Page 149 of 289 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by aeon.flux View Post
    Photoshop sucks, its not better than gimp, i was using it at school and work for 3 years and after month with gimp i'm NOT missing it and hate it again.
    HAHAAHAHA thanks for the laugh man.

Anyone knows Photoshop is better than gimp.

I myself am a gimp user and can admit photoshop is better.

Why can't you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nodorizzi View Post
    print to my lexmark printer.
    Lexmark is practically a Windows exclusive printer...and at work windows does not print to it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch6000 View Post
    HAHAAHAHA thanks for the laugh man.

Anyone knows Photoshop is better than gimp.

I myself am a gimp user and can admit photoshop is better.

Why can't you?
    The things that are important either can now be, or in the future will be able to run under WINE and better by the way, than in Windows. I know because I am running Microsoft Office on Karmic for school, and even Internet Explorer. I also just downloaded for free a game called Chromium which is a kick butt shoot em up game like I sometimes like to play. Did I mention EXT4, 64Freakin' Bit and full disk encryption, including swap! and NO BSOD! Oh yeah, Photoshop is now available for free under Wine Doors.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by MrNatewood View Post
    What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Properly run software written for windows

Also, Task manager is a lot better at taking over the system and killing apps when system is overloaded than gnome-system-monitor.

I hear windows is better at power management for laptops, don't know if true.
    Um, yeah, I just selected this little kill app button and put it at the bottom of my GNOME desktop. I just click it and place the cursor on the window of the misbehaving app and voila! the app is gone! Try that little three finger trick in Windows when the freaking task manager just sits there doin' nothing!

Did I mention full disk encryption, EXT4, 64 Freakin' Bit, and No BSOD!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jjjc_93 View Post
    The biggest thing for me is gaming. Infact this and standard 3D benchmarking is the only reason I use windows. I also miss photoshop, but it is just a matter of me getting used to gimp.
    I don't understand why people expect a NON modified pc to run games well. Why not just use a game console like Playstation 3 for games? Oh and by the way Playstation runs Yellowdog Linux. Eventually most if not all games will be able to run on Linux...try WINE and Plays On Linux to install many recent popular games. Did I mention EXT4, 64 Freakin' Bit, Full disk encryption, even swap and NO BSOD!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by -Ender View Post
    For right now, there are two pieces of software that still need Windows:

Lightwave3D - this actually runs fine in WINE, it's just that the Sentinel SuperPro dongle doesn't work which leaves me stranded in demo mode. Lightwave Core will have a Linux version, so this is a problem that will be remedied at some point.

Silo3D - my modelling application of choice. It runs OK in WINE (licenses are properly detected, so no problem there), but there are a number of large graphical glitches occurring throughout both the 1.4 and 2.x releases. They are also working on Linux versions, so again, this is a problem that will get taken care of.

For video editing I've seen a number of tools available, but I've yet to give any of them a spin.
    I just read an article in a Feb. linux magazine about how all the hollywood studios have switched to Linux computer for the bleeding edge blockbuster films being produced. They have even dumped the Macs and only give the Winbooks to the accountants. Linux has shown to powerful enough for the major hollywood studios so maybe you might want to look into what they are doing. I saw these huge mixer boards and video editing consoles solely devoted to Linux....I can't recall the name of the magazine but it should be on the newstands now. Maybe LinuxFormat?

Beans

Talking Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Afroman10496 View Post
    Well Linux just does everything better than Window$
    Well, I totally agree with you! And about your information: I am 52 so use my information at YOUR own risk!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by digitijit View Post
    Well, apparently Ubuntu 9.10 linux can NOT do WPA wireless easily or reliably!
    At least ******* can do that.

I installed Karmic 64bit on my laptop, I downloaded the driver for my wifi and used Netconfig to connect to my Linksys router which asked for my WPA key and it connects automatically! It also connects flawlessly to the router at my job with the router key. I am not sure what you are talking about, but I am not sure you do either. And did I mention 64 Freakin' bit, EXT4, Full Disk Encryption including swap space, MS Office and Internet Explorer and other stuff running under WINE! All Free and NO BSOD! Besides, the internet IS Linux/Unix not *******.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    Yeah, it was directed at me and your disclaimer doesn't absolve you.

Let me ask you this:

If someone built the FINEST AUTOMOBILE ON THE PLANET...but they built it 14 feet wide, making it essentially useless...

Would it still be the finest automobile on the planet?

A tool...like an OS...is defined by its usefulness...not its intrinsic elegance as is often espoused here.

Clean code? Good memory management? SO what...if it doesn't do what I want it to...I don't care.
    1. No one is forcing you to use Linux.
    2. Those that use Linux are intelligent, resourceful and freakin' happy.
    3. If you like your pushBUTTon OS then by all means you are getting what you
    like/deserve.
    4. Your small 'arguments' are like a three year old blabbing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monsterstack View Post
    Say for instance you would like to install 500 applications at the same time. That might take you a while on Windows. You'd have to go to google, find the programmes, find the download pages and such; or alternatively go to some store and spend spend spend. It would probably take a considerable amount of time, possibly days, to find and install it all. Not to mention multiple reboots. How might one do the same in Linux?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install akregator amarok amarok-common apport-qt ark cdrdao dolphin dontzap dragonplayer exiv2 foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde gnupg-agent gtk2-engines-qtcurve gwenview hpijs-ppds ijsgutenprint install-package jockey-kde k3b k3b-data kaddressbook kamera kate kde-icons-oxygen kde-printer-applet kde-style-qtcurve kde-window-manager kde-zeroconf kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdebluetooth kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kresources kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs5 kdeplasma-addons kdeplasma-addons-data kdesudo kdm kfind khelpcenter4 klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool knotes konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konqueror-plugin-searchbar konsole kontact kopete korganizer kpackagekit krdc krfb ksnapshot ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktimetracker ktorrent ktorrent-data kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-qt libakonadiprivate1 libao2 libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libboost-program-options1.35.0 libclucene0ldbl libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libeet1 libexiv2-5 libflac++6 libgeoip1 libk3b3 libk3b3-extracodecs libkcddb4 libkdecorations4 libkdepim4 libkexiv2-7 libkholidays4 libkipi6 libkleo4 libkonq5 libkonq5-templates libkpgp4 libksieve4 libkwineffects1 libloudmouth1-0 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmimelib4 libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libmsn0.1 libmysqlclient15off libokularcore1 libpackagekit-glib11 libpackagekit-qt11 libphonon4 libplasma3 libpoppler-qt4-3 libpq5 libqca2 libqca2-plugin-ossl libqedje0 libqimageblitz4 libqt3-mt libqt4-assistant libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libqzion0 libraptor1 librasqal1 librdf0 libsearchclient0 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libstrigiqtdbusclient0 libvncserver0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x libzip1 mysql-common okular okular-extra-backends openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal oxygen-cursor-theme packagekit packagekit-backend-apt phonon phonon-backend-xine pinentry-gtk2 pinentry-qt4 plasma-widget-network-manager plasma-widget-quickaccess python-dev python-kde4 python-packagekit python-plasma python-qt4 python-qt4-common python-qt4-dbus python-sip4 python2.6-dev qt4-qtconfig quassel quassel-data raptor-utils redland-utils software-properties-kde soprano-daemon speedcrunch strigi-client strigi-daemon system-config-printer-kde systemsettings ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-extra update-manager-kde update-notifier-kde
    Is that something Linux can do better than Windows?
    Exactly! And do it without a reboot after each friggin app install!

Page 149 of 289 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast