Page 275 of 289 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,750 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

[sic]
    Last edited by SPARTAN-118; June 2nd, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
    Let me know if I'm being too technical - or not technical enough!
    There is a blank space here.
    Unreal Circumstances

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tetzeli View Post
    Attract major commercial software developers to create high-end multimedia editing programs or linux ports of already existing ones. If you determine professional standard programs by what the pros are using (a reasonable assumption), in the music business it's all Windows or Mac. Same with video (especially video - some colleges require their students own a Mac for film courses). In Wine the best audio program I've been able to run is Cool Edit Pro, which is miles behind the likes of Samplitude, Sound Forge, etc. Samplitude will install, but is severely crippled. Izotope Ozone will install, but you can't activate it out of demo mode. Etc., etc.

Love what Linux is. Looking forward to what it can be.
    What about Fruity Loops Studio, or Ableton Live? I'm not into music production but from what I've seen those are the standard for audio production nowadays. Particularly if you're an independent artist, you're going to be using one of those two or both. If I ever get into that sort of thing though I'd likely just stick with Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS), which is basically a free version of FL Studio apparently. Also, despite the name, it's available for Windows, too.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the double post, Firefox didn't show my last one. :/
    Last edited by SPARTAN-118; June 2nd, 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: double post
    Let me know if I'm being too technical - or not technical enough!
    There is a blank space here.
    Unreal Circumstances

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Store printer settings in registry in two different places one of which is a base64 encoded binary blob encased in XML.
    Last edited by prodigy_; June 7th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fittersman View Post
    I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free
    ^^^
    Sibelius 7 for composing music with notation and with video tracks. Nothing in linux matches this, not even Rosegarden. Sibelius and Finale are the two primary music composing/notation apps in the Windows world, no linux app is able to do what Sibelius does especially in terms of utilizing professional grade instrument libraries (see below)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFDWBIs_4NY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvwUBNg-X8 (Avatar movie scored using Sibelius)

High end sampled instrument libraries for use with DAWs like Cubase, Pro Logic, and Sibelius: (I own these and more, but I can't use them on Linux and nothing exists comparable to even purchase to use with e.g. Rosegarden or Ardour or Reaper)
    http://www.projectsam.com/Products/F...-Products/1367
    Sample song using Symphobia sample library: http://soundcloud.com/projectsam/sym...-theywereright
    Orchestral String library:
    http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings
    Last edited by Coder88; June 7th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Is this thread about what the two operating systems are capable of or about what software is available for each?

Many people here can't seem to tell the difference between these two.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Things that cannot be done in Linux distros

Quote Originally Posted by Wasprulez1990 View Post
    ... So i really do request developers to rewrite classics such Need for Speed: Most Wanted, GTA:San Andreas etc. for Linux (of course they will be called by other names). I'd rather not use wine at all.
    I'm involved in a port of an old classic DOS game (does that count?) to Linux and other modern OSs, though you've probably never heard of it: Race Into Space

Beans

Play every commercial game for PC, unintentionally get viruses, run the current Internet Explorer, use a few internet plug-ins (primarily games), *insert insult about closed source software here*.

Of course, there are all of those things Windows can't do that Linux can, but surely posts have some character limit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I will tell you one thing windows does that Linux doesn't...SUCK!! ; )
    What keeps the world in chains but your beliefs?
    And what can save the world except your Self?
    Belief is powerful indeed.

Beans

Windows can empty your money pocket it can give blue screen and you can only use it for gaming or specific software that is just written for windows!
    So, your better of with a linux distro

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Just to name two Windows features by design which Linux cannot do: enforcing DRM and having built-in backdoors that allow the NSA to spy on you.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 13th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Page 275 of 289 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285 ... LastLast