Page 266 of 284 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 2838

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako View Post
    Netzero Broadband USB and Civilization II. That's all I can come up with.

Civ 2 (game) still checks for a CDROM, and Netzero's USB dongle (UBEE PXU190 E) has no Linux drivers. Some rare closed-source hardware may also falter in a *NIX environment (my Toshiba/Ricoh internal SD card reader), but those are rare instances.
    I think FreeCiv is supposed to be based on Civilization II. Right now my son is playing it, and I have lost way to many nights of sleep to the darn thing.

It even has a Windows version!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

Besides gaming (which I rarely do and if I do, I use other devices for it). I've found that sometimes files recovery for windows files is more effective if using a Windows software.

Other than that, Linux has been overwhelming me and fulfilling my needs since 2009.
    Using Ubuntu since 9.04, loving it since 2010. Still trying to fully understand it. My boxes' HW specs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I think FreeCiv is supposed to be based on Civilization II. Right now my son is playing it, and I have lost way to many nights of sleep to the darn thing.
    While I like FreeCiv as a concept, it's just not quite the same. Specifically the ease of which Civ2 takes to set up rather than the tireless menu and keyboard configuring it takes to turn FreeCiv into Civ2. (And then the combat still needs tweaking.)

Beans

Smile Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Posted on: http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...reply&t=435866
    Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn View Post
    Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.
    I'm not in a profession that uses Photoshop, but GIMP for editing pictures and PDF-Shuffler(gscan2pdf) for combining, reshuffling and rotating individual one page pdf documents into multipage pdf documents work really well.
    Even if you already scanned into jpg format, just organize the jpg files needed to be made/added to the multipage pdf document in one folder, then enter "convert *.jpg filename.pdf" to convert multiple jpg files into one pdf file.
    In case you think PDF-Shuffler reshuffles pages too slowly, then before converting jpg to pdf use "sudo vidir -v *.jpg" to rename en masse all the jpg files so that they are first in order, then convert them to a multipage pdf document with the "convert " command in terminal.

Beans

Angry Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

For me when I am keeping my second language Chinese in shape, certain Chinese software just doesn't work, more specifically QQ instant messenger(Pidgin took QQ off their list of protocols) and PPStream.
    Even though both QQ and PPS have an Ubuntu version, but when I install QQ it turns out being outdated, so even though it looks like an installed software, still you can't login, so it's still a sham. PPS's linux version softare looks like it installed perfectly also, except when you hit the "play" button to start the TV program/movie, it just sits there like a dead animal on the highway. Of course with Tencent the animated commercials on the side fully function, if not then they might have to change their name to twocent.

Andrew
    Last edited by afc888ny; February 10th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fittersman View Post
    I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...
    Bog down your computer more and more with each and every upgrade.
    Main WS: Compaq Presario/Athelon X2 4450e Dual Core/3GB RAM/G-Force 210 64bit 1024k RAM Monitors: Compaq WF 1907 & Vizio M220VA --- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    UbuntuGuide Help Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by n4pgw View Post
    Bog down your computer more and more with each and every upgrade.
    That's funny, Windows 8 with a direct upgrade from Windows 7 - not a clean install - on my desktop computer runs faster than Windows 7.
    I take it the last time you used a modern Windows OS was Vista?

Also, frank cox, you say Microsoft Word is expensive, and that may be true (don't know what Office 2013 prices will be, I've been using the free Consumer Preview of it, and then only Word). However, $80 for SoftMaker isn't exactly cheap, either.
    Last edited by SPARTAN-118; February 10th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Let me know if I'm being too technical - or not technical enough!
    There is a blank space here.
    Unreal Circumstances

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DenysT View Post
    Two things right off the bat.

Now HOW TO CRASH UBUNTU: Insert Epson Artisan 700 CD ROM. Wait until the message saying the CD contains executable code and then go to browse the CD. Wham! Reboot in progress and continues until the CD is removed. What an eye opener that was. And to think I actually e-mailed Epson about Linux support for the Artisan 700. Maybe Epson hates Linux and put reboot code on the CD. Or maybe I just a bad CD, naw worked fine on the two XP machines, no BSOD on them.
    First you only use "run as " for certain programs most people would never use it
    and nobody uses regularly save maybe an IT guy or a programmer.. Do a search for permissions and learn how to change the permissions . Often you can right click on the file and choose permissions and change them as desired. If that does not work you can use the chown {change owner} or the chmod command . You have to remember Linux was designed to be a advanced multi-user with bulletproof security. It is a bit challenging t0 set the mis-configured permissions when your new but it gets easier quick and is seldom needed.
    Windows security is non-existent in comparison.

As far as you trying to use a windows install disk for anything in Linux or trying to execute and exe file {windows executable} makes me question whether or not you truly comprehend what an operating system is or for that matter an executable file , as someone already asked :what do you think would happen if you put a Linux or Mac disk in a Window machine ?

I use an Epson 700 Artisan all in one with Linux , on Ubuntu all you need to do is hook the printer and agree when it pops up a message asking is you wish to install it. Takes all of 15 seconds to install as long as you have an up to date Epson driver package installed. There is a very good chance it is there out of the box. Most printers , if they are compatible, install automatically when you turn them on for the first time, what could be easier? Epson also offers Linux drivers for the scanner but Simple Scan or XSane and a number of other generic scanner software programs work fine for my needs.
    . For more advanced features than even proprietary software provides try vuscan http://www.hamrick.com/

Linux is cool , vuscan will work on over 1800 scanners and simple scan and Xsane even more. Have an old scanner? With windows you could spend a half a day looking for drivers , with Linux the odds are overwhelming one of those 3 will work.

Linux is not for everyone. Maybe you would be happier with Puppy Linux, it is super fast and it runs in memory so even though it runs as root all the time I have never heard of anyone having a security problem with it, o any other distro for that matter.
    Last edited by frank cox; February 19th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN-118 View Post
    That's funny, Windows 8 with a direct upgrade from Windows 7 - not a clean install - on my desktop computer runs faster than Windows 7.
    Yeah, Win8 is generally faster than Win7 almost in all cases... except where performance actually matters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I keep Windows around for very specific games and recording those games for YouTube.

I'm looking forward to a time when that is not the case but right now it's a fact. If I want to play the games I enjoy. Continue to play those games with my Windows running friends I will have to keep a partition for Windows.

I have a YouTube channel devoted to gaming, the games I record run on Windows. The method of recording those games is on Windows, but I do the editing on Ubuntu. I know that there are screen recorders that "can" run on Ubuntu but they don't do it well or well enough to be feasible. Even then it doesn't answer the question of the viewer numbers I would get if I limited my gaming to native Linux games.

My Linux Steam collection is growing, the list of games I own that run is getting longer. The simple fact is that those games run more smoothly on Windows. There are many more that currently don't run and I can never see being ported. As a gamer that prefers Linux to Windows I welcome Valves introduction of Steam but it's not the silver bullet some would like to think it is.
    PendragonUK
    Middle aged geek, Clan Admin, PC-gamer, Freelance-nerd.
    Twitter / identi.ca / Blog / Google+

Page 266 of 284 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276 ... LastLast