Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Hybrid View

Beans

Lightbulb What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes

also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free
    HP Pavilion DV3-2150US
    Intel T6500 | 13.3IN WXGA | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 4GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Summit SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn View Post
    I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.
    /agree.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sx66gns View Post
    /agree.
    Yep, I agree, too.
    The impossible just delays a little more...

Tell Adobe you do care about Linux's Flash Player!

Beans

Blu-ray playback

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyvanleur View Post
    Blu-ray playback
    VLC plays them and its cross-platform.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn View Post
    A lot of *pirates* miss photoshop. Most pros are using a Mac anyway, they excel at graphics work.

Anyway, Windows is better than Linux with it's GUI config tools. If Microsoft did anything right with Windows it was those GUI tools. Past that, there are simply a lot of applications that do not work on any GNU/Linux distribution non-trivially, such as games. Tax-software is a big deal too. But there are added benefits to using a distribution of GNU/Linux over Windows, it's give and take.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on that one. You have to pay for windowblinds, and the built-in schemes are just pitiful. Every distro of Linux I've used had better gui options (GNOME, KDE, Xfce).
    However, in the gaming community, I have to agree as well. I play WoW with absolutely no issues; the FPS runs at least 1 1/2 times faster than it EVER did in Window$; and runs in only about 3/4GB of ram (I have 4, and that total includes the rest of the running processes on the system). Other games I've had trouble with (Civ 3 and 4, Command and Conquer, etc.), but WoW is my main game as of now. I run all the add-ons I want w/ a 256M video card.
    I think the more weight Linux carries in the computing world as an alternate desktop solution (hopefully a primary solution soon in the future), the more support our community will be offered in these venues. Write the software companies, tell them. At least they could provide game libs that jive with wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just stoped dual booting one week ago and now only have Ubuntu.
    Games: yeah seems an issue but since i kicked windonts habit im having plenty of fun with linux games and discovering how to install my favorite commercial games so I really dont miss windonts like i thought i would. So my experience is whatever windonts can do dosen't matter to me since i commited myself to Linux/Ubuntu
    Videos: huh, I have no problems there. All online stuff works for me. I did go through a post for video sound issues that really is great. Ill come back and try to link it.
    I find Windonts is like all my other bad habits. The worst part is using it and fearing life with out it. Then, in reality, after kicking the habit, i find that windonts was really keeping me and my computer from doing more than I ever knew we could. Yes we are now good friends again without my addiction coming between us. lol
    So i guess to answer your question,
    What can windonts do that Linux wont.? Turn me into a monkey punching buttons in a commercial experiment. LOL Just IMO. I know many Windonts admins are just as smart, some are even my friends, as Linux folks. But it seems all levls of Linux users are willing to share there knowledge where as Windonts seem to want you to beleave you must be blessed by the Gates gods and have there mark before they will share with you. But hmm maybe im pre judging here, lol.
    well ill put down the coffee and M&Ms so i can stop the rant.
    Linux, "What may I do for you?"
    Windows, "What may I do you for?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The post that will solve almost any video probs you may have is;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    After following this I have no probs with any video.
    I was wondering, why does it seem that just because Linux/Ubuntu is free we sometimes get to thinking, pulling out a couple bucks(50-100) for an emulator is taboo and think Wine is the only option?? Shoot the way i see it I've saved myself well over, what, $20,000.00 if you consider the seven versions of Windonts I had purchased, but never will need to again. Plus the four computers to keep up with windonts hunger. Shoot I think I will feel just find spending $100.00 once a year for a cross over emulator if i need to, compaired to my life before with windonts.
    Whats so bad about paying for emulator if it keeps windonts out of our lives?
    Linux, "What may I do for you?"
    Windows, "What may I do you for?"

Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast