Page 278 of 289 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    of the 277 pages, this is probably mentioned in at least 200 of them.

Ahh, and its so true
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, as I don't have enough time to browse 277 pages of thread.

Most of those that Windows can do that Linux cannot are matter of tradition. Many people are used to doing things in certain ways that is based on the conventions and syntax of Windows. Many of these can be done in Ubuntu but in a lot of different way. That is why shifting from Windows to Ubuntu takes time and determination. Aside from that, most of the advantages of Windows is that several commercial software programs as well as FOSS are compatible with it, while Ubuntu is usually compatible only with other FOSS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gretenov View Post
    I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, as I don't have enough time to browse 277 pages of thread.

Most of those that Windows can do that Linux cannot are matter of tradition. Many people are used to doing things in certain ways that is based on the conventions and syntax of Windows. Many of these can be done in Ubuntu but in a lot of different way. That is why shifting from Windows to Ubuntu takes time and determination. Aside from that, most of the advantages of Windows is that several commercial software programs as well as FOSS are compatible with it, while Ubuntu is usually compatible only with other FOSS.
    Whether a program is FOSS or not makes no difference if it is compatible with a system or not.
    If a program is written to run on Ubuntu it will run on Ubuntu, regardless of license.

Windows just simply has a vastly larger selection of commercial software available and written for it.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

• What can Windows do that Linux can't?
    Well, it can show a GUI for starters. Linux cannot do that - it needs a window manager such as Gnome, since Linux is the kernel - the "core" of the OS, not *THE* OS.

Beans

Borland C++ Builder has no version compatible with current Linux versions. Briefly there was a Linux version of Builder called Kylix, but it worked only on three distributions and no longer works at all as far as I am aware. I wrote with Borland Builder a number of programs -- such as G7 and Interdyme -- for building economic models, and these programs work only on Windows. I am trying to rewrite them with cross-platform tools, notably wxWidgets and Code::Blocks, but it is a big job. Meanwhile, I have to keep Windows on my computer solely to run my own programs.

Beans

- All USB modems works perfect on Windows when in Ubuntu we usually need ppp/wvdial. Yes because all USB modems created for Windows.
    - Matlab, no FOSS replaces Matlab perfectly.
    - EAGLE, Protel, ISIS, Multisim, TINA, PSPICE, no one has perfect Ubuntu version.

Beans

Having used Ubuntu since Karmic and seen many improvements along the way, one thing that is a really inconvenient experience, that has not been resolved in all this time, and is partly caused by the applications and no so much Ubuntu themselves, is the rotten '/home' folder with its half-hidden folders full of somebody else's junk.
    I need a folder to put all my stuff. /home is certainly not the place. As it is used by any installed application to save it's settings. This is the problem: Many applications default their file open/save navigation to a folder full of junk. The junk is sometimes hidden and sometimes in your face. And is often huge. This is not a "how do I avoid this?" question. This is "how to change Ubuntu to avoid this mess?" One that is unnecessary.
    Note: You, personally, may have learned to live with it, but do you think it is OK for newbies to fight against, and perhaps lose, when they don't need to?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    is partly caused by the applications and no so much Ubuntu themselves, is the rotten '/home' folder with its half-hidden folders full of somebody else's junk.

This isn't someone else junk, this is your personal junk!

Each app will have a folder
    Code:
    .[nameOfApp]
    This is where this application will store settings that are specific to you.
    It will likely store temp files in the same place.

I'm sure that you already know this (after all you've been using Ubuntu since karmic). I understand that for a new user it may seem 'strange' but surely it's much better than the mess that you get with windows?

With regard to the default location to store your saved files, most apps will default to your personal home directory, often times you will find a setting for a default location (I admit that finding this setting is often not obvious).

With windows, you never know if the app you have installed is going to install into
    Code:
    c:\programs
    or directly into the root
    Code:
    c:\
    then of course your app may decide to create it's own directory into it's source directory, for including the details of your personal setting.

Remember here that windows is generally a single user system. So where the settings are stored is irrelevant, it is likely only you that will use this terminal.

Should you try to migrate your setting from one terminal to another, your going to have a lot of fun, as different apps store things in different locations. I propose that you try making use of the windows 'user settings transfer wizzard', even if you only use MS applications you don't get all your setting for word / xl / powerpoint etc.

In the linux world, you can simply tar up your home drive, and copy all the files to the new system, and your setting should be as they where. I've never had a problem with this, and I've done it a number of times, with re-installs of new systems (remembering to keep your home drive on a separate partition is easiest). and after a old system has died - simply pull out the old HDD, and copy all the 'hidden' folder onto the new.

Nothing could be easier....

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Malsasa View Post
    - Matlab, no FOSS replaces Matlab perfectly.
    What does it has to do with Windows vs Linux? Matlab runs on Linux natively.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To ianp5a

" /home is certainly not the place. As it is used by any installed application to save it's settings."

I don't have more than user-folders and lost&found in my home-folder. But in /home/Azyx all my settings and files are there. If you add another user, it create another folder like /home/newuser, and thier application settings and file they add are there.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit, 14.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 14.04LTS?

Page 278 of 289 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288 ... LastLast