Help or Absolute Beginner section.

Microsoft Word. Word has its problems, but it is still better, in most instances, than Open Office Writer.
    I can't imagine anything that MS Word would be better at, except - sometimes - opening documents authored in MS Word.

Beans

Engineering programs are the biggest problems for me. CAD programs and simulation programs are expensive. Considering, I already bought one; and it was based on windows, I can not run those programs in Linux. I need to buy the Linux versions of those programs and either they are not exist in Linux, or I have to buy and I don't want to spend money for the same program once more.

Beans

Ubuntu does not recognize my Passport External Disk, i.e., without some tweaking from an expert in Linux software. If Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (forget 12.04) could recognize 'automatically' the USB drives, I would have switched long ago to UBuntu 10.04 LTS. Also, although Open Office is nice, because it is free, it is not Microsoft Word. Word has its problems, but it is still better, in most instances, than Open Office Writer. ( I just cannot get used to Ubuntu 12.04. I tried Mint Mate and Mint Cinnamon, also Fedora 15, but Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has my vote!) I just wish that Canoni...... would maintain and upgrade Ubuntu 10.04 LTS like Mint has the Mate version and the Cinnamon version.
    A) Passports have some special software on them correct? Format it and delete everything then it should work just like any other external drive. B) Use mint then it's Ubuntu with cinnamon.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    I can't imagine anything that MS Word would be better at, except - sometimes - opening documents authored in MS Word.
    In word I click on one button, move the cursor over whatever it is I want to capture and the image clip is placed in the Word document. From there I can crop and apply additional borders and effects. This is available for all of the Office documents (2010 at least), so it is just as easy to include in email, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I especially like being able to show in an email step-by-step instructions with images of what I am talking about.

As far as I know, LibreOffice and OpenOffice cannot crop the image in the document, nor capture a full or partial screenshot (well, maybe full if you use the "Print Screen" button) so you have to use some other program to do it. It may not be difficult, but I find MS Office's version suits me well, is quick and easy, and done.

Actually with a lot of Microsoft software, things are pretty simple, easy and done. Using Windows Photo Manager and Movie Maker I was able to easily create a 10 and a 20 minute slideshow including music. The longest process was going through 2,000 pictures and determining which to use and to crop them to the focus of the picture.

Yes it worked, for the most part, with some hitches. I am trying to recreate it, for the most part, using KDEnlive to see whether it is a viable alternative.

Except for the initial start-up time (which is probably the .NET framework), Paint.NET has a simpler interface and still includes most of the tools I ever use than Gimp or Photoshop.

Are they perfect? No. Do I wish I could take parts and run them in Linux (merge the best of both worlds)? Heck, yeah!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

i cant not answer, but i will lovely with ubuntu, i want to learn, learn, & learn about open sources and ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    In word I click on one button, move the cursor over whatever it is I want to capture and the image clip is placed in the Word document. From there I can crop and apply additional borders and effects. This is available for all of the Office documents (2010 at least), so it is just as easy to include in email, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I especially like being able to show in an email step-by-step instructions with images of what I am talking about.

As far as I know, LibreOffice and OpenOffice cannot crop the image in the document, nor capture a full or partial screenshot (well, maybe full if you use the "Print Screen" button) so you have to use some other program to do it. It may not be difficult, but I find MS Office's version suits me well, is quick and easy, and done.

Actually with a lot of Microsoft software, things are pretty simple, easy and done. Using Windows Photo Manager and Movie Maker I was able to easily create a 10 and a 20 minute slideshow including music. The longest process was going through 2,000 pictures and determining which to use and to crop them to the focus of the picture.

Yes it worked, for the most part, with some hitches. I am trying to recreate it, for the most part, using KDEnlive to see whether it is a viable alternative.

Except for the initial start-up time (which is probably the .NET framework), Paint.NET has a simpler interface and still includes most of the tools I ever use than Gimp or Photoshop.

Are they perfect? No. Do I wish I could take parts and run them in Linux (merge the best of both worlds)? Heck, yeah!

SoftMaker does all that just 10 times faster and runs perfectly because it has a Linux version.

Beans

Call itself Windows
    Last edited by MaxLinuxLover; March 31st, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLinuxLover View Post
    Call itself Windows
    Sure, might take a while but you could make Linux call itself windows, the qestion is why would you? LOL!

Beans

The powerPoint replacement for SoftMaker Office , Presentations , is 100% compatible w/ PP way faster. , SM Presentations was using animation while PP users could only dream of them. Try it. If you keep it it is much less than MS Office and unless you are one of those people who actually use MS Publisher you loose nothing , gain speed and they take your word that you are only using 3 licenses per purchase.

Beans

Well said!
    Last edited by Bo Rogers; April 1st, 2013 at 02:36 AM.

Page 270 of 289 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280 ... LastLast