Page 273 of 289 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by leunam12 View Post
    I second this, LibreOffice is no match for MS Office, but MS Office 2003 runs pretty well on wine.
    I would really enjoy some specific explanation of your issues, rather than vague generalities.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    I would really enjoy some specific explanation of your issues, rather than vague generalities.
    I suspect what he means is that Libre doesn't have 100% compatibility with MS Office. I ran into that myself--I tried using it in the office full-time, but that didn't work out too well in the end. It's something like 95% compatible, but in an office situation that last 5% becomes a significant issue: it didn't handle all of our form data fields correctly, etc. Of course, for home use, Libre is almost overbuilt--I use it at home exclusively.

Beans

There's always going to be that one program on Windows that won't work on Linux, even when using Wine. However, I always find that there's a better alternative to it. (Except for Star Trek Online. I've never been able to get it working on Linux, and I've had to shamelessly boot into Windows just to play it)

Beans

I'm sorry about the vague generalities, I'll play a little bit with LibreOffice since I haven't used it in a while and maybe the issues are gone, then I'll be more specific. One thing that I really like about MS Word is that you can select a line with just one click,while in Libre Office it takes dragging to select; on a long document that needs formatting, especially when you are running out of time it makes a big difference that click and drag vs just clicking. However the actual reason I stopped using Libre Office a while ago was that it was too slow and choked with a simple 250 page document. But I'll give it another try.
    Last edited by leunam12; April 8th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Beans

Try SoftMaker Office , it flies and it is made for Linux!

Beans

I just installed it and it looks very promising.

Beans

Things that cannot be done in Linux distros

Things that cannot be done in Linux distros :

1.)Premium high quality gaming: Linux although housing a large no of native games it lacks developer support and games are usually of poor graphics and cannot match up to other platforms. Even Steam for ubuntu does not have high quality free games. So the only good games on ubuntu are paid games with the exception of a few games such as open arena, nexuiz etc. Microsoft's platform has a large collection of free to play demos which high quality graphics and visuals.So i really do request developers to rewrite classics such Need for Speed: Most Wanted, GTA:San Andreas etc. for Linux (of course they will be called by other names). I'd rather not use wine at all.

2.)Propreitary CADD software companies do not release their source codes and hence Linux does not have professional CADD software such as AutoCAD, CATIA etc.Although people may argue that Wine (Windows emulator) can run such windows software, in practice they have failed.

Hopefully developers start supporting these above two mentioned type of softwares and finally propreitary operating systems will be a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Wasprulez1990; May 19th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Things that cannot be done in Linux distros

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this thread was.

And expect games to start flowing out when the Steam Box is released.

[EDIT]
    Nevermind this reply. It transferred over when the moderator moved a thread here.
    Last edited by King Dude; May 19th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Things that cannot be done in Linux distros

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

My point being that I really love the way my distro [raring ringtail] works......
    I'm just dissatisfied with the games available on it....
    Quake 3 Arena was damn good, when i did come to ubuntu i didn't miss it coz openarena was already there...
    But I used to play a lot Need for speed: Most Wanted and I really miss it....coz in this case there is no linux counterpart...
    The more important things I miss are CATIA, Autocad and a few other CADD software.....
    Hopefully things will change in the future
    A note to the developers : I'd really like these software on linux as well

Page 273 of 289 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast