Page 172 of 289 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo risin View Post
    after 4 beers I am at the hospital xD

well if I look at wikipedia it still looks f*upped in this browser.
    That could be because German beer is REAL beer.. and "a beer" is served in very BIG mugs!! (and is incredibly GOOD!)

Beans

A beer in very big mugs (1l) is served in Bavaria and thats at the other end of Germany xD For bigger container of alcoholic beverages you have to go to Majorca which is nealry part of Germany too xD. there you get the local spirits out of buckets xD

I prefer 0.5 l and only one of them xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If I wanted to catch a mouse I would buy a mousetrap.
    If I wanted to catch a cold I would go to the doctor's surgery.
    If I wanted my computer to catch a virus I would install windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

*reads signature below*
    *nods head in agreement*

definitely is a troll fest

Hrrm, this argument is a based on some sort of over simplification of the universe wherein we can say one operating system is just as good or the same as another. This is a logical fallacy. Being that this argument exists via the prior assumption, anything that followed this is thereby mute.

If you wanted to know what "Windows can't do", you would have to answer these questions:

1) What drivers do hardware manufacturers write for windows that they don't for other operating systems

2) What frameworks do the world allow certain monopolies to heft upon us that are not supported for other operating systems (DirectX ? .NET framework will evolve into something similar too)

3) What programs do Software companies not make for one operating system that they don't for another

Now those are the real questions.

The OP's question can't be answered because it is based on fallacious assumptions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MS silverlight and therefore Netflix.
    That is the only reason some of my clients have dualboot.
    I can't run Jeppesen (aviation) products.
    That is the only reason that I run dualboot.
    PLEASE Don't leave those trying to help you hanging.
    Report Success, Failure or Giving up.
    MARK as SOLVED if it is.
    Help others help you by reading THIS THREAD first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd View Post
    MS silverlight and therefore Netflix.
    That is the only reason some of my clients have dualboot.
    I can't run Jeppesen (aviation) products.
    That is the only reason that I run dualboot.
    Spend a hundred bucks US and get a Sony Blu-Ray player with Wi-Fi and hook it directly to the TV. Has NetFlix (among a LOT of other links) built in .. click and play. (I have one and LOVE it!!)

Can't help you on the Jeppesen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Spend a hundred bucks US and get a Sony Blu-Ray player with Wi-Fi and hook it directly to the TV. Has NetFlix (among a LOT of other links) built in .. click and play. (I have one and LOVE it!!)

Can't help you on the Jeppesen.
    No problem watching netflix at home (via Wii). The MS Silverlight exclusion of any Linux prevents using the account to watch on the laptop while traveling.
    PLEASE Don't leave those trying to help you hanging.
    Report Success, Failure or Giving up.
    MARK as SOLVED if it is.
    Help others help you by reading THIS THREAD first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I bought a cylinder of blank DVDs which included a "free" movie download. Of course, the movies are encrypted and can only be played in Windoze.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

*stabs thread*

thread dies

*cheers*

Beans

Thumbs down Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

I'm sure this is going to p*ss off lots of hardcore *nix fans...but I am just being honest. I'm a casual user. Sorry, I don't have time to learn how to write programming. What I mean by that is if I can't find the answer to my question in one Google search, I *might* have time to search the forums. Go ahead and call me lazy, but the reality is I am merely an enthusiast of Ubuntu (I really wish the stuff I'm about to list was not true)... I LOVE the *idea* of Ubuntu but the fact remains that Windows has the following advantages over any *nix distro I've ever used:

- The user account control obnoxiousness can be easily disabled in Win 7, and I've yet to suffer any kind of negative effect from completely disabling it. If *nix is so much more secure, why in the crap is there not a similar feature? Give me the ability to grant root privileges to a user, so that I never have to enter my password after having entered it to login.

-It's incredibly easy to install and/or uninstall programs in Windows. I have had problems and frustrations with Windows, but I have not had issues with installing or uninstalling software (sans user error or damaged install mediums).

-Windows can run a hell of a lot of programs that Linux simply can't, and again... I'm sorry for bashing *nix, but WINE? It SUCKS about 90% of the time. Yes, I do know that for the most part this is due to a lack of development for *nix versions of programs... but frankly, as a person that *needs* certain software (or certain KINDS of software) to do my job... it's just not there.

- Media Center in Windows 7. Integrated Netflix. That's enough said, but I'm not done whining yet. I could honestly give two **its about what Silverlight is or how intrusive it is or any of the other pseudo-political, "big"-picture reasons I've heard why people "hate Silverlight". You know what? It works. And not only does it work, the streaming videos from Netflix have amazing quality even over a relatively lame internet connection. As far as I'm concerned it's a great innovation in streaming media technology.

- Windows 7 is a far better OS out of the box for an HTPC - again, because IT JUST WORKS. I can't tell you how many days I wasted with Mythbuntu and Mythdora, simply trying to get it to recognize my VERY NEW tuner card and, nevermind how long it took it to actually make the thing work. Installed Win 7 on the same machine and guess what? It worked right when basic setup was finished.

- Maybe the biggest and most important thing Windows can do that *nix can't is that it simply works out of the box.

So those are my biggest problems with *nix so far. As I said, I really, truly do love the *idea* of Ubuntu but for so many, many things, it just does not work without advanced personal knowledge of the OS. MOST of the above can also be said about OSX.

Anyway, that's my 100% honest opinion. Let the geek flames roll in...

Page 172 of 289 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast