View Poll Results: Are you really working with Ubuntu?

Voters
1555. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. In fact, I use Ubuntu to earn a living

252 16.21%
  • Yes. I earn part of my living using Ubuntu

207 13.31%
  • Yes. I'm productive on Ubuntu but don't earn money from Ubuntu "work."

679 43.67%
  • Yes. I get stuff done in Ubuntu, but I still rely on Windows for some tasks.

280 18.01%
  • Not really. Ubuntu isn't functioning for me, but the programs sound good in theory.

46 2.96%
  • Not really. The programs in Ubuntu function properly, but they aren't up to snuff.

45 2.89%
  • Other (Please explain)

46 2.96%
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you really working with Ubuntu??

Beans

Are you really working with Ubuntu??

I'd like to know if your really work with Ubuntu or if you just play with it (not games of course). I ask this because after 6-7 months of using Ubuntu I find it is quite unreliable. There are too many things that do not work at all or not properly, especially on a laptop like power management, cpu scaling etc. I mean things do work partially but they are still buggy. Moreover I can't see how OpenOffice can be said to be "compatible" with MSOffice documents. OK a simple Word document is likely to be readable but there's no way Calc can open Excel document reliably....and forget it if you use macros! So the only way to go is virtualization (even wine and crossover don't do a good job with Excel and VBA)....but then what's the purpose of Linux if you have to run XP inside it??? It is not just for MSOffice but many other programs simply don't run correctyl in Linux and must be launched in a XP virtual machine (want to call your friends in Skype with video, want to watch TV without TV card with Zattoo...). Also many people argue that Linux is far more stable than Windows. Well all I can say from my short experience is that I had much more freezing with Ubuntu in 6 months than I had with XP for years...and I'm speaking about bad freeze where the whole computer freezes and doesn't react anymore and your only choice is to hard reset the computer with the power button!! There are also inconsistencies when Ubuntu starts: sometimes CPU scaling is working, sometime it isn't and you have to reboot to make it work again.... Suspend and hibernation are just a headache and still don't work correctly now although I'm on the right track but all this is just way too boring!

Most of the 6 months spent with Edgy and now Feisty have just been about trying to fix things. I also breifly tried Dapper but my wireless network card wan't working properly wit it so I went to Edgy. Probably Linux is for developpers but I'm just a basic user that need a reliable system to work with.....and contrary to the common belief I really find that XP is much more reliable for me.

Am I really wrong, is there a way to really work with Ubuntu and have a working system or should I just give up with it? I kind of know your answer but I still ask...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Are you really working with Ubuntu??

I think I tend to agree with you. Lately, Ubuntu has become far too unreliable, mostly because the devs want to indroduce too many new features without enough testing. If you still want to try Ubuntu and don't mind to have a bit of "outdated" software, I suggest you go with Dapper, which is really rock-solid. Also, there a many many many Linux distros out there, not only Ubuntu
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

I've been "really working" with Ubuntu since Hoary. Granted I don't use a laptop, which is where a vast percentage of the problems tend to be.

I do agree with HymnToLife though, I tried Feisty for about a week or so and never could sort out all the problems I had (mainly hard freezes, but also seemingly random X failures), so now I'm back to Edgy and, honestly, the only thing I miss from Feisty is Sudoku.

Still I'll remain loyal because of the great community and philosophy. Personally I don't require any of the things you mentioned, kilou, so our perspectives are a tad different.
    Last edited by blackened; May 2nd, 2007 at 10:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I use Ubuntu on my home computer, it's dual boot with XP, XP is very reliable but I hate the need for firewalls/anti spyware/anti virus software that takes ages to load and slows the computer to a crawl. To be honest I also like the chalenge of using Linux and fixing the problems when the occure. So I guess I just play with it.

The only locking I've had with Ubuntu is when I was messing with Compiz and my xorg.conf file, the OS didn't crash but Gnome did, not really much difference if all your apps are running on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I know what you mean , but I use Ubuntu in the first place for safety reasons.
    I don't have to worry about viruses and spyware , ... or at least , I don't have the feeling I have to

I use it for about all my internet jobs , like surfing on the internet, é-mail , downloading (using wine + Utorrent ) , listening to webradio's (I didn't knew it was that simple before I used Ubuntu) .

If I find a program that can burn audio cd's with crossfade function ( for burning life-cd's from mp3's ) , I'll be very happy.
    I hope nobody tells here that this is working without crossfade , because it isn't !

I use my Windoos only for my music needs , and more specific for all my minidisc needs.

The programs in Ubuntu are indeed mostly 'simple' , but that's because we are used to use "all in one" programs , and there aren't much aio in Ubuntu.

And I like this forum a lot , because I don't have to worry for errors and big problems ( even if you can't boot anymore ) , there's always a solution.
    Just boot from life cd , and ask here.

The 2 main reasons that I still use Ubuntu is this forum and all his users , and the feeling it is very very safe !!!

I should recommend you to keep your system like it is , and just use windows if needed.

Greetings , Kuoi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    ...and, honestly, the only thing I miss from Feisty is Sudoku.
    Try gnome-sudoku from the repos...

Beans
    Distro

And to answer the question, sice I'm Linux-only, obviously I use Linux when I need to get something done. My OS of choice is Gentoo at the moment but Slack, Ubuntu and FBSD are all ready to go just in case I feel like using them
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i work with ubuntu, if you take writing university reports or making economical calculations a work... of course i use OO and only OO... so i have no problem with MSoffice files ... i'm waiting for MSoffice to start to support .odt files so my work could be also read (in right formatting) in windows machines... i usually convert everything to PDF so it is readable to all... i am known to be as aggressive as to send .odt files to my lecturers and demanding that they use .odt viewers or that they install OO... not because i'm a hot tempered person, but because i want to spread the word that .doc is NOT a standard... it is just a file format... and there should be a standard file format that is not economically linked to any specific company (read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument)

of course, if it is not working for you, you might consider not using ubuntu... or paying for crossover office

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I do not own a laptop (yet), so I have no experience with that.
    If you need windows for work or certain things then dual boot with windows. Nothing wrong with that. I still have windows on my machine, even though I rarely, if ever use it.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

I know what you mean; I've tried really, really hard to give Ubuntu the benefit of the doubt as I decided about 6 months ago to totally ditch Windows. I now run OS X on a Macbook Pro and Ubuntu Fiesty on a desktop.

I've been a little disappointed at times and were it not for my Mac I would have had to have gone back to Windows.

I experienced a major screw up in my Edgy to Feisty upgrade and even now none of my USB ports will work under the new kernel.

A lot of issues, such as OpenOffice, is down to software rather than the distro itself.

When you use OS X you get used to everything "just working" and for me I won't be 100% satisfied until I get the same out-of-the-box reliability I get from Apple.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast