Page 257 of 289 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    That is fair enough. I'm just saying when comparing you have to compare apples to apples no pun intended.
    I can do anything I need to on a p3 I found in the trash running puppylinux or lubuntu . A p-4 with a gig of ram will run Ubuntu fine. I keep multiple Ubuntu os's on my desktop that share the same data and several pupsave files on the drive and my backup drive so I can recover from any disaster within 5 minutes , even a totally fried system as I keep spare machines on hand. People give me machines that no longer run windows all the time.

Windows takes a long time to recover from and fails for so many more reasons in the first place. I would never return to windows, considering they are trying to block even their own older os's I would consider that self imposed slavery.

Beans

Chrome works better in Windows. It has a lot of bugs and also gets stuck a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Chrome is derived from Chromium and is an open source project, it works the best here in Ubuntu with no bugs, slowdowns etc. Opera in recent times has gone bad for Linux but works fine under Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by satishskamath View Post
    I disagree on it not working under Linux but even so which browser you prefer is a ridiculous reason to to spend tons of money for an unstable system that is slow as Christmas and in constant danger of a fatal attack from spyware and viruses and strives to be a Standard Oil type monopoly. . Personally I don't care for chromium but I have no problem with it in Linux. Opera work greats , FF works fine if if you set it up right but it is a little slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by satishskamath View Post
    One thing I can do in Ubuntu that Windows can't do is boot into Chrome OS or I can run it in a window on my Unity desktop. At this very moment I am typing this from Chrome OS that I booted from my Ubuntu login screen. I can choose between Ubuntu or Chrome.
    My wife has a Chromebook, and I can make my laptop run exactly the same. Windows could never do this.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of ChromeOS running as a windows in Ubuntu.
    ChromeOS.jpg

SECOND EDIT: Here is the How To website: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/h...meos-in-ubuntu
    Last edited by irv; November 12th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    One thing I can do in Ubuntu that Windows can't do is boot into Chrome OS or I can run it in a window on my Unity desktop. At this very moment I am typing this from Chrome OS that I booted from my Ubuntu login screen. I can choose between Ubuntu or Chrome.
    My wife has a Chromebook, and I can make my laptop run exactly the same. Windows could never do this.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of ChromeOS running as a windows in Ubuntu.
    ChromeOS.jpg

SECOND EDIT: Here is the How To website: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/h...meos-in-ubuntu
    That would be something interesting to fiddle around with
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    That would be something interesting to fiddle around with
    It works great, but you still can view Netflix.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Was that supposed to be "can't" I believe ChromeOS relies on hardware to handle Microsoft's drm in Netflix and so shouldn't work without the hardware to make it possible.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

After facing lot of hardware issues in Ubuntu. I'm back to Windows 8 with office 2013..beautiful product from Microsoft

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even though it isn't a real chomebook, can we get away with signing up for the 100GB google drive?

That is to say i get an error, but perhaps there is a workaround?
    Last edited by Jakin; November 13th, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Page 257 of 289 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267 ... LastLast