Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: SSHFS AUTOmount on Feisty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: SSHFS AUTOmount on Feisty

Please delete this. I found the solution to my problem in this thread. sorry
    Last edited by Jungleboss; November 6th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
    "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma,
    a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt
    to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

Beans

Smile Re: SSHFS AUTOmount on Feisty

- 5 STAR scripting !!!!

I registered just to say SPANKS A LOT !!!!

Confirmed working on Maverick. Solid.

btw, fyi, and fwiw, this was the missing piece of my network-search-indexing puzzle. now gdsearch is crawling my doc server with no babysitting or cmdline sshfs cmds.

Beans

joe4379, I should warn you that sshfs can be unreliable under heavy load. If it works for you, then go for it. But don't be surprised when it randomly hangs or disconnects.

Darwin, with the proper parameters, a SSH link can be very stable.

I've tested playing remote videos, and working through internet.
    A well configured network can be used with fuse.sshfs for production with a file server (no Samba/CIFS, no FTP, no NFS).
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

Thanks for this awesome script!

However, for some reason, it prevents my machine from suspending or hibernating. (Maverick, Mactel)

I wonder if autofs (and its esoteric auto.master, auto.* config files) would hold up better to suspending.

I think is necessary to unmount when suspending or hibernating.
    I don't know which events can be intercepted to run unmounting and mounting commands.
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

I followed the instructions in this thread to persistently mount an sftp share between reboots, and met with authentication issues and errors at every twist and turn (most of which is probably due to me being a n00b). So that was all a good learning experience, BUT...

How's this for an alternative:

1. In gnome, got to System > Preferences > Startup Applications
    2. Click Add
    3. Enter this in the Command field: gvfs-mount sftp://location.to/my_bookmark

More here: http://www.mail-archive.com/nautilus.../msg05343.html

I'm using Maverick, and this worked perfectly for me, and took about 30 seconds with 0 command line (yes, I'm lazy).

This should work for anyone who can connect to the share using Places > Connect to Server, as a starting point. The resulting mount point is under~/.gvfs
    Last edited by ncolson; March 7th, 2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added verbage for googling purposes

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ncolson View Post
    I followed the instructions in this thread to persistently mount an sftp share between reboots, and met with authentication issues and errors at every twist and turn (most of which is probably due to me being a n00b). So that was all a good learning experience, BUT...

How's this for an alternative:

1. In gnome, got to System > Preferences > Startup Applications
    2. Click Add
    3. Enter this in the Command field: gvfs-mount sftp://location.to/my_bookmark

More here: http://www.mail-archive.com/nautilus.../msg05343.html

I'm using Maverick, and this worked perfectly for me, and took about 30 seconds with 0 command line (yes, I'm lazy).

This should work for anyone who can connect to the share using Places > Connect to Server, as a starting point. The resulting mount point is under~/.gvfs
    Adding 'gvfs-mount' to your startup programs is an acceptable solution, but be aware that if your computer frequently disconnects and reconnects to the network, you will have to manually remount your shares. The main reason I wrote this howto was to automate this process of re-connecting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by narcisgarcia View Post
    I think is necessary to unmount when suspending or hibernating.
    I don't know which events can be intercepted to run unmounting and mounting commands.
    If you follow the howto as written, then sshfs shares should be unmounted when suspending or hibernating. If not, then your computer may not be explicitly disconnecting from the network before going to sleep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm getting this for erros:

root@capone:/home/ryan# /etc/network/if-up.d/mountsshfs
    read: Connection reset by peer
    /home/ryan/fuse failed to mount as #1000
    root@capone:/home/ryan#

root@capone:/home/ryan# id ryan
    uid=1000(ryan) gid=1000(ryan) groups=1000(ryan),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),44( video),46(plugdev),104(fuse),111(lpadmin),119(admi n),122(sambashare)
    root@capone:/home/ryan#

fstab properties:
    sshfs#ryankrizan@youecho.com:/home/ryankrizan /home/ryan/fuse fuse comment=sshfs,noauto,users,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000, allow_other,reconnect,transform_symlinks,BatchMode =yes 0 0

Removing uid/gid settings in fstab, able to run the mount script as root without issue. However, will not run at startup after network starts. If I run the mount script after network startup, it asks for a private keyring password.

Suggestions?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast