Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Core 5 Goals

Beans

Fedora Core 5 Goals

I was just looking at the Fedora Core 5 goals, and there is some neat stuff in there. I know that it seems to early to talk about life after Breezy (as its feature set is already laid out) but some of this I would like to see in Ubuntu in the future. Next Spring, maybe we can have some stuff like this:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Future

CD image generating tool

A tool to create CD images from a list of wanted packages would be very nice. The tool would need to generate directory images with all the desired packages, plus their dependencies.
    Would be good for dial up people.

Free Java related enhancements

The proposal is to integrate gcjwebplugin (Java applets will work out of the box) , Azureus (Bittorrent client) and RSSOwl (RSS feed aggregator), GCC 4.1 (for better Java funtionality)
    I'm a big fan of open java.

Sound-Server

From the whishlist: Better sound server replacement - no arts, or esd, something else. Alan Cox had some ideas about synchronization that he considered essential for a new sound server. Have to dig in the archives to find what he thought of these choices specifically.
    (actually I think Breezy has that last one in mind too)

GUI Package manager and Updater

GUI package manager (replacing system-config-packages) that avoids the synaptic like long list of packages with a better task oriented system
    Our update manager will probably morph into that one day.

Some neat stuff. Out of everything, I hope Ubuntu gets the free java and the sound hammered out first. From every indication, the Java will come when its ready:

http://daniel-robitaille.blogspot.com/
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Fedora Core 5 Goals

fedora is really awesome... even though it's not DEB based...

if it was, it would be first on Distrowatch...

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/
    Quote Originally Posted by benplaut
    fedora is really awesome... even though it's not DEB based...

if it was, it would be first on Distrowatch...
    Heh. And the RH sales team would have alot of explaining to do.
    Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.
    You only need a heart of grace. A soul generated by love.

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Help A Child Today

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Fedora works for me, by far my favorite distribution.. I'm running Development right now and it's so far not all the different from FC4 but that'll change draticly in the months to come.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    Fedora works for me, by far my favorite distribution.. I'm running Development right now and it's so far not all the different from FC4 but that'll change draticly in the months to come.
    Does that mean you are like running the Fedora Breezy?
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Does that mean you are like running the Fedora Breezy?
    Yep. Rawhide, as they call it

I'm excited to see this unfold

FC4 is a very exciting release too... A bit too on-the-bleeding-edge for my tastes as a primary OS, but nevertheless fun to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I guess I'm a geek, too--I find this exciting. I also find the future of Ubuntu exciting. I've partitioned my life to enable me to use both RHEL, Fedora Core 4, Ubuntu, Windows XP, and Mac OS X...the best of all worlds (Oh, and MVS, of course). Work: RHEL and CentOS, FC4 on a VM, XP, MVS, and Mac OS X. At home, Ubuntu, XP on a VM, and Mac OS X.

Any news on when Ubuntu might be implementing something like ExecShield and SELinux? These are very big selling points in the Enterprise (we're paranoid about our security )

Mark
    "Barn burnt down; now I can see the moon." - Masahide

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Yep. Rawhide, as they call it

I'm excited to see this unfold

FC4 is a very exciting release too... A bit too on-the-bleeding-edge for my tastes as a primary OS, but nevertheless fun to play with.

Rawhide is the term RedHat use for their development tree for the RedHat Linux products, the Fedora term is Development - but generally everyone just calls it all rawhide - old habits die hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    Rawhide is the term RedHat use for their development tree for the RedHat Linux products, the Fedora term is Development - but generally everyone just calls it all rawhide - old habits die hard.
    Yeah, devs call it "rawhide", the RPM system has yet to move away from the dist=rawhide, bugzilla calls it rawhide, etc etc etc. I think that name is here to stay
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

CD image generating tool

A tool to create CD images from a list of wanted packages would be very nice. The tool would need to generate directory images with all the desired packages, plus their dependencies.
    I really like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast