Page 262 of 289 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

  1. #2611
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    It is also not fair windows gets all the viruses and poor Linux is left out of the fun!
    Maybe you can play with them in WINE and then submit a rating to WINEHQ. Wonder if any virus gets platinum ratings.

  2. #2612
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Beans
    4,900
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Wonder if any virus gets platinum ratings.
    Last I heard of anyone trying this, they got pretty poor ratings, only one actually managed to run and none were able to do anything malicious.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

    "Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

  3. #2613
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,552
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Just for the record I never timed it, but I install OS' 5 to 6 times a year if not more times. I try different distros and then come back to Ubuntu. I do Alpha/Beta testing so I do a lot of fresh installs.
    I use an older Dell Inspiron 1521 for this and I have a 40 Mbps wired Internet connection. I do all my installing from a USB. From boot up and Install (fresh install) it take about 30 to 40 minutes. The first thing I do is setup my wifi and do a update on the base install.(about another 15 to 20 minutes). Like I said, I keep all my files and email in the cloud (Ubuntuone and Gmail). I have Google drive Ubuntu one and Dropbox and a few others. I keep a lot of stuff on remote drives also. This is where I am getting my statement that it takes me about an hour and I am up and running. My computer is usable. I have done this so many times it's second nature. (I also install Ubuntu on friend's computers and I have a server and a desktop running Ubuntu).
    As far as reinstalling applications I do this on the fly as I need them. I keep a list of apps that I use so I know what I need.
    The point being it is fast. I too also keep OS' on USB sticks so I could pop one in and boot to Puppy Linux or other distors.
    Yeah, I am kinda like that too. I like using dropbox because I have a slow internet connection and dropbox allows me to synchronize over the LAN. So I get my files over the local network which is way faster than internet! IF there were any feature I would like Ubuntu One to get, this is it.

    If I could synchronize with or mount SkyDrive I would be happy because I have 25GB available on that drive, compared to 5 on Ubuntu One and 2 on Dropbox.

    Then again, on my Chromebook it is even faster
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  4. #2614
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,345
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Yeah, I am kinda like that too. I like using dropbox because I have a slow internet connection and dropbox allows me to synchronize over the LAN. So I get my files over the local network which is way faster than internet! IF there were any feature I would like Ubuntu One to get, this is it.

    If I could synchronize with or mount SkyDrive I would be happy because I have 25GB available on that drive, compared to 5 on Ubuntu One and 2 on Dropbox.

    Then again, on my Chromebook it is even faster
    I am looking at getting a ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless AC 1750 Gigabit Router. It comes with 2 fast USB ports so I can use external HD on my local network and do file transfer very fast. With a firmware upgrade it will have AiCloud so I can remote into my drives over the Internet. When I get this setup I can get rid of all my cloud storage and have everything in one place. The only problem is this router is almost $200.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...s%20rt%20ac66u
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-...t-ac66u+router
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  5. #2615
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Beans
    1,552
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I am looking at getting a ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless AC 1750 Gigabit Router. It comes with 2 fast USB ports so I can use external HD on my local network and do file transfer very fast. With a firmware upgrade it will have AiCloud so I can remote into my drives over the Internet. When I get this setup I can get rid of all my cloud storage and have everything in one place. The only problem is this router is almost $200.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...s%20rt%20ac66u
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-...t-ac66u+router
    That looks pretty nice. I've been wrestling with getting my network situated between the Zentyal firewall, gigabit switch, networked drive and wireless router (broken). This would solve the router, wireless and network drive (plugging in via USB a drive) in one. May be worth the price (or at least a letter to Santa!)
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

  6. #2616
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,345
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    That looks pretty nice. I've been wrestling with getting my network situated between the Zentyal firewall, gigabit switch, networked drive and wireless router (broken). This would solve the router, wireless and network drive (plugging in via USB a drive) in one. May be worth the price (or at least a letter to Santa!)
    I can justify getting one, but all I need to do is convince my wife that we really need one.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  7. #2617
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    I believe there are 2 real problems for most Windows users, 1 is ease of use. I know that Ubuntu especially is getting better with each build but there is still the messing about in terminal that scares a lot of point and clicky Windows users they are used to Wizards and clicking buttons to configure stuff!
    Last edited by rDwyP44y; June 10th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.

  8. #2618
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    137
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    I would used to say netflix, but now that this things is around, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=netflix The only thing windows can do that linux cant, is freeze constantly and get infected with thousands of viruses.

  9. #2619
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    87

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    Windows XP, Vista and 7 will run Unreal Tournament just fine but I've never been able to get any version of Linux to do the same. That is basically the only reason I still have computers with multiple operating systems.

  10. #2620
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cinnamon land
    Beans
    363
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

    fill up all your RAM and CPU while sitting there doing nothing at all.
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN


Page 262 of 289 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •