Page 158 of 289 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by richf View Post
    Thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth...

I've been trying Ubuntu since Hardy heron, always dual-booting with Vista and now 7. I have tried and tried to use it exclusively, but always go back to Windows. There are a lot of programs that I use that just won't work on ubuntu such as TC2007, TDAmeritrade Command Center, freestockcharts.com, etc. Almost all are stock charting programs and I haven't found anything close in Linux.

And, at least on my machine; (HP dual-core, 3gb)there doesn't seem to be much of a speed difference; Ubuntu boots about 8-10 sec. faster. Firefox still takes about 10 sec to start.

If Silverlight(Moonlight) would work in Firefox, I'd be on Ubuntu all the time. None of these programs will work in WINE. And Crossover is $40; I paid $49 for the Win 7 upgrade. So, even with all it's bugs and bloat-ware and BSOD, it's Win7; at least for now.
    i can only agree with you 200 percent... i dual boot also (for other software)
    as i mentioned linux will not cover all, specially that which is called payware....
    that said when it comes to opensource and free progs windows sucks badly...(well mostly)
    so for me linux is not an alternative it is a lifestyle if you wish,, free and can do most of what i want, note i said most..
    is a community effort which is doing not well but great!!
    the olny alternative is to get payed progs for linux with special uses which sort of demeans the opensource spirit.. so i will save money using linux ubu and mint and pay if i must to do something specific with windows
    but in the forefront of my mind is the concept of linux and its thousands of uses FOR FREE....
    windows will never ever get there ever ever ever,, hell look at what they have done to their vista users they got screwed period..
    and look at the price of win7 .. way too much considering it will be used by almost the whole world.. 20 euro would be about right for such a monopoly os...
    i actually like win7 but i rather use my linux most of the time!!!!
    and if you can do contribute it is worth it....
    Last edited by georgegerm; March 22nd, 2010 at 03:50 AM.
    jimi hendrix
    q6600, gforce 8800gt, 4096 ocz reaperX, asus pn532-e, tagan tg600 super rock, ubuntu 10.10, mint 9, and win 7 ultimate
    to be nice is an issue to me

Beans

In response to the netflix users. You could pickup a roku box and stream it directly to your tv. I could care less about watching on the computer but can understand if some of you need it.

Beans

What's superior? how about the scroll function of my mouse working? lol

I honestly just miss games and some specific apps like PS. That's about it. when I fee like playing games, i'll dual boot to windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by richf View Post
    Thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth...

I've been trying Ubuntu since Hardy heron, always dual-booting with Vista and now 7. I have tried and tried to use it exclusively, but always go back to Windows. There are a lot of programs that I use that just won't work on ubuntu such as TC2007, TDAmeritrade Command Center, freestockcharts.com, etc. Almost all are stock charting programs and I haven't found anything close in Linux.

And, at least on my machine; (HP dual-core, 3gb)there doesn't seem to be much of a speed difference; Ubuntu boots about 8-10 sec. faster. Firefox still takes about 10 sec to start.

If Silverlight(Moonlight) would work in Firefox, I'd be on Ubuntu all the time. None of these programs will work in WINE. And Crossover is $40; I paid $49 for the Win 7 upgrade. So, even with all it's bugs and bloat-ware and BSOD, it's Win7; at least for now.
    Vendor Lock-in. It's beautiful thing.
    You know everybody is complaining about Linux not doing this or running that windows program, blah, blah, blah.....
    If you switched to Mac you would have to deal with the same crap. You're lucky if they make a mac version of the software you're running on windows now, yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that.
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans

I had used Linux and currently using Windows 7. There are much differnce in using Windows 7 than Linux. By using Linux i can say that Linux can run faster on older hardware than Windows can and the major advantages of using Linux is It can help the end user to feel more secure in the knowledge that the majority of internet viruses,worms, trojans, and exploits are aimed at Windows platform. Linux can stand on one hand for hours, Windows can't? But in windows we can run our required softwares which we can not run on Linux. So windows is required to run Softwares like mp3 softwares, images, vedios, etc. I had my Linux for a week and I didn't get a single game running smootly. So I think that gaming in Linux is definitely not as mature as in Windows.
    Last edited by augustsalbert; March 22nd, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Screwing up your 64-bit PC,when a file is corrupt due to a AV.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Easily detect a webcam. And screw you over when you want to do anything.

Beans

Linux has a 90% equivalent work around for 98% of applications.
    That 2% of lacking functionality, IMHO, is found in:

1. Gaming (As mentionioned)
    2. Point & Click install (for non-repo software)
    3. Business Banking
    online cert generation requires MS crypto libs
    4. Business Payroll
    a. online cert generation requires MS crypto libs
    b. Requires an IBM AFP viewer (total crap)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by riksaga View Post
    Linux has a 90% equivalent work around for 98% of applications.
    That 2% of lacking functionality, IMHO, is found in:

1. Gaming (As mentionioned)
    2. Point & Click install (for non-repo software)
    3. Business Banking
    online cert generation requires MS crypto libs
    4. Business Payroll
    a. online cert generation requires MS crypto libs
    b. Requires an IBM AFP viewer (total crap)
    Ok,from point 3 onwards i don't know what the hell you are on about .
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quoting: "There are a lot of programs that I use that just won't work on ubuntu such as TC2007, TDAmeritrade Command Center, freestockcharts.com, etc. Almost all are stock charting programs and I haven't found anything close in Linux."

That is the "spark", which initiates one to create that particular needed piece of software... It's how this Linux-"beast" grows, and breathes fire, and lives... This spark of fulfilling need is why there's "Linux"...
    You start by searching for people working on it... Then you search for people who can write what you require.. and you hire an Ubuntu-team to make Ubuntu better for you and all those you love in your circles...
    Linux can do everything... If you want something new.. then make a reasonable offer from one of your circles...

Page 158 of 289 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast