Page 256 of 289 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by peyre View Post
    I doubt it. I've had similar troubles on other Ubuntu machines. (I'm an IT worker and my boss and I got into Ubuntu at the same time--I've tried the OS on several of our machines at work, and my boss has also commented that Ubuntu is less friendly with removable media.)
    I am retired from IT and I could not get anyone to even try Linux. I also owned and operated my own computer store which my son now runs. We build and sold computer for many years and I have been using Ubuntu Linux since 2005 and have use it on many many different computer. In fact I have three of them running in my home right now, one being a server, one a desktop and one a laptop. I have 10.04 on the server, 10.04 and the Desktop and I am up to 12.10 on my laptop and to be honest with you I never had a problem with CD's or DVD. Years ago I had a CD drive go bad but that was on a XP machine. I have replaced a few Hard Drives.
    What I am trying to say, overall I think hardware will give you problems with any OS, but there is some hardware that is not well supported with Linux but that is the fault of the Manufacture not the OS. And until Linux becomes more main stream this problem with stay with us.
    With that said, I know there are good programmers out here that when hardware hits the market they are working on drivers to get things working.
    So under the title of this thread "What can Windows do that Linux can't?" the subject of this post would be Linux can do hardware but it might take longer to do it.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

WELL IF YOU CONSIDER YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM A HORSE, THEN WINDOWS REFERS TO WITH BLINDERS, and LINUX IS WITHOUT BLINDERS...

With Blinders, it's a bit hard to run on the track. But without it, yes a little difficult, but still not that you cant....

The Windows-Linux contro solely relies on you. If you know which one above is worthy, well you have the answer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    a) I didn't put forward the 4x number, b) it was probably a picked out of the air and is a slight exaggeration.

I have no clue what the specs are on any mac, what I do know is that

I can get a bare bones kit for very, very cheap, I can build a desktop flushing out the bare bones that will fulfill all of my desktop needs for sub or slightly over $300 easily. Irregardless of if it's equivalent to the lowest mac is irrelevant, it let's a college student type his research paper, and that is what matters.

I don't need a 4D, super HD, 30" monitor to type a research paper on my desktop. I can get by with something a little cheaper, part of the beauty of a pc is that I can choose all of this. I don't get it crammed down my throat for 4k and get told I'm immune to all viruses.
    That is fair enough. I'm just saying when comparing you have to compare apples to apples no pun intended.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    That is fair enough. I'm just saying when comparing you have to compare apples to apples no pun intended.
    I would've preferred if you had intended the pun
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

There is no such program equivalent to Dreamweaver in Linux world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vkadal View Post
    Take your pick.
    Developer Tools.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!

As i read through this thread, i see there is a lot of things windows can do that linux can't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    As i read through this thread, i see there is a lot of things windows can do that linux can't.
    For this reason I keep Windows loaded on my laptop with Ubuntu, but one day I found I had not gone into Windows for months so I went out and got a SSD and just install Ubuntu on it and now I find I have never miss Windows since. What ever I was using Windows for I must be doing it somehow in Ubuntu. It's been over a year now since I have been Windows free and don't miss it at all. The only two OS' I use now is Ubuntu Linux and Android and my Tablet and Nook.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vkadal View Post
    There are similar ones as our friend gave you links to 1/2 a dozen and dreamweaver 7.0 runs perfectly under Wine.

Try again!

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...le=View+Vendor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    For this reason I keep Windows loaded on my laptop with Ubuntu, but one day I found I had not gone into Windows for months so I went out and got a SSD and just install Ubuntu on it and now I find I have never miss Windows since. What ever I was using Windows for I must be doing it somehow in Ubuntu. It's been over a year now since I have been Windows free and don't miss it at all. The only two OS' I use now is Ubuntu Linux and Android and my Tablet and Nook.
    I haven't used windows in over 2 years and use several Ubuntu derivatives and Puppy Linux .

Page 256 of 289 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266 ... LastLast