Page 271 of 289 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

What can Windows do that Ubuntu can't.

Ubuntu has come a long way in the last few years, and since I am of the opinion that Microsoft is a spawn of the devil, only just pipped in rank evil by Apple, I would love to answer "nothing" to this question. Unfortunately my real answer is "Practically everything". In word processing, for instance, I can't set Open Office to use microsoft formats as standard, so when I want to communicate to the outside world, which is practically always, I have to convert everything, and I have to do it on a one off basis. Spreadsheets are even worse, because If I set them to Microsoft formats they take forever to save, and if I convert them as I go then every so often the formulas get replaced by the actual values.

Banking is a big issue, because however secure Ubuntu is in essence, it is still possible to get viruses, and if it isn't yet then it will be as soon as some crook thinks the user base is rich enough to make it worth his while. And last time I looked there was no equivalent to Norton, McCaffe, etc. which works with Ubuntu - so no banking for me.

Emails should be easy, but if you keep your documents on the network then unless you're a tekky you wont be able to put attachments on emails unless you import them onto your local disc first. This is not just for emails, actually, because if you want to see the network from pretty much any application you have to mount it into a share first. I am currently trying to get over this one, but so far no luck. What is involved is to grovel around in a terminal. I'm trying to follow instructions but most of the terminology is not obvious to anyone who l.ives in the real world.

And that brings me to the real answer to the question. Ubuntu has a support network that Windows would give it's eye teeth for, way better than anything else anywhere, but whenever I try to use it someone wants me to open a terminal. Usually I can manage it eventually, but why. Terminals are 1990's stuff. I wouldn't want to try to take the terminal away from the Tekky, but can the rest of us please be allowed to move on. Fine for really deep technical issues, but everything in day-to-day use should be possible without it. Whenever a support agent is tempted to type the line "sudo apt get" in an answer to the beginners forum they should slap themselves on the wrist and think of another answer. If there isn't one then it's an indication that Ubuntu doesn't work properly yet and they should send off a development request. That is, if Ubuntu ever wants to actually compete in the real world, rather than just talk about it.

So a big "please" to all Ubuntu developers. Can we once and for all commit to GUI and make things work properly.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Binner View Post
    I can't set Open Office to use microsoft formats as standard
    I smell April Fools' here...

(OK, just in case you're serious: Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Always save as... > scroll the list up.)
    Last edited by prodigy_; April 1st, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Let me start out by saying I live in a small town, but it is a lot of Binners living here. Just happen to see your name is Phil Binner.
    Someone already answered you question about saving in MS Office format. Now about online banking. Been doing this for a long time now using Ubuntu Linux and have never had a problem. I feel more secure using Linux then I ever did using Windows.
    Next as far as networks go, again never had any problems, and that goes for attaching file to emails. I even use a Pogoplug with external hard drives and cloud storage without problems.
    Last comment on the terminal. I like using the terminal, but just about anything you want to do you should be able to fine a GUI program to do the same. If you don't want to use the terminal just askubuntu how to do it using a GUI program and someone will point you in the right direction.
    By the way I am totally Windows free for over a year now and I don't miss it one bit.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sincerely, I cannot get the quality that I want with libreoffice or openoffice as I get with MSoffice. I switched fully to Ubuntu only because I have access in my university or via remote desktop to a windows system where I can use MSoffice when I need it. Else, I would have both installed.

Also some software do not exist for linux. Sure, there are always alternatives but when you work in an environment where most of the language is in windows software and you communicate on it I cannot spend time learning other languages because that would complicate my life and work even more.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There isn't much more, I think, which can be added to what has already been said. Most of it is little annoyances based on dependence on proprietary Windows specific software. Yeah, there are some games I enjoy that don't work under Ubuntu either with WINE or Virtualbox. Is that enough to make me want to switch back to Windows 7? Nope. Yes, Libreoffice.org doesn't always have all the bells and whistles that MS Office has, but I don't have to rent a copy from MS, now do I? Yes, there's occasional hiccups with driver support, but it's worlds and away better than when I started using Linux in 2004 (Lindows and Progeny Debian, remember them?), and Windows still can't hold a candle to running a Linux OS straight from the Optical Drive without touching the hard drive. This is probably the most useful thing as a Computer Tech that I have ever run across. So, yes, when it comes to particular applications that run only on Windows, then yes, there are things that Windows can do better than Linux simply because those apps were written for Windows. When it comes to the Operating System itself, Ubuntu or any flavor of Linux, there really isn't any comparison. It's the best kept secret in the computer industry.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raspatan View Post
    I cannot get the quality
    "Quality" is a meaningless word here. Exactly which features do you need and can't get in LO? Have you tried to make a feature request via Ask LibreOffice site?

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I like using the terminal, but just about anything you want to do you should be able to fine a GUI program to do the same.
    To be honest, I don't understand why people still hate command line at all. CLI is merely a simple tool like a screwdriver or a hammer or a pencil. Ever wrote something with a pencil? Using CLI is the same thing (unless you dive into actual programming).

I guess people just think that changing settings via GUI magically leads to expected results while doing the same via CLI is bound to fail. Nothing could be further from truth. Especially since they blindly follow howtos anyway. And when you blindly follow a howto, what's the difference? You don't even need to type those commands, you can copypaste them.
    Last edited by prodigy_; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Beans

SOLVED! Found a way to do it, much like in windows. In Windows you can change the behavior of the double click to a single click by going to control panel, folder options and checking the single click. I wish we could do that on Ubuntu.

But, a doubleclick is a small price to pay NOT to have use windows.

Mary
    Last edited by zippytex; April 2nd, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zippytex View Post
    I wish we could do that on Ubuntu.
    Guess what? You can: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/...to-open-items/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    KDE has this option as well.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Funny but the F.B.I. and the Australian Secret Police use a Puppy Linux disk for their banking and absolutely warn against ever using windows, but I guess their idiots?
    Open Office is not the only alternative, Softmaker office is totally compatible and way faster.

It would be nice if everyone could be appeased with free software but if you don't know how to use the terminal you don't really know windows either. Worrying about viruses on Linux is like worrying about a 747 landing on you, it;s possible but why worry , the odds are millions to one.

Page 271 of 289 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281 ... LastLast