Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Browsers

Beans

Web Browsers

Which browser, Firefox or Chrome, do you use on Ubuntu and why? What advantages and disadvantages do you think one has over the other? Do you use both browsers for certain features? I'm not looking to choose one browser over another per se. But browsers behave and interpret things differently from one another and I would like to understand their nuances under Linux. I've been a Windows user all my life, so with my limited experience with an old iBook G4 PPA (Mac OS X 10.5.8) and recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my HP G7-2325DX, I've observed that these web browsers behave differently, especially with Flash, Java, and HTML 5. So because of my inexperience with Linux, I don't want to mash lines in the Terminal, installing this, that, and the other, to get my browser(s) to function properly. I would like some pointers and advice as to what commands work for which browsers to watch Netflix, YouTube, and online flash games, etc. Lastly, does anyone use Tor? If so, can it be configured to run on both Firefox and Chrome? Thanks for your time and input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Web Browsers

Perhaps you should indicate specific problems you are having . I don't have any experience with flash games, but Firefox suits my needs for video except when MS Silvelight is required which rarely happens anymore . Browsers behave differently with different hardware so only comparisons with the same or similar hardware would be of value. I use an HTML 5 un-block extension for Youtube and the change from flash to HTML 5 continues to be a slow one.

http://liliputing.com/2014/09/native...ng-ubuntu.html
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Perhaps you should indicate specific problems you are having .http://liliputing.com/2014/09/native...ng-ubuntu.html
    I've done the following with FireFox closed:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-multi 
    sudo pipelight-plugin --update 
    sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight
    Afterward when I log into Netflix via FF, I am unable to stream movies.
    Last edited by QIII; 2 Days Ago at 09:29 PM. Reason: added code tags

Beans

Curious. My response above didn't format properly. It all came out on a single line. Why?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

To get Netflix to work, you will need to add a User Agent Switcher to Firefox to get Netflix to think you are running Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    To get Netflix to work, you will need to add a User Agent Switcher to Firefox to get Netflix to think you are running Windows.
    Will do!

Beans

Opera

Because it has a wonderful speed dial and also it is an email client. It is a one stop shop.

Beans

I had no luck with User Agent Switcher, but User Agent Overrider did. But now Netflix works properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use FF with everything but Netflix. ( but having done it a few years )

I use Google Chrome with this for Netflix.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

I like chrome browser. Because it has good opportunity to add any extension. So for this reason i did like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast