Page 161 of 289 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Now that OpenOffice 3.2 is out, I can add "open PowerPoint files without crashing every five minutes" to the list of what Windows can to that Linux can't.

The other one on my list currently is...
    WYSIWYG bibiliography and citation management with seamless export/import to a Word compatible format.

Everything else I can live without, but I don't have a choice about office compatibility. It's humiliating to have to borrow a Windows computer every time my work requires me to read or edit Microsoft Office documents. The ten varieties of skinnable, scriptable media players are all well and good but until we have some apps that can reliably interoperate with the other 90% of the world, Linux is just not going to be ready for the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by f1r3br4nd View Post
    Now that OpenOffice 3.2 is out, I can add "open PowerPoint files without crashing every five minutes" to the list of what Windows can to that Linux can't.

The other one on my list currently is...
    WYSIWYG bibiliography and citation management with seamless export/import to a Word compatible format.

Everything else I can live without, but I don't have a choice about office compatibility. It's humiliating to have to borrow a Windows computer every time my work requires me to read or edit Microsoft Office documents. The ten varieties of skinnable, scriptable media players are all well and good but until we have some apps that can reliably interoperate with the other 90% of the world, Linux is just not going to be ready for the desktop.
    Open Office is NOT Linux, it is not Ubuntu, it is OPEN OFFICE, a third party program, and it comes out of Oracle among others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

Read all about it there.

Complaints on the Ubuntu forum are not forwarded to the developers of OO.

Beans

Open Office is NOT Linux, it is not Ubuntu, it is OPEN OFFICE, a third party program, and it comes out of Oracle among others.
    Lol. I know what Open Office is. The original question of this thread is "What can Windows do that Linux can't?" and my reply is essentially: "run an office suite that can reliably read and write the file formats in use by the overwhelming majority of the installed base of office applications".

I'm sure it's Microsoft's fault for being a monopolist and using obfuscated file formats. But that feeling of righteous anger still doesn't help me send a Power Point document to my co-workers.

You're basically right, though, this is not a problem the Ubuntu team can necessarily solve. But if the motivation behind the original question is to understand why there aren't more people switching to Linux, then the answer might be that it's no longer about Linux per se and hasn't been for a while. For many people it's about the availability of certain categories of applications to run on it.

PS: For what it's worth, my snark was misplaced. Turns out that OpenOffice 3.2 runs decently. The problem was with the KDE "integration" package. As soon as I blew that away, it stopped crashing, so my list is back down to just one thing: reference management software that uses the .DOC or .RTF format.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by alcohol52 View Post
    If you remove Ndiswrapper, Wine(cedega and crossover) and virtualbox (they are using windows), I think Linux cannot indulge any average user longer than a day. Yes it can run in headless computers for years and run in supercomputers and run hollywood renderfarm. For an average user for day to day computing, it is better to ask what can LINUX do without missing windows?
    I have never seen any computer running linux 100%. They either dual boot or use virtualisation software but I have seen a hell lot of computers without a trace of linux. That pretty much explain windows can do a heck lot that linux cant with increased efficiency. (I am not a Windows fanboy any way)
    I will only use windows because some company has some proprietary software that is only written for that OS and these are very extreme cases. My computer has run linux and ONLY linux for the past 2 years and running. I may have used wine to run a few games, so I guess to be fair, I would say my computer uses linux 99.5% of the time.

As for your "I do not think Linux can indulge an average user for longer than a day" comment:

I use linux everyday for everything. I buy mp3s from amazon, surf the web and use facebook, yahoo, gmail, fastmail, photobucket, pandora, youtube, kotaku, engadget, joystiq, gametrailers, and post to them regularly. I use my webcam and aMSN to talk to my sons and their mother who are in Japan (and yes, even typing in Japanese!). I keep to-do lists, contacts, schedules and all of everyday events. I order pizza, order electronics, sent flowers for Mother's Day both here in the U.S. and overseas using paypal and various other services without issue. I watch various t.v. shows on hulu and other websites.

I'm more of an old-school gamer, where I prefer the quality of a game over it's graphics and etc. There are literally over a thousand free games for linux. Google "42 best games on linux" and you'll see what I mean. FlightGear is absolutely incredible! Also check out the FPS and MMORPGs, as well! Also, I don't think it's fair to say that using Wine means using windows, because Wine was created so that you wouldn't HAVE to use Windows.

But at the end of all this, there is one thing that Linux can and does do that Windows does not. Grow!

Beans

GAMING.
    And running foobar2000 properly. I don't think I'll ever be able to find an Ubuntu replacement.
    It would be nice to have Microsoft Office fully working with Wine... but aside from that, not else that I know of. I think most people like to use Windows because of it's GUI (no terminal to deal with) and because of the software compatibility, especially gaming.

EDIT: Has anyone overclocked their system and then stress tested/monitored it with Linux?

Beans

Zune support isnt' there on any distro of Ubuntu I have used yet (since Dapper)

other items as noted (video especially annoying for me)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
    GAMING.
    And running foobar2000 properly. I don't think I'll ever be able to find an Ubuntu replacement.
    It would be nice to have Microsoft Office fully working with Wine... but aside from that, not else that I know of. I think most people like to use Windows because of it's GUI (no terminal to deal with) and because of the software compatibility, especially gaming.

EDIT: Has anyone overclocked their system and then stress tested/monitored it with Linux?
    Try CPUID.com...you can benchmark you're hardware there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

the only thing that i am worried about that windows can do that linux can't is my kodak 5500 all in one printer doesn't have drivers for linux. they have drivers for windows and if it wasn't for that, i would leave windows all together but this is a really great printer so i don't want to throw it out just to get rid of windows. if linux ever releases drivers for my printer then i will leave windows all together but that is up to kodak if they want to release the source code for the drivers and i doubt that will ever happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The lack of games hasn't sales of Mac computers either they are getting more mainstream all the time dispite the price tag!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was editing a spreadsheet at work in ms office and wanted to print it about 10 pages, office said it couldn't find anything to print. I tried several things to sort it out in office but couldn't! my solution was my little netbook with 10.04, opened the file in open office setup the network printer and bobs your uncle, printed fine!!

Page 161 of 289 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast