Page 171 of 289 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

It can recognize all 8 GB of my Sansa Fuze, whereas Ubuntu will only see just under 3 GB. I paid good money for that too.....I WANT my 8 GB >: (
    Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN, 120GB SATA (Windows 7/Ubuntu Precise dual boot), 2GB DIMM DRAM, SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wheels666 View Post
    and the things about linux users that freak me out:

1. the constant referal to linux programmes as "free" as if all windows users pay for programmes - they are available free on sites like warezbb, so cost is not an issue - and paying for windows programmes is a bit of an american thing i think, many people pirate them (funding bill gates eugenics agenda is not cool)

2. the obsession with using command line - i am used to doing everything using a mouse, and preferably don't want to use the keyboard at all - using command line is not "a shortcut" - it's confusing geek speak - i'm looking for instructions like "edit/preferences/general" - ie menus
    1. When people talk about "free" in the linux world they tend to (mostly) mean free as in open-source, the code is free and open for anyone to modify or improve and free from patents etc.
    Though having said that, I have seen plenty of mailing list arguments over which "free" licenses things should use etc and which license or more "free" than the other.

2. I wouldn't say it's an obsession as such. When you get to a certain level of familiarity with linux it is genuinely quicker and easier to use the command-line for many things.
    I can't think of anything I *need* to use a terminal for but I do use it a hell of a lot.
    It is also sometimes much easier on forums to simply paste terminal code to fix something than explain how to do it graphically.
    Although I think it is bad practice I suppose because it encourages people to blindly copy and paste code that the user doesn't understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi. I'm new user, but got something from another side.
    On my University I try to get in touch with robotics department. They told me straight, if I want to do any robot simulation on high level I have to switch to linux.
    On windows programs like YARP or iCub does not work.

So maybe question what Linux can do as Windows can't

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Certainly, that's the question we've been asking and answering all along. There are plenty of things you can do in Linux you can't do in Windows. The whole reason I think this thread started was to be open minded and see that it works both ways, since we tend to focus on what Linux can do rather than what it can't.

However, what it can't do is very little, unless you take into account a ton of tiny things that the majority of people don't run into.

Games and Adobe are the big ones that tend to get in the way for people, Adobe much more so.

So yeah, what can't you do in Linux, really? I mean, from a purely objective standpoint, you can do graphic design, web design, development, etc. etc. just as well or better than in Windows. It's just that it's not the way people are used to or in the formats people in the business world are forced to use (Adobe).

I think there are two big areas we can focus on, outside of just improving and adding format compatibility to what we've already got. That's video editing and CAD. They both exist on Linux, but from what I heard (and from what I've done with them), they don't seem to be quite as mature as their commercial counterparts on Windows.

That said, we're pretty close. So yeah, you're right tomasz74, it certainly goes both ways. However, the main things keeping most businesses away from Linux is Adobe and CAD deficiency.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If we in chat.
    I use trading platform for fx currencies MetaTreader. Unfortunately it is not supported in linux, so I run it in vmware player and try samba. As it starts to work, I wonder if run windows virtually under Linux is really worst than dual booting.
    Dual boot simply doesn't work as I need different software at the same time. So far is good, so if virtual machine works, what can be a problem to run CAD, photoshop or any other?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn View Post
    I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.
    Yeah, gaming is about the only reason I still have a Windows XP install on my GRUB menu.

Aside from games, nearly any software which only exists in a Windows version can be run on a virtualized Windows machine. An example is the Scansoft Paperport software supplied with my laser printer.

Does Photoshop work well on a virtualized machine? I don't own any reasonably current version of Photoshop, so I can't test it myself.
    Samsung Series 3 15.6" notebook (NP300-V5A-A02US)

Beans

Get updates in a reasonable occasions, this includes drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, to be fair, outside of Adobe or Final Cut, Linux provides a lot better driver support and easier/more up-to-date integration with Windows programs than OS X, with Wine versions being more recent.

However, there will always be hardware vendors who focus differently on their target OS. Needless to say, we've come a very long way. However, I have to agree that, although we have LTS releases and 6-month releases, having a rolling release or one stable release everything is released for tends to be a pretty good model for Windows. NVIDIA in particular has had a few small issues with releasing at the right time for Ubuntu.

But seriously, if all you look at is what Ubuntu can't do, you'll miss out on its true capabilities. Dual-boot if you have to, but if you're interested in technology, open source has a crap load to offer at no cost. Very cost-effective.

Hopefully Wine will soon be good enough that you don't need to pay for that Windows license, either.

Beans

Ok I got one here:

Windows can get 3 different external monitors (hdtv's in fact) to display the correct resolution straight off.
    Something I have been unable to achieve on any linux distro with any of the externals.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNT1 View Post
    I have that sometimes... Usually around the fourth beer or so...
    after 4 beers I am at the hospital xD

well if I look at wikipedia it still looks f*upped in this browser.

Page 171 of 289 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast