Page 249 of 289 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by afulldeck View Post
    The only thing I think Windows does better than Linux is OneNote combined with the Snipping tool. The equivalents in Linux just don't have the flexibility that I can find.
    Tried Zotero with the Openoffice/Libreoffice plugin? I've just done a five year degree using that. I have no idea what the snipping tool is, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Tried Zotero with the Openoffice/Libreoffice plugin? I've just done a five year degree using that. I have no idea what the snipping tool is, though.
    screenshot app
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Windows can do everything that Linux does, but Linux can't do everything that Windows does..

Beans

Smile Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I think the main problems ubuntu & windows is ...

1. It is difficult install programs in ubuntu (sorry i am not an expert!! in ubuntu) and having a limited internet connectivity I do internet activities mostly from outside even downloads... in windows it is quiet easy just download the setup.exe or install.exe and just double click on it.. the programs are installed for a normal user in ubuntu it is very difficult as there are many commands and settings have to be typed
    2. The unity interface make much difficult for an average windows user to migrate. there are many customizing programmes are avilable but nothing works very fine.

But ofcourse I like its speed and easily installing printers and other general hardwares make ubuntu A step ahead and the important one VIRUS FREE and free downloads make me in love with ubuntu...
    Last edited by lisati; September 6th, 2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Normalise fonts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bijupp View Post
    I think the main problems ubuntu & windows is ...

1. It is difficult install programs in ubuntu (sorry i am not an expert!! in ubuntu) and having a limited internet connectivity I do internet activities mostly from outside even downloads... in windows it is quiet easy just download the setup.exe or install.exe and just double click on it.. the programs are installed for a normal user in ubuntu it is very difficult as there are many commands and settings have to be typed
    2. The unity interface make much difficult for an average windows user to migrate. there are many customizing programmes are avilable but nothing works very fine.

But ofcourse I like its speed and easily installing printers and other general hardwares make ubuntu A step ahead and the important one VIRUS FREE and free downloads make me in love with ubuntu...
    Installing a program: what could be more easier then doing a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install [the program name]
    or downloading a .deb file and running it to install it. No different then running an .exe file in windows.

If you gave someone a computer with windows on it that never used it before it would look strange to them until they used it for awhile. It is the same with Ubuntu and Unity. strange at first but after you use it for awhile it becomes easier.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Windows can do everything that Linux does, but Linux can't do everything that Windows does..
    I don't believe this statement is fully true. I have used Windows since the release of Win 3.0, now I am totally windows free (Only use Linux) and I use it for everything and I found I can do everything I did in Windows now with Linux with no problems. Remember Linux comes in many many flavors and on many different devices and we are using it everyday even if you don't think you are.

Beans
    Hidden!

Some Linux programs are better than Windows (pitivi) but can't run on Windows.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SCP

In Linux it is usually built-in and I am able to set up a bookmark to access the (work's web) server and manipulate the files as if it were a local copy. This includes opening, editing and saving. Since it is through the local file manager I can also drag it to my desktop, another folder, an email, whatever.

In Windows, which does not have this built in, I have to use a 3rd party application and manipulate the files in that application. To move to a local copy I have to, in the program, navigate to where I want to save it and then drag it from server to local (or vice verse).

So technically, Windows can't (but they have an application that does for them).

Open the others partition formats

Windows requires a 3rd party application to open Ext2 & 3 (and probably 4 now) formats while many Linux distributions can out-of-the-box open Fat and NTFS.

Disclaimer

Of course Windows doesn't do much, neither does Linux. It is all of the additional applications that can be put on top of these frameworks that does all of the real work.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And also one thing I noticed in ubuntu a while back is hardware issues, crazy lockups of system without any reason..wasting time to figure out what was the issue...Once I installed windows everything was smooth.. HARDWARE SUPPORT is a major concern I guess..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And also one thing I noticed in ubuntu a while back is hardware issues, crazy lockups of system without any reason..wasting time to figure out what was the issue...Once I installed windows everything was smooth.. HARDWARE SUPPORT is a major concern I guess..
    I move away from Windows because of lockups and the blue screen of death. I really never had any problems with lockup with Linux until lately, but I think I found the problem. It was not Linux but a program running in Linux that was causing the problem. It wasn't hardware but software.

But we must remember every problem is alway on a case by case bases. Sometimes hardware sometimes software.

Page 249 of 289 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259 ... LastLast