Thread: Open Source Learning - where do you see the future of education headed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Open Source Learning - where do you see the future of education headed?

Since joining up with the Ubuntu army, I've been having a lot of thoughts about where Open Source is headed, and I'm extremely curious about bringing the open source philosophy to education and training environments.

I would love to hear your thoughts/experiences with what you would consider "Open Source Learning" and where the public consciousness is headed regarding education, particularly in light of things like wikis and tremendously dynamic and versatile forums like these.
    Last edited by Kevanx; May 2nd, 2007 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Open Source Learning - where do you see the future of education headed?

For higher education, the open courseware initiative taking place at MIT and elsewhere looks like a promising option for those who normally don't have access to high quality materials.
    See: Open Courseware Consortium and MIT Open Courseware
    Last edited by zmr; May 2nd, 2007 at 05:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Open Source Learning - where do you see the future of education headed?

That's incredible, especially that a school like MIT would lend its credibility to pioneering the idea. The university I went to was so incredibly guarded with even the most basic course materials. Thanks for the link. Does anyone else have any similar or different links, or better yet, ideas about it?