Page 269 of 289 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Linux and Ubuntu are quite bad at running most trojans and worms out there.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit, 16.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 16.04LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gb74 View Post
    That's because Photoshop really didn't try to go after pirates early on. They let all these people pirate it, get used to it, and subsequently become hooked on it.

People used it in their professional and home life. Cornered the market.
    Adobe knows a good situation when they find it! That's why they DIDN'T try to stop pirates early on.

Gimp is good for the most part, but I hear that it doesn't compare to Photoshop for anybody really familiar with Photoshop.

For me, both seem overly complicated for what I do and either a Photo manager with editor or basic image editors work fine. I'd be happy if Pinta and Paint.NET converged more.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Adobe knows a good situation when they find it! That's why they DIDN'T try to stop pirates early on.
    Because now with activation and stuff everyone's eager to buy Photoshop for just $700. Oh, wait...

/facepalm

Beans

In Windows, you can use Clipboard monitoring in several text editors - Editplus, Exdor etc. Clipboard monitoring (autopaste into an open text file or document) does not seem to be available in Ubuntu. Only clipboard programs, which you cannot directly edit and save. This is a big disappointment for me, as I used autocopy in firefox with autopaste in a text editor while in Windows. Just keep marking stuff on the browser, and it is copied in the background in your text editor...and then you edit it and save it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gurrunaki View Post
    Still thinking Photoshop is a heavy reason...
    Have you tried running Photoshop in Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Photoshop, iTunes for sync with iphone, TaxAct for taxes desktop version. Stopping support and charging for upgrade to current software. Requiring a robust antivirus program.
    Certainly not a long list - I'm certain that M$ has other gotchas but I'm pretty happy with Linux - Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For TaxAct you might want to try the online version...i have used it for several years now and it is excellent....in fact, did my taxes yesterday using it on my ubuntu 13.04 that i am currently running...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    For TaxAct you might want to try the online version...i have used it for several years now and it is excellent....in fact, did my taxes yesterday using it on my ubuntu 13.04 that i am currently running...
    Thanks! I noticed that the online version provides the capability to import last year's desktop version's return

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You are very welcome! I forgot to mention that (i use that feature too and it works great)

And you don't have to do the whole thing in one session (though i tend to but that's me....lol) it will save all you have entered until the next time you log into it, and then picks up where you left off...

Beans

Ubuntu does not recognize my Passport External Disk, i.e., without some tweaking from an expert in Linux software. If Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (forget 12.04) could recognize 'automatically' the USB drives, I would have switched long ago to UBuntu 10.04 LTS. Also, although Open Office is nice, because it is free, it is not Microsoft Word. Word has its problems, but it is still better, in most instances, than Open Office Writer. ( I just cannot get used to Ubuntu 12.04. I tried Mint Mate and Mint Cinnamon, also Fedora 15, but Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has my vote!) I just wish that Canoni...... would maintain and upgrade Ubuntu 10.04 LTS like Mint has the Mate version and the Cinnamon version.

Page 269 of 289 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279 ... LastLast