Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

I just upgraded to Hardy Heron, and now my US-122 doesn't work any more. The udev rules don't appear to be triggering at all. When I plug in my card and run lsusb, I get:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1604:8006 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface (without fw)
    I can run fxload manually:
    Code:
    $ sudo /sbin/fxload -D /dev/bus/usb/001/007 -s /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx
    and it works; lsusb returns
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1604:8007 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface
    so the firmware is loading. The problem is that usx2yloader doesn't see the card:
    Code:
    $ sudo usx2yloader
    usx2yloader: no US-X2Y-compatible cards found
    But according to lsusb the card is there, so I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone have any advice?

Beans

It turns out I'd copied my firmware /lib/firmware/ rather than /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/ - this thread explains. My lights are on and my music is playing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I was wondering... what will happen if I rename the **-tascam.rules with a lower number ( etc. 41-tascam.rules) instead of "/etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules" ?
    Is this going to give a better priority to the usb-sound device or it will mesh it up?

Beans

If I understand udev rules, and there's a good chance that I don't, the numbering affects the order in which devices load (or more precisely, the order in which their udev scripts execute). Lowering the number will make the script run before higher numbered scripts at boot time, which really shouldn't matter except if a) other things depend on this driver, or b) this driver depends on other things.

If you're talking about runtime priority, then no, it won't change that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think you're right, so if I want to change the priority that the system/kernel/cpu would use for my Tascam I'll probably have to "Renice Process..." from the System Monitor (KDE4) or the KsysGuard (KDE3). But which process is the one that manages my usb-soundcard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a quick observation. I had a bear of a time getting the US-122 to work with Jack. Here was the solution: I was trying to use a powered usb port. I unplugged from that and plugged directly into the computer usb port and ... PTL.... it worked! Hope this helps someone else.

Beans

I kind of need some help. Running hardy heron, ran through the directions on the ALSA site for the tascam US-122 and the hardy heron fix. Not sure which udev rules to use. When I plug in, i get the green light, but nothing can detect it. lsusb gives me something from TEAC corp, and not the Tascam 122 interface. Did I do something wrong in the directions? Is there a log I can post to help?
    Last edited by Intolucidity; July 22nd, 2008 at 05:29 AM.

Beans

If you don't have any TEAC components on your machine, maybe you downloaded the wrong driver from the ALSA page. (?) I can't recall all the hoops I had to go through but seems odd that a TEAC usb device would be showing up. It wasn't listed when you initially ran lsusb I presume?

BTW I was able to upgrade to Hardy and set up Pulseaudio using the "Almost perfect Pulseaudio set up" thread on these forums and it pretty much just worked. I was pleasantly surprised and it solved all of my Gutsy audio problems. I can pause without an annoying buzzing sound, my software mixer works now, I can play audio from multiple apps at the same time and I no longer get XINE errors in Amarok. I still don't know how to get real-time monitoring going when recording in Ardour but that's my last challenge audio-wise but I suspect I can't do it with a usb audio interface.

Beans

I believe it initially listed a TEAC device. What would be the best way to correct this (fix driver, etc.)?

Beans

oh then nevermind. I thought you meant after you'd followed the instructions a TEAC device appeared.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert just another US-122 user who muddled through installation. You may have already seen these in your travels but here are a couple links I bookmarked on the subject in addition to this thread. Hope it helps...

http://alsa.opensrc.org/Tascam_US-122
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TASCAM_US-122

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast