Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Tascam US-122 in Fiesty

Ok, really frustrating, Ive tried everything on here, and i know changes got made along the way to how to do this, can you possibly now have a more final HowTo list and what exactly to get here. Ive done everything and still get errors

Beans

I just got thinking and a few questions came to mind.
    1. Was this FAQ made on a 32 bit system, do you think there would be a difference between the 64 and 32 bit versions for this to work.
    2. Does Ubuntu studio come with the usxyloader installed so the tascam can be plug and played?
    3. Could a more up to date how to guide be made, I've been itchin to get this to work so i can be a linux man and ditch Winblows all together. I got Hydrogen to work, got JACK figured out, got Ardour to load up, studing up on how linux works more each day.

I think what i might do is format with a 32 bit version and try one more time. It's the only thing i can think of for why this isn't working.

Beans

Followed this tutorial and it worked to a tee, following some jigging to get the firmware in the right place. Currently unable to get the soundcard to work with Jack/Ardour though. Any Ideas?

Beans

Hello,

I followed the steps and get the green light, but when I try to play sound, I only get an error.

gstreamer-properties - Test (Default Output set to ALSA, Device US-X2Y Audio #0, Pipeline: alsasink device="hw:1,0"):

ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture: Could not get/set settings from/on resource

aplay US122-24bit-48k.wav (the wav from the alsa wiki):

Playing WAVE 'US122-24bit-48k.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
    aplay: set_params:965: Unable to install hw params:
    ACCESS: RW_INTERLEAVED
    FORMAT: S24_3LE
    SUBFORMAT: STD
    SAMPLE_BITS: 24
    FRAME_BITS: 48
    CHANNELS: 2
    RATE: 48000
    PERIOD_TIME: 56875
    PERIOD_SIZE: 2730
    PERIOD_BYTES: 16380
    PERIODS: (4 5)
    BUFFER_TIME: (227541 227542)
    BUFFER_SIZE: 10922
    BUFFER_BYTES: 65532
    TICK_TIME: 4000

It is a notebook (Latitude X1) with an internal soundcard, which also works when I select it.

I also tried editing asound.conf, but I just found out that it just gets overwritten anyway.

Actually I just received another error in gstreamer-properties when trying it:

Failed to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'

Yesterday it was only the "Could not get/set settings" one.

Any ideas what else I could try?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

have you tried system / preferences / sound to make sure alsa is selected?

Beans

Hi
    This tutorial worked perfectly for me, currently having some problems with Jack/Ardour though, as others have mentioned above.
    When I playback anything through Jack (either things I have recorded with Ardour or MP3s etc using XMMS with a Jack output plug) the playback is slowed down, to the point where everything is about a tone (in pitch) lower than it should be! Any Ideas?

TMS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and just discovered ubuntu a week ago (so far loving it!) anyway, I just follow'd the steps in this tutorial to make my us122 work but when i get to step # 4 I get this error message:

cp: target `/usr/share/alsa/firmware/' is not a directory: No such file or directory

I did the remaining steps just in case but it didn't work, btw I have a sony vaio laptop PCG-GRX550 and I plug the tascam in a usb 2.0 PCMCIA card, thanks in advance for any help you could give to me! Cheers..

Beans

i'm going crazy over this. I followed the howto, but still no USB light.

lsusb output includes
    Bus 003 Device 013: ID 1604:8007 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface

/etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules:

Code:
    BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
     BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8007", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"
    both /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx and /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx exist.

But nothing seems to happen when I plug it in! if I run
    Code:
    # sudo fxload -D /proc/bus/usb/003/013 -s /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx

# sudo usx2yloader
    manually, the fxload runs without errors, and usx2yloader hangs.

Is there a log anywhere I can look at? I want to see what's happening! I'm about ready to install Ubuntu studio instead... let that deal with my driver problem.
    Last edited by luigi6699; October 15th, 2007 at 09:43 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by richardjennings View Post
    this is the revised howto: aka post1. I'd like to think this is now completely correct. I apologize for previous inaccuracies.

revision 2 /16/05/07

I have followed several tutorials that have led to success. However every one I have found requires manually introducing the Tascam to Ubuntu after a reboot or an unplug.

This following procedure worked perfectly for me in Fiesty, is easy to do, and best of all - allows you to hot plug your Tascam, reboot & just generally take it easy.

I found the original tutorial here : http://alsa.opensrc.org/Tascam_US-122

Unplug the Tascam US-122 USB cable

1)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fxload alsa-firmware-loaders
    2)
    Code:
    wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/firmware/alsa-firmware-1.0.14rc3.tar.bz2
    3)
    Code:
    tar xjf alsa-firmware-1.0.14rc3.tar.bz2
    4)
    Code:
    sudo mv alsa-firmware-1.0.14rc3/usx2yloader/ /lib/firmware/
    4b)
    Code:
    sudo cp -r /lib/firmware/usx2yloader /usr/share/alsa/firmware/

//revision 1

5)

Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/55-tascam.rules
    the rules file is now open in gedit..

6) copy the following into the 55-tascam.rules file in gedit

Code:
     BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx -I /lib/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx'"
     BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8007", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"
    Save the file.

Plug in your usb cable and your tascam usb led should light up.

//revision 2

assuming it does, you can add another rule to 55-tascam.rules that automatically configures alsa to use the tascam as your default soundcard.

repeat step 5)

add below the previous rule:
    Code:
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#pcmC}; K=$${K%%D*}; echo defaults.ctl.card $$K > /etc/asound.conf; echo defaults.pcm.card $$K >>/etc/asound.conf'"
    KERNEL=="pcmC[D0-9cp]*", ACTION=="remove", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'echo defaults.ctl.card 0 > /etc/asound.conf; echo defaults.pcm.card 0 >>/etc/asound.conf'"
    Save the file

unplug / plug your tascam back in.

Now alsa should be working correctly with the tascam!
    I've tested up to step 6 in Gusty (Ubuntu 7.1) and i've got the most beautiful green light blasting from my Tascam US122.

Eventually, when i figure out the mess of wires clumped behind my machine, i will move on to making the US122 my permanent external sound card.

Kudos, richardjennings. Kudos.

- Curdo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio21 View Post
    Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and just discovered ubuntu a week ago (so far loving it!) anyway, I just follow'd the steps in this tutorial to make my us122 work but when i get to step # 4 I get this error message:

cp: target `/usr/share/alsa/firmware/' is not a directory: No such file or directory

I did the remaining steps just in case but it didn't work, btw I have a sony vaio laptop PCG-GRX550 and I plug the tascam in a usb 2.0 PCMCIA card, thanks in advance for any help you could give to me! Cheers..
    Hey Scorpio21,

Yeah, i hit that too. What you have to do is create that directory for Ubuntu to be able to copy the necessary files into it. Just before step 4, try this.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/alsa/firmware/
    The idea is that you want to "make" the directory (mkdir is short for "make directory") in a folder that only a superuser has write access to (that is where the sudo comes in).

Then you'll probably be good to proceed on with step 4.

- Curdo

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast