Page 121 of 289 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2881

Thread: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Katalog View Post
    I know it's been said before, but with the amount of games out there for consoles these days I still don't uderstand why this is still such a big deal. I haven't been a big PC gamer in years and own a PS3 and a 360, so I guess I just don't see what it is that the younguns are missing out on since I don't keep up with it any more.
    uhhhh...
    i wish there was an easy comment here... think NOT,, but i shall give it a try..
    not all the young ones (or the old ones like me) have a console or 2 for games !!!
    some are comfortable playing on their pc and want to have to have it that way,, an all in one pack...
    do not ask me why i cannot tell ya but i am one of them, and i can afford a console but do not want one...
    as far as i know the pc games industry is doing quite well so i guess i am not alone...
    to offer the console option is nice but not a complete solution since so many gamers use their pcs with windblow$ on it and will keep it that way (human nature maybe, the fear of changing to a console,, money ???...
    personally i dual boot to deal with this....
    but a console is indeed an option, for some
    Last edited by georgegerm; August 12th, 2009 at 05:19 AM.
    jimi hendrix
    q6600, gforce 8800gt, 4096 ocz reaperX, asus pn532-e, tagan tg600 super rock, ubuntu 10.10, mint 9, and win 7 ultimate
    to be nice is an issue to me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Um sadly... most high-end video games, and there is no way to view Shockwave apps without WINE.

Beans

I didn't mind Windows 2000, I tolerated XP......then along came Vista.

Vista may not be as bad an operating system as portrayed in the popular press, but it is hardly a stellar product.

What can Windows do that Linux can't? An interesting question.

I never charged people to fix their Windows machines (mostly XP), I just tried to sort out their problems the best I could with the tools I had to hand. Most people seemed satisfied, I just never gave it much thought beyond this.

What was a trickle turned into a torrent around the time Vista was released. I was overwhelmed, I simply did not want to know.

These days you have to pay me to interact with Windows. A few beers, a good meal, a night with your rather attractive daughter/niece/second cousin removed etc.

I'm posting from Fedora Core 11, but I have two Ubuntu based machines for the record.

This is what Windows can do and Linux can't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Run a Broadcom 4306 rev 3

I'm extremely disappointed in the terrible wireless support in Karmic, so far at least.
    bcmwl-kernel-source has done nothing for me.

Beans

Run Flash video in fullscreen at optimal performance.

It's why my netbook is WinXP based, I wanted an Ubuntu netbook, but Flash performance is crucial to browsing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fjosh View Post
    What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Run a Broadcom 4306 rev 3

I'm extremely disappointed in the terrible wireless support in Karmic, so far at least.
    bcmwl-kernel-source has done nothing for me.
    Have you complained to Broadcom about this?
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

when 1 program is freezing,others are also freezing.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thumbs up Re: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Windows installs quite ok. And eventhough it takes a long time, it's up and running without crusial bugs, for allmost all my experiences.

I have been using MS since 3.1, following Ubuntu - wanted to convert - for the last 2 yrs.
    For my concern, i turned to Ubuntu when they got support for my Option usb 3g modem. My only connection to the net. But I had a long time searching forums, trying lots of things to get my intel 3945 wifi, to get started at boot.

his is a shame and i think Ubuntu would gain a lot of new users if these issues were solved. Ubuntu is now my only OS, and i like it a lot, but pc users today uses them FOR THE NET. We are addicted to it.

People like my mom, aunt, and i guess a lot like them, have issues with MS, but are happy to get their mail and browse. Then it should be a #1 concern for Ubuntu to get these connections working.

THEN i am sure Ubuntu would get a lot of converts.

Have i nice day!
    Whats next?

dell XPS m1530, 4G ram, nvidia 8600m gs
    ubuntu mostly trying the latest release

Beans
    Hidden!

The only thing that I could do with XP that I can not do with Ubuntu is run iTunes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Caplan View Post
    The only thing that I could do with XP that I can not do with Ubuntu is run iTunes.
    Install amarok on Ubuntu. Amarok 1.4 OWNS all media players (in most people's opinions), definitely including iTunes. If you want a less-bloated itunes clone for Linux, just use rhythmbox (comes installed with Ubuntu). I'm not too sure I like amarok 2 though. At first I hated it but trust me if you persevere with it and learn the user interface then amarok 2 isn't that bad. It's just unconventional.

That being said I definitely prefer Amarok 1.4 (there's tutorials for getting it running on Ubuntu 9.04) - it definitely owns all other music players on every platform.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Page 121 of 289 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast