Page 287 of 289 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289 LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

The only thing I can do with windows that I cant do with Ubuntu is crash every day, other than that the windows games I play run fine through wine, and when I play Freespace, well....I have that installed on Ubuntu

Beans

I'm not a gamer, so I feel kind of an outsider in this thread, but there are a few things I have in the Windows environment at work that I really miss at home on my Ubuntu laptop.
    If anyone knows of a solution to these deficiencies, PLEASE let me know.

(I'm a relative nubie to Linux although I'm a Unix main-frame "dinasaur jockey" from way back.)

1. Snip, I use it daily at work and really miss it at home.
    2. I haven't found a viable Linux equivalent to Notepad++ as a developer tool.
    3. I haven't found a viable Linux equivalent to Visio. I have tried a few and they are pretty pathetic.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Originally posted by wantdownload:-

I think that there are definitely driver issues that Windows has ironed out, but distros like Ubuntu haven't (and that's because hardware makers are tough, not bagging on ubuntu), also I feel that a large portion of creative professionals like designers feel the need to use Photoshop, and After Effects and at this time it isn't available for any Linux distros. Also, let's be honest, most linux distros take a fair bit of tweaking when installing on the average computer, this is past the average persons technical knowledge, so they simply don't bother installing it.
    I can't really agree with this. I've installed Ubuntu distros to at least four computers in the last 6 months; two of those in the last fortnight.

Every single install was very straight forward.....presenting no problems whatsoever. Possibly because none of these machines were brand new, and had been around for at least 3 years; therefore the kernels have had time to include the necessary drivers, etc., for the hardware that these systems have fitted.

But between installing, and simply using; and installing, and then having to trawl the web to hunt down drivers that I need, well.....I know which makes more sense to me! You must remember, these programmers/developers don't get paid a living wage for what they so willingly do; the majority of them are enthusiastic volunteers. Also, that the bigger half of the Linux kernel is nothing but drivers; an enormous quantity of them, covering almost the entirety of the hardware that has been released over pretty much the last 15 years. That is a LOT of hardware!

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; October 11th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Why should Linux be a "pure equivalent" to MS Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

The main thing is dupe money from hundreds of millions of people and have them thinking they have a superior product and everything's safe and secure aslong as you spend a little bit more of your hard earned cash on some antivirus software. In all bill gates must of been a magician the way he controlled the market for so long. But mainly as it has been said thousands of times before gaming.
    The mind is the greatest weapon only the strong will prosper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen10862 View Post
    the only thing i can do with windows that i cant do with ubuntu is crash every day, other than that the windows games i play run fine through wine, and when i play freespace, well....i have that installed on ubuntu
    spot on!!! :d

Beans

it doesn't matter to me since I don't use Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh, I have one that Windows can do that Linux can't (or doesn't)!

I was in the middle of a WebEx video conference when the machine decided it had to reboot to apply patches!

I chose not to reboot before that time because it was close to the meeting's time, and I did not have a power chord and sometimes the "do not shut off this computer .. applying patches" can take a looooooong time (it is a very low-powered machine). So I figured I would do it when I get home and can plug it in.

Grr.... thanks Microsoft.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

OS don't really matter as much as it did before and this is applicable for those who have very long experience with a OS (I am a 21 years old Windows user that been using Windows since he was maybe 3 years old, but I also like Linux.), but the only thing that Windows have over Linux is software support, and closed-software support for those who prefer to keep their codes out of prying eyes. As for security discussion, I can pretty much get the equivalent security with over 5 layers of security and even protect myself from zero-day exploits in Windows while still keeping CPU loads low and so on in that OS, whether I use Linux or not doesn't matter for me at that aspect although I recognize Linux is mandatory if you want to have a secured Windows as Live CDs can be used to check on things in case of problems with the regular method of finding problems. Hell, I can probably enter some of the most dangerous website (security-wise) using Windows and still be safe considering the huge level of security I can have with the setup I have.
    Last edited by Heavenly_Abyss; November 25th, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

Beans

I just wish someone create a software to fetch itunes U feeds and collect the links in a nice way. I don't understand why Linux guys are reinventing the wheel, mostly for desktop environments and software with same old functions.

Page 287 of 289 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289 LastLast