View Poll Results: Are you really working with Ubuntu?

Voters
1555. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. In fact, I use Ubuntu to earn a living

252 16.21%
  • Yes. I earn part of my living using Ubuntu

207 13.31%
  • Yes. I'm productive on Ubuntu but don't earn money from Ubuntu "work."

679 43.67%
  • Yes. I get stuff done in Ubuntu, but I still rely on Windows for some tasks.

280 18.01%
  • Not really. Ubuntu isn't functioning for me, but the programs sound good in theory.

46 2.96%
  • Not really. The programs in Ubuntu function properly, but they aren't up to snuff.

45 2.89%
  • Other (Please explain)

46 2.96%
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you really working with Ubuntu??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Are you really working with Ubuntu??

I don't use mine as a business production machine or anything like that, but I do use it as my primary (90+%) production machine for school. I find edgy quite reliable and I have rarely have issues. Then again I could just be blessed with a machine that came with only minor problems with existing, well tested fixes (ndiswrapper for my wireless card).

I do understand the frustration with going between MS Office and OO.org. That is frustrating but a fact of life when MS will not either comply with the open ISO standards that OO.org uses nor open their formats. I wish they would do either and let the battle be between more functional suites as opposed to format compatibility
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you want VBA with Excel, use Gnumeric, not Calc.

ACPI/CPU works perfectly for me with Feisty. On Dapper/Edgy I couldn't suspend or hibernate. Everything works perfectly. I had to install drivers for my card reader on Feisty. That's it.

I use this computer for everything for school. It's where I do my coding, and paper-writing and researching and take all of my notes in class.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just recently finally switched to feisty from xp, and so far has met all my needs. I mostly work with basic word processing, internet, and graphics (starting to get a grip on gimp). My Windows games don't work, but I'm okay with that. I needed to ween myself of gaming a bit, and I am enjoying some games in the repos (netpanzer FTW!). Compiz is also an endless source of easy entertainment. All my peripherals work now, compared to my first foray into linux 2 years ago, and a lot of that has to do with getting better support for hardware.

As far as stability goes, I think Ubuntu is only a little bit better than xp. In XP I got a sense of gradual and inevitable decay of stability, and I was more comfortable with it because I had experience. Whereas Ubuntu has given be random freezes (although I haven't had it recently), which can be nerve racking as I don't feel like I have as much control over it, but other than that everything has worked beautifully.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Genetically modified plants is like DRM for the worlds food supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

i've been using ubuntu for about 2 months and have loved every minute, i switched over cuz my 4 year old machine was really slow w/ XP

i spose you can call me a tinkerer becuz i'm just a high schooler and have no real job other than homework, and for papers i use OO and it works fine if i save it as .doc and i actualy have a 100 slide power point due in a week and hav about 30 slides kinda almost done and the OO Impress loaded all of the formats and animations that i had saved on the windose machine at school

i havent had any problems that I havent caused mainly messing with xorg.conf file(installing video drivers and beryl) and frankly I enjoy staying up til all hours of the night (on a school nights none the less ) and fixing the problem i created becuz it leads to screams of joy at 2 in the morning and screams of "SHUT UP" from my dad.. and the screams of joy are a great feeling and again these problems are ones that i have caused so they arent "out-of-the-box" problems

i dont have any of the firefox crashes or having to hard restart (when i mess up i mainly do the ole CTRL ATL BACKSPACE maneuver )

im using feisty fawn and have convinced a couple kids in my school to switch over (+1 for me ???)becuz of the stability

I think the main problem with people who think Linux sucks is.....(suspenseful moment of pauseiness)......patience

they see that it doesnt work and say "oh.... well this sucks", "i hate this", "it should work", "this is stupid", or "Windose doesnt do this"

and they just give up without trying to fix it...and well were all grown up (well mostly) we can fix things ourselves...and if we cant theres this amazing thing called the internet and a place on the internet called a forum where you can search for topics related to your problem...becuz 9 out of 10 times sum one else has had the problem and if you cant find it then you can post sumthin on here about it...and if it doesnt get answered right away...you can wait....have patience...if its a major problem there WILL be a post on the forums somewhere about it

P.S. yes pauseiness is a word or at least it is now
    Do you enjoy wonderful wood sculptures?
    Well then go here: Bruce G. Long Fine Wood Scupltures
    And if you really like it then add it to your signature
    And spread the word about these wonderful sculptures

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    If you want VBA with Excel, use Gnumeric, not Calc.
    ??? Gnumeric doesn't appear to support VBA at all ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am using Ubuntu as much as possible for work (I am a laywer) on my ThinkPad. The only real problem I am running into is the lack of good Linux support from Fujitsu for running my document scanner. The scanner works, but not as well as I would like. I am paperless, so scanner support is crucial. If I could get that to work, I can deal with the rest.

The rest being only these:
    - timekeeping & billing
    - PDF editing

Setting up VMWare will probably allow me to work around these problems; I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

I much prefer Ubuntu for a number of reasons. Some are unrelated to the OS, though. I feel strongly about FOSS. Ubuntu has also forced/encouraged me to find new ways to "free" my data files so I can get to them from anywhere, and has me thinking about different ways of setting up my own server.

I just feel like I can do more with Ubuntu, and I think I am going to search out some classes in developing so that I can contribute software of my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by kilou View Post
    I'd like to know if your really work with Ubuntu or if you just play with it (not games of course). I ask this because after 6-7 months of using Ubuntu I find it is quite unreliable. There are too many things that do not work at all or not properly, especially on a laptop like power management, cpu scaling etc. I mean things do work partially but they are still buggy.
    This might be the reason: http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1768...ork-with-Linux
    I've had some lock-ups with my laptop as well. Turning off acpi fixed that.
    Nuts. Totally linuts.

linux game: slingshot

Beans

Not exactly working, as its on my home computer and has been for two years now. Prior to that it was Mandrake/Mandriva for a couple of years which i found to be ok, but a bit unreliable particularly with updates and RPM problems.
    Then I was dual booting with XP and being a keen photographer most of my work was done on the Windows drive. The problem for me was a decent RAW converter and a more than 8 bit photo package which was solved with the Linux version of Bibble.

Have hardly booted the Windows drive since I installed breezy (only once so far this year and only for about 1/2 hour), and I dont miss it at all. Yes I have had the occasional program crash, and now and again odd things have happened, but no OS is entirely stable (well maybe Etch and some of the BSD's).
    Basically everything I want to do with a computer I can do with Ubuntu and I diont see any need to use anything else now.
    Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I don't really know what any of you guys are talking about, sure I've had a few problems with Ubuntu, I upgraded to Edgy the second day it was out and ran into a few little snags, but other then that it's been running flawlessly. I use OpenOffice for school, I play games all the time (graphically intensive like wow or some native linux FPS like), I produce music, do things online, e-mail, work with gimp and it runs perfect, Ubuntu hasn't once frozen on me for no reason. X server crashed a bit, but I edited my xorg.conf and it worked perfect. You guys are crazyyy.

Are your ports showing? -- NMAP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I made the switch from MS Windows XP to Ubuntu in October 2005 and I have never looked back since. Ok. There were some problems every now and again but nothing major and normally it was my own fault as I was still learning. I am still learning and I am using Ubuntu on both my desktop and my laptop computer now. Today I cannot even say what I liked about Windows anymore. Probably I just didn´t know better. Everything I did with Windows is running better with Ubuntu. The only two things that bother me right now with Feisty are the bug regarding unmounting external drives and my wireless LAN. Everything else runs perfectly on both my machines.

I keep recommending it to friends and even at work and people are getting more interested now...

Let´s see what happens when Dell starts selling its computers with Ubuntu preinstalled...

none of them
    "If nothing goes right...go left"

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast