Page 259 of 289 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Charge money just for a licence to 'use' it (nobody but Microsoft 'owns' Windows).

^^^ prolly already beeh said a gazillion times already ^^^

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Why should I ever bother switching back to Ubuntu or think of Dual booting with it..
    My system and hardware works beautifully and flawlessly with Windows 8.. So my job is done for the day..Why should I waste time figuring for work arounds...
    Remember LIFE IS SHORT..

If you have time go through this Link.. I'll never comeback to ubuntu again..and also Ubuntu forums..GOODBYE>>
    http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...p.current.html
    I'm not judging you for going back to Windows 8. To me, machines exist to do what you want them to do. To champion any of them seems silly. The reason I asked is because I've had hardware problems with Ubuntu to but I was able to figure them out by looking around. I just wanted to see if I could have helped you out but ultimately it's your computer and you get to have the final say as to what you want to do with it. Linux isn't for everyone and it's ultimately just 0s and 1s so I don't think anyone should have any fealty to it (same with Windows, Mac OSX, or any other OS out there). Good luck and I hope your time with Windows 8 works out for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Yes krishna.988, there are Windows users and Linux users in the world. The difference is most Linux users are not only looking for a good OS, but they are lover of open source and are willing to spend the time testing and developing and fixing things to make it better for all in the long run. Yes there is nothing wrong with closed source and if you are willing to pay someone to do all the work for you no one will condemn you for wanting this but to be a true Linux user you need to be willing to do your part to make the whole community better. So if you are not willing to Dual boot or switch back, you are just telling us you are not a true Linux user. But like I said no one is condemning you for it.

Life is short, viruses make it shorter. Linux is not for everyone , it does require more user involvement. On the other hand the difference shrinks when a person actually uses windows as it should be but less than 10% ever bother to even read the manual.
    As far as I am concerned MS is the modern day equivalent of Standard Oil , a monopoly that needs to be broken! Life is short and money is finite. To switch back to windows would require a lot of money that took a lot of time to produce.

The most expensive machine I have cost me 240.00 to pay off the pawn charges for the people I got it from. My other 3 machines I gor for free , to build a similar network with Windows would cost me close to 2 grand in equipment and close to a grand in software plus the ongoing expense of virus protection . Having windows would not save me any time and increase my stress worrying about virus attacks like the one that cost me 2 solid weeks to fix and untold thousands in lost revenue.

To each his own said the farmer as he kissed his cow. If someone offered to pay all those expenses I would still boot Linux!

Beans

[QUOTE=DoctorMO;2608993]those videos you should copy the addresses for them and use mplayer at the command prompt, it's more likely to tell you what the problem is, more than not a missing dll or problematic codec.

With Ubuntu you must add Ubuntu-restricted-extras and to play commercial dvd's you need libdvdcss2 .

Both of these are available in the software-center or from the terminal.

# sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

# sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

Then add the most versital player on the planet ! VLC is also available from the software-center, synaptic or the terminal .

# sudo apt-get install vlc

If you want to copy dual sided disk to single get the software from the center , DVDshrink is one way

Beans
    Hidden!

Use Adobe After Effects, the only truly easy-to-use Post-Process video editor.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Use Adobe After Effects, the only truly easy-to-use Post-Process video editor.
    When you try and compare apples and apples you need to mention the incredible expense using windows and Adobe After Effects and show some evidence as why the same thing can't be done with Linux. Some may feel the thousands of dollars sucked up by virus infected Billy Boxes would be better spent on computer lessons than idiot proof software that has to have the latest and greatest hardware to run and a bottomless pit of a bank account to keep up to date?
    BTW the 2008 version works well under Wine , silver rating . The 2004 works perfectly , it has a platinum rating. If more users donated money to the wine project these ratings would improve.
    Last edited by frank cox; November 19th, 2012 at 03:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    virus infected Billy Boxes
    lolwut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by two4two View Post
    play a blu-ray, or author a blu-ray
    Can be done in linux. Far from straightforward, but quite possible. Take a look at the ArchLinux wiki and scour the doom9 forums for advice.

Beans

send user data back home through back doors without user consent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The netflix thing is the biggest bummer for me. Aside from that, I haven't had any issues with not running Windows (although I've been using Ubuntu less than a week)

Page 259 of 289 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269 ... LastLast