Page 159 of 289 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I like games a lot. The game I played the most over the past five years Is The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion because I learned about mods. That I could create them myself and play other's mods. It saved me a lot on buying new games Usually when I had an idea for one I would look on the Nexus and it was already done and far better than I would have been able to manage. Linux is like that for the entire system, IMHO.
    I like to learn how to do more than just surf the net and shoot zombies also. I consider Linux more of a thinking person's operating system. With a distribution like Ubuntu, you are told honestly and up front when you are helping with improving software (beta tester) and never required to pay, although welcome to donate time, money, input.
    Windows is much better at charging you for further beta testing, creating licenses that make it questionable whether you even own the hardware you purchased, after agreeing to install "Their software" and inconveniencing the paying customers in order to fail to stop the pirates from using their software without authorization.
    I have not tried to play what I would call a native Windows game on Linux yet. I have only been using Linux for a short time. I might have thought that sound recording would be an issue but in one day I was able to record my bass through my Creative Audigy sound card using Audacity, a more than good enough Digital Audio Workstation for my simple needs. I have struggled mightily and failed to achieve that in Windows using the very expensive Cakewalk Sonar program.
    Adobe, in general, Photoshop in particular. Yes I love their fine and very expensive products. I look forward to finding work- around solutions for them also. I have tried Gimp and look forward to trying Gimpshop.
    It is really about a difference in mentality. Bill wants as much control as he can get. If it were possible he would own the internet. Open Source is about all of us trying to make improvements, each according to our ability.
    I used to prefer console gaming to PC until I started assembling my own PC. With some modest hardware, instead of the bare minimum, gaming on the PC became a pleasure.
    I have been using Ubuntu for a little over a week on my personal machine, a little longer because I actually had someone request that I install it on the build I did for them. I am very grateful for them getting me to do something I have wanted to do for ten years.
    It is different, the lingo, the alphabet soup is a little spicier. I like to learn and explore so it is right up my alley. The command line does not frighten me. I love that I can use copy and paste functions there.
    I still have Windows and have played some games, used Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Word. Four out of five times I boot Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was not able to use my Kodak 5500 AiO printer at all in Linux. But now on SourceForge there is a AiO driver that allows printing. Still no scanner but that is not that important to me as I typically use it only for copies at the printer.

So I can say for me that Windows allows full use of my Kodak printer and runs Stinger.

Beans
    Distro

We can argue about BTRFS, EXT4, EXT3, JFS, XFS, and all the other FS's

Wobbly Windows.--Compiz

Windows can do viruses. (not that I miss that)
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Book printing?
    Oh I know! It can crash!
    Ok, Linux can do that, but very poorly.
    Windows does it very well. Even hourly!

Beans

If you remove Ndiswrapper, Wine(cedega and crossover) and virtualbox (they are using windows), I think Linux cannot indulge any average user longer than a day. Yes it can run in headless computers for years and run in supercomputers and run hollywood renderfarm. For an average user for day to day computing, it is better to ask what can LINUX do without missing windows?
    I have never seen any computer running linux 100%. They either dual boot or use virtualisation software but I have seen a hell lot of computers without a trace of linux. That pretty much explain windows can do a heck lot that linux cant with increased efficiency. (I am not a Windows fanboy any way)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alcohol52 View Post
    If you remove Ndiswrapper, Wine(cedega and crossover) and virtualbox (they are using windows), I think Linux cannot indulge any average user longer than a day. Yes it can run in headless computers for years and run in supercomputers and run hollywood renderfarm. For an average user for day to day computing, it is better to ask what can LINUX do without missing windows?
    I have never seen any computer running linux 100%. They either dual boot or use virtualisation software but I have seen a hell lot of computers without a trace of linux. That pretty much explain windows can do a heck lot that linux cant with increased efficiency. (I am not a Windows fanboy any way)
    Obviously you have never met me (or my computer)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    Obviously you have never met me (or my computer)
    Obviously you took no note of the word "average" within the grandparent.
    Jonathan Rothwell
    (Still waiting for my cheque from $CORPORATION for shilling)
    HTML5 is not a drop-in replacement for Flash. This does not mean that Flash is A Good Thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by alcohol52 View Post
    Yes you are a Windows Fanboy .. or you would have looked further before you made such a blanket statement. I have 5 Linux based desktops that have NO connection to Windows .. No Cedega, No Crossover, No virtual box, No Dual boot .. no Windows programs what so ever on any of them. They do exactly as I want them ... but, then again, I do not waste my time trying to use Windows programs on Linux when a substitute that works just as well for most applications can be found in the FOSS community. And I do not waste hours and money playing games or living in an imaginary world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The only reason i realy boot to windows at the moment is to use MS Office....
    Noone can deny the fact that it's a lot better office suite than the openoffice.Other than that i don't realy need windows...
    P.S. : By the way i also boot windows to play some zynga poker in fb cause it won't work correctly in ubuntu mozilla

Does this ring any bell?
    If it doesn't work good,make it look good...
    -Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro

MS Office runs in Wine...

Page 159 of 289 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast