Thread: hd-dvd fiasco

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: hd-dvd fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    To people annoyed by this--

Digg is a social news site that thrives on user submitted stories. It's whole purpose is to connect people to news stories and generate ad revenue. By censoring these user submitted stores, it COMPLETELY UNDERMINES the site's main draw. Also, none of this "spamming" happened before Digg removed the posts today; it's a direct consequence of thosea ctoins. Previously, there had been the normal one to two posts about the key when it was released way back in February, and they weren't removed.

If you don't care, why are you still reading? Just try and watch your HD-DVDs or Blu Ray on Linux (without that very special key). Doing nothing is akin to saying, "The DMCA is a good law". The harsh restrictions on free speech are being felt by those Digg users. And as opposed to copyright, there's no benefit to consumers with that restriction.

What's next, posts to Digg being filtered one by one by *AA-approved moderators?

if there's anything that's negative about this, to me, it's that it overshadowed the Ubuntu-Dell announcement.
    What gives the users the right to post content that could get Digg in legal trouble, no matter what they think of the DMCA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is ridiculous that laws can be so stringent that certain numbers can't even be distributed freely.... However, given the rate of DMCA takedowns and legal actions I am seeing for that key, and the last round of this with DVD CSS, I totally understand why Kevin Rose is removing these -- for his own legal protection. If you would like to start a group of websites with that number all over it, do whatever you want. Just please don't do it at someone else's risk
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

What gives the users the right to post content that could get Digg in legal trouble, no matter what they think of the DMCA?
    Why should anyone protest when unjust laws are passed? Like saying, "Rosa Parks, get back to the front of that bus!"

The "right" is that digg is unmoderated (or was, until they took the DVD stories down). Google indexes and caches lots of illegal content too. BTW the biggest hub-ub is that Digg took HD-DVD sponsorship money . That would explain why the earlier stories hadn't been removed, if the timelines matchup.

The only solution to this is
    a) forced moderation of all Digg comments, thereby making Digg slow and useless
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    Why should anyone protest when unjust laws are passed? Like saying, "Rosa Parks, get back to the front of that bus!"
    You are free to protest when unjust laws are passed, but you have no right to force others into your protest. Rosa parks can sit wherever she desires on the bus to make a statement, but she can't force another black person up to the front of the bus if that other person is unwilling to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

I don't understand why "controversial" web sites and pages don't just move their pages to hosts in China or Russia where they are free from the reaches of US laws!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by kvonb View Post
    I don't understand why "controversial" web sites and pages don't just move their pages to hosts in China or Russia where they are free from the reaches of US laws!
    I was born and raised and still live in the US, and I wonder why our laws affect anyone in another country.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well yes and no, those countries are already experts at censorship too.

This is such funny news; we all knew it would happen but there you are.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

One thing's for sure, the next diggnation will be rather awkward.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Genetically modified plants is like DRM for the worlds food supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    I was born and raised and still live in the US, and I wonder why our laws affect anyone in another country.
    It's the power of politics, money (as in bribes and threats), and cowardice on the part of Governments like mine that bend and brown-nose to the US Government my friend!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you want, we can start a torrent of the numbers. I'll start seeding...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast