Page 220 of 289 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230270 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    So 20% of 1 1/2% is not a significant market to be spending valuable programming hours to address.
    If you don't like that, then start writing games for Linux and see how much money you will make. You MIGHT make enough to feed your cat.

You made me laugh.... something that doesn't happen on windows forums (least ways not in my personal experiece).

On the gaming front, and with the exceptions of the MS's Xbox (which I assume runs some form of 'gaming optimised windows') what sort of OS do the big game consoles use?

I've tried a quick google, but there seems to be not much technical infor....

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by theDaveTheRave View Post
    You made me laugh.... something that doesn't happen on windows forums (least ways not in my personal experiece).

On the gaming front, and with the exceptions of the MS's Xbox (which I assume runs some form of 'gaming optimised windows') what sort of OS do the big game consoles use?

I've tried a quick google, but there seems to be not much technical infor....

David
    1 : I think Sony and Nintendo have their own thing going on.

2: Windows forums can be extremely funny(if you find stupid people saying stupid things funny).
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Windows can BSOD without applying it as a wallpaper.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One thing windows does well is takes up a lot of my time. I don't use it often, but when I do it is always way behind on updates. I boot into it, do what I have to do and get out. But when I get out, it tells me not to shut down the computer because it is installing all these updates. I have to wait and wait and wait until it is done. Then the next time I need to use it again, I need to wait and wait and wait again until it finishes all these updates.

In Ubuntu Linux it only take a few minutes to do the updates and the only time I need to do any rebooting is when I have changes to the kernel.

Windows is a pain in the you know what.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jtarin View Post
    Windows can BSOD without applying it as a wallpaper.
    Bluescreens have been mentioned many times on this thread. Thing is, Linux has its own equivalent, the kernel panic. We just don't see it as often.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

"Blue screen of death" for no reason at all, with no warning either. (Sorry about that couldn't resist it) LOL
    Linux Mint 12 (11.10 Based) Gnome 3.0 User

Beans
    Hidden!

As a base system, i feel that windows is an inferior product. Now if you start talking about third-party software, then it becomes at matter of preference and what OS the software runs on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstrike2009 View Post
    "Blue screen of death" for no reason at all, with no warning either. (Sorry about that couldn't resist it) LOL
    99.9% of the times the Blue screen of death is just an old driver that needs to be updated. GL

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Gaming is not geared to Linux users .. true .. but not the fault of the Linux programmers. Games are third party programs written by game writers. The market of games in Linux is small compared to all others. About 1 1/2% of ALL desktops/Laptops in the world run Linux. Of those users, the percentage of gamers runs just about as big as the percentage of Windows gamers .. no more than an estimated 20% (most people/businesses that use computers are NOT gamers. They do actual computing WORK on their machines.
    So 20% of 1 1/2% is not a significant market to be spending valuable programming hours to address.
    If you don't like that, then start writing games for Linux and see how much money you will make. You MIGHT make enough to feed your cat.
    This.

Your only hope is to write them in a platform agnostic way, which is itself harder than NOT doing that.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    As a base system, i feel that windows is an inferior product. Now if you start talking about third-party software, then it becomes at matter of preference and what OS the software runs on.
    True. If I could, I would run Office, Visual Studio, Photoshop and other applications on top of Linux (natively, not using Wine).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 220 of 289 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230270 ... LastLast