Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new GUI installer from ati

Beans

Re: The new GUI installer from ati

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Damo
    ok i installed the drivers

now whats that flgrx command i run?
    fglrxconfig this gives me alot of crap i dont know about.... what should i do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Damo
    fglrxconfig this gives me alot of crap i dont know about.... what should i do?
    Hi mate!

Sorry, been getting lost in all the posts and missed the question you asked about fglrx and ati graphicsdrivers.

the xorg.conf file stores all your settings for the video display and monitor configuration (as well as mouse / keyboard settings). Think of it as what you'd get if you didnt have the nice display menus on windows - they are frontend gui's for a config file somewhere in windows!

Unfortunately, in linux you have to edit this file manually but thats linux for ya!

So make sure you back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf before doing anything. Cause if you screw up this file you won't get the window manager (gnome in ubuntu) up and only had a dos-like terminal to do stuff with.

With regard fglrxconfig, this is ati's solution to "help" you configure xorg.conf to enable 3d acceleration. Its fairly straightforward, you can normally just use the default suggested options, but you will need to refer to your monitor manual to find out the horizontal and vertical refresh of your screen. This would be something done automatically in windows.

Ultimately, play around with the settings. If everything goes ****-up, delete your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replace it with the BACKUP you made, and restart the system

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holr
    Hi mate!

Sorry, been getting lost in all the posts and missed the question you asked about fglrx and ati graphicsdrivers.

the xorg.conf file stores all your settings for the video display and monitor configuration (as well as mouse / keyboard settings). Think of it as what you'd get if you didnt have the nice display menus on windows - they are frontend gui's for a config file somewhere in windows!

Unfortunately, in linux you have to edit this file manually but thats linux for ya!

So make sure you back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf before doing anything. Cause if you screw up this file you won't get the window manager (gnome in ubuntu) up and only had a dos-like terminal to do stuff with.

With regard fglrxconfig, this is ati's solution to "help" you configure xorg.conf to enable 3d acceleration. Its fairly straightforward, you can normally just use the default suggested options, but you will need to refer to your monitor manual to find out the horizontal and vertical refresh of your screen. This would be something done automatically in windows.

Ultimately, play around with the settings. If everything goes ****-up, delete your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replace it with the BACKUP you made, and restart the system
    "but you will need to refer to your monitor manual to find out the horizontal and vertical refresh of your screen."

lol problem is my monitor didnt come with a manuel

Beans

"but you will need to refer to your monitor manual to find out the horizontal and vertical refresh of your screen."

lol problem is my monitor didnt come with a manuel
    You don't really need to know it. Just use some standard settings, like the ones you can find in your original xorg.conf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12