Page 258 of 289 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    Even though it isn't a real chomebook, can we get away with signing up for the 100GB google drive?

That is to say i get an error, but perhaps there is a workaround?
    I am not sure about a workaround, but I have two accounts setup on my wife's real chromebook, so I already have it. I don't know if you saw this, but you can get a chromebook now for $199 in the USA.

EDIT: I read about it here: http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...-199/240115354
    Last edited by irv; November 13th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I am not sure about a workaround, but I have two accounts setup on my wife's real chromebook, so I already have it. I don't know if you saw this, but you can get a chromebook now for $199 in the USA.
    Ah well, I didn't pay for a real Chromebook- so... BOX has 25GB, thats enough.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    After facing lot of hardware issues in Ubuntu. I'm back to Windows 8 with office 2013..beautiful product from Microsoft
    Hardware issues need to be addresses ahead of time and in every case I have seen the problems with hardware drivers were due to MS's monopoly practices discouraging hardware manufacturers from releasing the source code to Linux hackers who will create Linux drivers for free. By giving in you are enslaving yourself.

The first time you get a virus or have to spend half a day rebuilding the Billy Box as part of normal MS maintenance remember, Linux servers are rebooted once a year whether they need it or not.

Beans

After facing lot of hardware issues in Ubuntu. I'm back to Windows 8 with office 2013..beautiful product from Microsoft
    krishna.988,

I know you've already switched back, but what were the problems with your hardware? If there are some things that don't run in Linux, you can partition your drive so that you can dual-boot Windows and Linux on the same computer. That's how I used Ubuntu on and off for years (installed it on a second hard drive) until I finally decided to switch for good after running into issues with Windows 7 after I restored my cloned backup.

Also, I believe there are threads where you can report hardware that doesn't work right in Ubuntu. I'm not sure if you've done this already so I won't put the links in this post but if you search you should find them.
    Last edited by Dural; November 15th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Dural View Post
    krishna.988,

I know you've already switched back, but what were the problems with your hardware? If there are some things that don't run in Linux, you can partition your drive so that you can dual-boot Windows and Linux on the same computer. That's how I used Ubuntu on and off for years (installed it on a second hard drive) until I finally decided to switch for good after running into issues with Windows 7 after I restored my cloned backup.

Also, I believe there are threads where you can report hardware that doesn't work right in Ubuntu. I'm not sure if you've done this already so I won't put the links in this post but if you search you should find them.
    Why should I ever bother switching back to Ubuntu or think of Dual booting with it..
    My system and hardware works beautifully and flawlessly with Windows 8.. So my job is done for the day..Why should I waste time figuring for work arounds...
    Remember LIFE IS SHORT..

If you have time go through this Link.. I'll never comeback to ubuntu again..and also Ubuntu forums..GOODBYE>>
    http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...p.current.html
    Last edited by krishna.988; November 16th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why should I ever bother switching back to Ubuntu or think of Dual booting with it..
    My system and hardware works beautifully and flawlessly with Windows 8.. So my job is done for the day..Why should I waste time figuring for work arounds...
    Remember LIFE IS SHORT..

If you have time go through this Link.. I'll never comeback to ubuntu again..and also Ubuntu forums..GOODBYE>>
    Yes krishna.988, there are Windows users and Linux users in the world. The difference is most Linux users are not only looking for a good OS, but they are lover of open source and are willing to spend the time testing and developing and fixing things to make it better for all in the long run. Yes there is nothing wrong with closed source and if you are willing to pay someone to do all the work for you no one will condemn you for wanting this but to be a true Linux user you need to be willing to do your part to make the whole community better. So if you are not willing to Dual boot or switch back, you are just telling us you are not a true Linux user. But like I said no one is condemning you for it.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

oh boo hoo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Remember LIFE IS SHORT..

Wow... so what I read is that the issues people have complained about for the past, oh, few years (if not since I started with Linux) is still an issue. That's about all I get out of your list.

Yes, it is frustrating when things are not compatible. That was one of the first things I liked when I set up a hard drive with Windows 7 (because Windows XP was a pain to get all of the drivers... first I had to get the NIC so I could go and download the drivers for all of the other components!).

Heck, I had one laptop with a video chip that regressed in the kernel and took about a year before some distro managed to make it usable again (openSUSE mind you), and I have my current laptop that cannot handle PAE kernels and Ubuntu is not supplying non-PAE kernels or alternatives anymore (so I may have to try openSUSE again).

It's hit-or-miss with hardware. That's just the way it is. Linux is back where Apple was in the late 90s; people complaining there are no games, less software titles, less hardware compatibility and because they had such a small percentage of the market vendors were not going to port their software to that platform. Only a "niche" player with artist and creative people.

So Linux is 20 years behind. Games are coming, software is going web-based and more Windows users are using open source applications available on Linux for some time, hardware compatibility is getting better (with a few notable setbacks), the market is still small (around here, it sounds like Ubuntu is doing a better job in Asia) and is growing from the "niche" of back-office and hobbyists.

So it sounds like Linux is moving in a good direction, it's just going to take a long time to get there.

Then again, without the original iPod and iTunes I don't think Apple would have gotten to where they are now.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; November 16th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I think i only miss printing with cannon LBP6000 if im in Ubuntu. Everything is fine except that. But im also in search for an alternative to Connectify.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I haven't yet found anything Windows can do that Linux can't, at least anything that matters. From video editing to office work Linux has it all. But the absolute most IMPORTANT thing? It can do it ALL for free. OK, play a blu-ray, or author a blu-ray? Maybe there's something. But this happens because of MS collusion with manufacturers and government to get a virtual monopoly. How desirable is that? They make laws to FORCE me to buy THEIR software? They can shove it. I'll play my source files on any Linux machine thru HDMI out to my TV. I am willig to put in a little extra effort to NOT be enslaved, whuile at the same time paying a really good price: NOTHING.

One thing: a lot of free software written for Linux is actually being ported to Windows as free software. This is going to shake the world just like MP3s did. See how MS tries to foil it with lobbying congress. Soon there will be laws making it illegal to write software and distribute it fir free.

Page 258 of 289 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268 ... LastLast