Page 1 of 289 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Lightbulb What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes

also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free
    HP Pavilion DV3-2150US
    Intel T6500 | 13.3IN WXGA | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 4GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Summit SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

those videos you should copy the addresses for them and use mplayer at the command prompt, it's more likely to tell you what the problem is, more than not a missing dll or problematic codec.

I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.
    I don't think gaming is that important to most people, only the very loud and the early adopters. once we're past this phase you'll find most new users don't play games or find the games available in Linux to be superior in the types of games they play (puzzle games etc)
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Ya, with the mplayer-mozilla plugin and flash-mozilla plugin you should be able to stream all videos on any page.

Gaming is def a big issue. The people at wine and crossover make some of the larger titles and older games available, but its by no means a reasonable alternative... yet.

The only thing i've found to date is my modem. Winmodems simply wont work with linux, end of story. Some people have had limited success with linuxants drivers but they didnt work for me.

Photoshop? Nah theres gimp.

Another thing.. there might be some scanners that wont work with ubuntu. But I think feistys support is better in this department.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Praill View Post
    Ya, with the mplayer-mozilla plugin and flash-mozilla plugin you should be able to stream all videos on any page.

Gaming is def a big issue. The people at wine and crossover make some of the larger titles and older games available, but its by no means a reasonable alternative... yet.

The only thing i've found to date is my modem. Winmodems simply wont work with linux, end of story. Some people have had limited success with linuxants drivers but they didnt work for me.

Photoshop? Nah theres gimp.

Another thing.. there might be some scanners that wont work with ubuntu. But I think feistys support is better in this department.
    o yeah, i forgot about the winmodems, i tried so hard to get mine to work on here with no avail, thankfully my dad got sick of us being on the internet all the time (he couldnt use the phone) so he got highspeed

and about the videos, there are only a few that dont work, the major sites like youtube and stuff like that all work, its just some of the lesser known sites (cant recall any at the moment, like i said, very few) that have videos that dont work.
    Last edited by Fittersman; May 7th, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
    HP Pavilion DV3-2150US

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    or find the games available in Linux to be superior in the types of games they play (puzzle games etc)
    Most people will prefer shooters and racing games to puzzle games.
    And ask an professional about The Gimp, I doubt you'll hear many positive reactions (off course it works perfectly well for what I and most users do with their graphics software).

Hardware has never been a problem for me with Linux, in fact, I like the way Kubuntu deals with hardware a lot better then Windows XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's not that it can't do certain things, it's just that those certain things weren't written to be run under the Linux kernel, they were written specifically for Win32.
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by happy-and-lost View Post
    It's not that it can't do certain things, it's just that those certain things weren't written to be run under the Linux kernel, they were written specifically for Win32.
    ok, they what things werent written to work under the linux kernel?
    HP Pavilion DV3-2150US

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No they don't. unless your definition of 'most people' is 'most white, male, under 25 and over 13s' which mine isn't and most PEOPLE I know of all kinds like to play puzzle, platform, logic, and various other games and don't like to play either racing or shoot 'em ups.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn View Post
    I beg to differ:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...-on-pc-gaming/
    Last edited by aysiu; January 10th, 2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Updated link

Page 1 of 289 1231151101 ... LastLast